1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Next Supreme Court Justice

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by LibertyTurns, Jul 1, 2018.

1. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

No. He failed his first real big test, voting not to hear cases against pp

Whiskey_Clear and bwelbo like this.
  2. tbglover

tbglover Helluva Engineer

If I remember correctly that was the main argument the 1rst time that the ACA was heard before the Supreme Court which was in relation to interstate commerce. The government argued that they were not forcing people to buy a product or service because you could essentially opt out and that you would then pay a fine in the form of a tax which the court found was allowable. At least Chief Justice John Roberts agreed as the only "conservative" judge to vote in favor of the ACA.

bwelbo likes this.
  3. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

Its political theater. No injunction was issued, and if it were, it would be appealed and stayed almost immediately by a higher court before it is officially thrown out.

4. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

This is the last year of the Obamacare penalty. Starting in the 2019 tax year you cannot be taxed for not having insurance. It’s already been ruled unconstitutional. The fight is over whether or not the penalty will be enforced in 2018 seeing as the handwriting is already on the wall. The POLs want that revenue and most people will roll over & play dead and pay the tax under threat of IRS audit. How this is going to work from what I understand is the IRS will just block your tax filing. If you have a refund coming, well you’re screwed. If you overwithheld & you want your refund, you need to pay the Obamacare tax. If you owe taxes, well my advice is to give them the finger. They can’t tax you & their only alternative is to take what you’ve paid already to make up for the underwithholding. Just like every other government situation, it’s all f’d up.

bwelbo likes this.
  5. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

GT_EE78 likes this.
  6. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

Our next Supreme Court justice has to be a staunch constructionist. Roberts is no conservative and has no high regard for the Constitution as written. At best he’s a left leaning moderate who wants to kick Constitutional cabs down the road rather than ever make a significant ruling on any issue.

If we lose the courts we will have lost the country because the Constitution won’t be worth the paper it was written on.

GT_EE78 likes this.
  7. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

I noticed yet again today Roberts sided with the 4 Liberal judges to block new Asylum rules. I can’t see any relation between their ruling and the actual law. It’s crazy.

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  8. Whiskey_Clear

Judicial over reach pure and simply.

bwelbo likes this.
  9. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

RBG is the poster child for why we should have either term limits or age limits for judges, no one deserves a job for life without regard to their performance.

10. Whiskey_Clear

Even greater turnover could produce even more chaos on that court though. Possibly making it even more likely to confirm more justices just biding their time to unleash their political ideologies once confirmed.

11. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

unfortunately that risk does exist, i just hope RBG gets her dirt nap asap while we have a chance to get get a constitutionalist confirmed.

12. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

Roberts has proven to be a part of the Swamp, as many associated with Bush were......

Whiskey_Clear and bwelbo like this.
  13. LibertyTurns

Look what the Bushes have done to our great nation. They’re no better than the Clintons or the Obamas. It’s really sad when you analyze their overall contributions to the decline of our country.

14. Whiskey_Clear

Well they do seem to like one another an awful lot.

15. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

That's why they're so popular in the media, just like McCain.

16. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

They were actually amongst the worst Presidents we have had. The first Bush (bless his heart) lied to us all (Read my lips: No New Taxes.....and then he got elected and agreed to new taxes). Younger Bush wasn't real smart and put in place people like Roberts who have proven to be liberals in disguise.

17. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Notorious RBG was a no-show at SCOTUS today. Uh oh. Could you imagine if Trump got to nominate a 3rd supreme court justice in his first 3 years?

18. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

"notorious RBG" sounds like a rapper and yes, i certainly can imagine that :)

19. LibertyTurns

You mean we’d actually follow the law & decide cases consistent with what our Constituion says for 3-4 decades?

20. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

It would pretty much ensure that the court is expanded the next time Democrat’s are in power.