Duke-4: 4,5,5,6
UVA-0
VT-4: 1,1,3,6
Miami-4: 1,1,5,6
BC-2: 3,6
ND:9: 2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5,7
Mutts-9: 1,2,2,3,3,3,5,6,7

GT-2: 6,7

Uva jumps out at me as does ND and Georgia. Pitt lost a good number of contributing players
Clemson lost less in number but more in importance imo. Lawrence is of course huge but Rodgers and Etienne were a big part of their success the last two years imo.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I am actually really happy with our number. we only had like 5 players who were trying to go pro.

Camp
Curry
Harvin III
Askew
Blancato

At least if this tweet is too be believed.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
right, I put our number there for comparison purposes.
I would guess that uva had a similar number of guys available to draft, hence the goose egg. It would be interesting to take all the teams total number draft eligible and look back at those recruiting classes.
For example Alabama had 8 first rounders from the 2017 class(!), rated number one. Georgia was 2 in 17, and one in 18. They just had 9 guys drafted, and 7 guys drafted last year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And we gripe about losing games. Only UVA had a worse showing in the NFL draft than GT. This speaks to the talent deficiency with GT football. This was a good year for us and we had a 6 round WR and a 7th round punter selected.

until we get a lot more talented players on the roster, which seems to be happening, we will be fighting uphilL battles against our opponents.

players drafted by NFL teams tend to be real difference makers in college. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds are extreme difference makers. We simply need a bunch more of these level players.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Off of NFL.com: team-number picked: round picked

Clemson-5: 1,1,2,3,5
UNC-5: 2,3,3,4,6
Pitt-6: 3,4,4,5,6,7
Duke-4: 4,5,5,6
UVA-0
VT-4: 1,1,3,6
Miami-4: 1,1,5,6
BC-2: 3,6
ND:9: 2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5,7
Mutts-9: 1,2,2,3,3,3,5,6,7

GT-2: 6,7

Uva jumps out at me as does ND and Georgia. Pitt lost a good number of contributing players
Clemson lost less in number but more in importance imo. Lawrence is of course huge but Rodgers and Etienne were a big part of their success the last two years imo.
This isn’t very surprising. Even though tech does have talented players, I haven’t seen NFL talent from our upper class men the last few years. VT is one I’m interested in seeing. They did have some talented classes several years ago, but now that they are losing multiple first round picks, I’d be interested to see how the recent recruiting struggles impact them in the coming years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This isn’t very surprising. Even though tech does have talented players, I haven’t seen NFL talent from our upper class men the last few years. VT is one I’m interested in seeing. They did have some talented classes several years ago, but now that they are losing multiple first round picks, I’d be interested to see how the recent recruiting struggles impact them in the coming years.
There's another reason. Tech still has a very young football team, especially since everybody got another year due to the disease. We didn't have that many people who wanted to forego another year of ball and try to go pro.

We'll see going forward.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
And we gripe about losing games. Only UVA had a worse showing in the NFL draft than GT. This speaks to the talent deficiency with GT football. This was a good year for us and we had a 6 round WR and a 7th round punter selected.

until we get a lot more talented players on the roster, which seems to be happening, we will be fighting uphilL battles against our opponents.

players drafted by NFL teams tend to be real difference makers in college. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds are extreme difference makers. We simply need a bunch more of these level players.
You should be encouraged that almost all of our draftable talent will be on the roster next year since we only lost two to the draft. I thought I heard UGA set a record for most players taken in 1 draft, so hopefully that means they take a step back next year, rather than they simply reload. The data above only shows 9 ACC teams, so it is an incomplete picture of how we did vs conference opponents.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
You should be encouraged that almost all of our draftable talent will be on the roster next year since we only lost two to the draft. I thought I heard UGA set a record for most players taken in 1 draft, so hopefully that means they take a step back next year, rather than they simply reload. The data above only shows 9 ACC teams, so it is an incomplete picture of how we did vs conference opponents.
This is our ACC+uga slate for next year, in order.
Teams like ND, Clemson, and ga have continued to recruit at a high level, so I wouldn’t count on them being “down” athletically. Maybe down experience but they aren’t going to put 2 stars out there because of a draft.
Teams on “our level” recruiting wise may yield good analysis. UVA may be better next year than expected. Teams like VT, Pitt, and Duke may have trouble reloading the talent they lost.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Teams like ND, Clemson, and ga have continued to recruit at a high level, so I wouldn’t count on them being “down” athletically. Maybe down experience but they aren’t going to put 2 stars out there because of a draft.
Teams on “our level” recruiting wise may yield good analysis. UVA may be better next year than expected. Teams like VT, Pitt, and Duke may have trouble reloading the talent they lost.
Makes sense, I only brought that up because of the person using your data to compare us to ACC opponents. I appreciate the effort you made to give us the data you did. The hope on my part is that the UGA lack of experience gives us more of a chance. This is one of the reasons I always wished we played UGA earlier in the year, before they get it together.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

We won 11 games in 2014 and only had 3 players drafted the next year. We won 9 games in 2016 and only had one player (a kicker) drafted. On the flip side, in 2003 we won 7 games and had 5 players drafted the next year. In reality, there is a balance between coaching ability and talent that leads to wins. If we are going to need 5+ players drafted every year to win football games, then we are in trouble because that is never going to happen consistently.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If you look at the past 5+ years the ND, UGA numbers of draftees is in their normal range. The ACC teams are also at a fairly consistent talent level less VT which seems trending down while Miami and UNC have trended way up.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
We won 11 games in 2014 and only had 3 players drafted the next year. We won 9 games in 2016 and only had one player (a kicker) drafted. On the flip side, in 2003 we won 7 games and had 5 players drafted the next year. In reality, there is a balance between coaching ability and talent that leads to wins. If we are going to need 5+ players drafted every year to win football games, then we are in trouble because that is never going to happen consistently.
We won the ACC in 2009, and had 2 first rounders in 2010. All the top 3 were long time NFL starters. 2014 was a strange one, but you have two NFL starters, with one being the best TE in the NFL. But I will agree that 2014 was Paul’s finest coaching job, and we had non-pro but great talent(jet, Laskey, synjin, etc.) to go along with those guys.

Fwiw, I don’t think getting 5 guys drafted every year is attainable either. But I will say that you should have years where you have 4+ Or at least a couple higher round picks,because if not, you do not have the talent to consistently compete.

I don’t think anyone is under the delusion that this staff is gonna out x-o PJ, but they need to out jimmy-joe to have any sort of good result.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
We won the ACC in 2009, and had 2 first rounders in 2010. All the top 3 were long time NFL starters. 2014 was a strange one, but you have two NFL starters, with one being the best TE in the NFL. But I will agree that 2014 was Paul’s finest coaching job, and we had non-pro but great talent(jet, Laskey, synjin, etc.) to go along with those guys.

Fwiw, I don’t think getting 5 guys drafted every year is attainable either. But I will say that you should have years where you have 4+ Or at least a couple higher round picks,because if not, you do not have the talent to consistently compete.

I don’t think anyone is under the delusion that this staff is gonna out x-o PJ, but they need to out jimmy-joe to have any sort of good result.
You could make a case that the 2014 team currently has the best kicker, tight end, gunner, and run blocking guard in the NFL.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think/hope that VT is bleeding talent and not replacing it based on their recent recruiting, feels like that is going to catch up to them hard soon.....UVA is also possibly heading down a rough path with a great coach who is a bad recruiter, the exact opposite of what they had previously

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Camp is the first Paul Johnson recruited position player to be drafted since the 2015 team. That's the longest period with no position players drafted from Tech by a wide margin. But people blame this staff for the last two losing seasons. The most recent position player drafted from Tech prior to Camp was a grad transfer brought in by Collins.

If this staff had inherited the same talent Johnson did, things would be different. Johnson inherited 8 NFL draftees from Gailey for his 2008 and 2009 teams, including 2 first rounders. That's why he won 74% of his games the first two years but only 54% of his games over the next 9 years (with the help of 10 FCS wins). Johnson only brought in 11 drafted position players in 11 years. There are probably some FCS teams that did as well or better.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think/hope that VT is bleeding talent and not replacing it based on their recent recruiting, feels like that is going to catch up to them hard soon.....UVA is also possibly heading down a rough path with a great coach who is a bad recruiter, the exact opposite of what they had previously

VPI has added I believe two 4* players to their roster since NSD 2019 (1 recruit and 1 transfer). The way their 2023 class is trending they’re gonna have a bottom 3rd roster in the ACC as soon as 2022. That’s gonna put them on par with Duke, Cuse, WF, and BC.

Their 2022 roster might end up being legitimately less talented (247 team talent metric) than any roster CPJ ever fielded. Hard to believe how quickly they’ve tanked.

UVA board actually seems to be happy with how they’re recruiting right now. Which is strange because as you mentioned they’re slowly bottoming out as well (though not as low as VPI).

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
VPI has added I believe two 4* players to their roster since NSD 2019 (1 recruit and 1 transfer). The way their 2023 class is trending they’re gonna have a bottom 3rd roster in the ACC as soon as 2022. That’s gonna put them on par with Duke, Cuse, WF, and BC.

Their 2022 roster might end up being legitimately less talented (247 team talent metric) than any roster CPJ ever fielded. Hard to believe how quickly they’ve tanked.

UVA board actually seems to be happy with how they’re recruiting right now. Which is strange because as you mentioned they’re slowly bottoming out as well (though not as low as VPI).

I don't see the level of panic from VPI fans that I would expect, either, though I don't check in on them that often. I suppose it's always easy to talk yourself into being hopeful. (Unless you are a GT fan, of course)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don't see the level of panic from VPI fans that I would expect, either, though I don't check in on them that often. I suppose it's always easy to talk yourself into being hopeful. (Unless you are a GT fan, of course)

Im in DC and surrounded by them. I think the casual VPI fan isn’t really zeroed in on recruiting and their schedules have been incredibly soft the last couple years (last decade really). So they’re annoyed that they’re not competing for the ACC right now, but aren’t really seeing the impending cliff that’s in front of them.

Their 247 board kid of gets it. Most them understand their bowl streak (now over) had been propped up by weak schedules and wanted Fuente fired after 2020 because he clearly can’t recruit at all.

They did just announce a coordinated School/AA funding effort specifically to put their football program on par with the factories over the next couple decades. We’ll see if it pans out though.

If they keep Fuente they’re basically conceding that they’ll have one of the least talented rosters in the league. But if they fire him I don’t know what decent coach is going to want to inherit a bottom-3rd roster with a fanbase that has upper-3rd expectations. It would be a bigger rebuild than we’re going through right now. Without the Atlanta recruiting bed.

Im in DC and surrounded by them. I think the casual VPI fan isn’t really zeroed in on recruiting and their schedules have been incredibly soft the last couple years (last decade really). So they’re annoyed that they’re not competing for the ACC right now, but aren’t really seeing the impending cliff that’s in front of them.

Their 247 board kid of gets it. Most them understand their bowl streak (now over) had been propped up by weak schedules and wanted Fuente fired after 2020 because he clearly can’t recruit at all.

They did just announce a coordinated School/AA funding effort specifically to put their football program on par with the factories over the next couple decades. We’ll see if it pans out though.

If they keep Fuente they’re basically conceding that they’ll have one of the least talented rosters in the league. But if they fire him I don’t know what decent coach is going to want to inherit a bottom-3rd roster with a fanbase that has upper-3rd expectations. It would be a bigger rebuild than we’re going through right now. Without the Atlanta recruiting bed.
Um...They had the 45th ranked class in 2021 and we were 48th. So their recruiting is slightly better than us. Their advantage is they don't play UGA and Clemson, or rather Clemson not that often. Fuente, he is as big a mystery as our staff right now.