NFL Draft

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
We should have a few:

Former Georgia Tech wide receiver Darren Waller could go relatively early in the NFL draft this weekend, according to ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., part of an analysis of the Yellow Jackets’ top draft candidates.

Former Tech guard Shaquille Mason was pegged as a fourth- or fifth-round draft choice. Kiper called him intriguing because he can potentially play center and guard. Mason has never played center, but has trained at the position since the end of his senior season.
It sucks that Smelter got hurt, it would have been awesome to have two WRs drafter out of our offense. It might still happen!

Wide receiver DeAndre Smelter could have been a fourth- or fifth-round pick had he not torn his ACL in late November, Kiper said, implying he’ll likely end up as an undrafted free agent.
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/04/28/2134/

gtzulu

Georgia Tech Fan
Can't wait to have Shaq drafted so we can cancel the "Paul Johnson can't put OL in the NFL" myth. (Yes, Cord Howard, but he was a Gailey recruit.)

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Seems to be little consensus on Smelter now. I've seen mocks putting him all over the place from 4th round to UDFA. 4th Round is a little ambitious with his injury but I still believe he'll get drafted.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I still think Smelter gets drafted.

I understand what the draft guys are saying, and where they will probably go in the draft, but does any Tech fan believe that Waller will have a better NFL career than Smelter? I mean, I think it is possible, but if I am a betting man, I bet on Smelter having the better career all day long.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I understand what the draft guys are saying, and where they will probably go in the draft, but does any Tech fan believe that Waller will have a better NFL career than Smelter? I mean, I think it is possible, but if I am a betting man, I bet on Smelter having the better career all day long.
It depends. I think Smelter is a better WR, but in the right place, Waller could be deadly. I said before last season, he would be perfect with Brady in NE. He is a matchup nightmare, a la Antonio Gates. You could move him around to match up with linebackers and safeties. The NFL is all about exploiting matchups because the talent differential isnt that great.
Smelter will be a steal for someone though. He could be a great second receiver in a year when he's healed. I hope the Falcons get him late.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think Smelter could get drafted late. The issue could be one of whether all the interested teams truly think he would be available to woo successfully as a undrafted free agent or whether one of the teams less certain of that will go ahead and draft him. Teams try and hide their intentions to such an extent and then make decisions based on their guesses as to what everyone else is going to do as well. So I could see a team either "panicking" or simply deciding that they cannot afford to let Smelter slip to being an UDFA.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I can see multiple scenarios that make Waller a better NFL WR than Smelter. Will it happen? I have no idea. Either way, someone is going to get a steal in Smelter. Like CPJ said all along, he will play on Sundays. I still think that both get drafted. I wonder if Shaq will go in the draft though.

thwgjacket

I can see multiple scenarios that make Waller a better NFL WR than Smelter. Will it happen? I have no idea. Either way, someone is going to get a steal in Smelter. Like CPJ said all along, he will play on Sundays. I still think that both get drafted. I wonder if Shaq will go in the draft though.
Everything I've seen says Shaq will go somewhere between 4-6.