Next Year's QB Situation

GTonFowlerSt

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on what people think our situation will be at QB next year. With Johnson, Oliver, and Graham still eligible, Yates presumably stepping into a bigger role, and optimistically Tucker Gleason will be good enough to not have to red-shirt freshman year, it seems like an awfully crowded position. A few scenarios I think are plausible:

1) Yates is awarded the starting job with Gleason and Graham as backups. LJ sits the whole season/transfers, and TO switches positions

2) TO and LJ share the starting job similar to this year in hopes of improvement, while Gleason and Yates get limited snaps. James Graham switches positions

3) Yates starts the year off as QB1 but then Gleason sees most of the snaps after game 5 or 6.

Can't wait to hear why I'm wrong! Roast away!

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It literally could be any of them or several of them starting. I don't even know who's starting this weekend. Personally, I would be surprised and a little concerned if TO or LJ establish themselves as the starter going into next year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling with a deeper, healthier O Line we won’t see TO at QB unless it’s a snap or two in some set. I can see him being a utility type. KR PR RB SR etc. I think he’s back here now because the staff knows he’s the only one that can make something happen with his legs when the pocket breaks down.
I’d like to see Graham or Yates. I like s kid that can run and pass effectively.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1) I think Oliver switches positions based on how he has been used this year. Next year we'll have at least Graham, Yates, and Gleason with LJ possible as well.

2) Based on what I've seen Graham would be the likely favorite to start in that case. LJ hasn't performed well, has been injury prone, and has less eligibility. Graham has the advantage over Yates and Gleason of being playing this year. I assume Yates will redshirt but he could get some experience, but I'm not sure if we go that route since Graham needs that experience just as much. Probably depends on how well Yates looks in practice.

3) Wouldn't surprise me to see LJ transfer. He's not clearly ahead of guys who have more years of eligibility and the coach/staff he spent so much time in isn't here. If he can be a graduate transfer QB with 2 years of eligibility he'd probably be viewed favorably by several smaller schools.

4) As far as the grad transfer thing goes, I'm just not sure unless we really don't view Graham or Yates as being the answer. I really only see the advantage there if you want to redshirt Gleason but already have a good idea that he is going to start the following year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There is still a lot in flux, but here are some guesses:

If Lucas is healthy enough to be QB2, we begin transitioning Oliver to another position right away.
Graham gets the majority of PT for the rest of the year, which should tell us whether he is in the mix at QB for next year.
Get Yates some action in the final 4 games of the year (depending on how the season goes).
Gleason enrolls early and competes right away.

In my scenario, Lucas seems to be odd man out which would likely mean a grad transfer with 2 seasons of eligibility left. However, if Graham doesn't succeed, he could also be a candidate for a position change and maybe Lucas sticks around as a backup.

Then, there is the possibility of someone transferring in.

Clear as mud?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I foresee a 5 QB rotation next year.
PNUT reads swarm and picks LJ doesn't sub anyone for 2 years.

The idea of a senior transfer at qb is a starting to seem like a good idea.

Looking good against high school defenses is easy. The sophistication of college d is way more complicated.

We will know a lot more at end of year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I hate to say it because the kid had been through hell since he’s been here but I wouldn’t be shocked to see LJ transfer. He got an extra year so he’ll have two more years. I’d like tho see what he can do, but the injuries have been a big thing with him.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I too think Johnson will transfer unless he makes a big impression sometime this season. Graham is starting to look solid. Oliver is too good to sit the bench. Oliver is 6'2", but doesn't have the girth to be a tight end. I really haven't seen much from that position this year. Just thinking out loud, put some pounds on him and give it a try there or at H-back. He's a play maker and we really need him on the field (a lot).

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I predict a Grad transfer QB next year
Exactly what i’m thinking, the coaches are going to try hard to recruit a grad transfer, the question is will any decent transfer want to play behind this OL? look for LJ to transfer or hang it up. TO changes positions. Graham might grab ahold of the starter job this season if he gets the reps and things click for him. Yates and Gleason, who knows?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly what i’m thinking, the coaches are going to try hard to recruit a grad transfer, the question is will any decent transfer want to play behind this OL? look for LJ to transfer or hang it up. TO changes positions. Graham might grab ahold of the starter job this season if he gets the reps and things click for him. Yates and Gleason, who knows?
We’ll be recruiting OL transfers too. Huge gap there with no 2019 signees.

Deleted member 2897

Unless I am missing something, we’ve played every healthy scholarship QB in every game this year. Maybe we rotate 6 QBs next year, who knows.

Deleted member 2897

We’ll be recruiting OL transfers too. Huge gap there with no 2019 signees.

I mean we got DeFoor and Southers and they’re both starting, but not exactly lighting up the world. I’d rather let their recruited guys play and grow unless there is a sure fire transfer.