Next DC

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Another good DC to hire would be Andy Avalos of Boise State. He's done a very good job since hired as DC in 2016.
That would be strange. Boise is slightly larger than Macon, Ga. The university and state capitol dominate what would otherwise be a backwater town. Moving to Atlanta from there would have to have major culture shocks.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Personally I'd rather have a DC that was a gifted coach with a decisive scheme than someone who was rather generic and a good recruiter. Yes recruiting is a weak spot for us overall, and Roof may have been our best in that department, but we can't expect anyone we hire to vault is into the top 10 recruiting. We need to have as much personality on D as we do on O.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I want someone young. Our coaching staff is way too old. Need some youth
Yes!!!! I was telling my dad I hope some more guys are gone and some young dudes come in. Even if our DC is older (im fine with that) just bring in assistants who can relate to the kids and recruit better. Please and thank you!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Personally I'd rather have a DC that was a gifted coach with a decisive scheme than someone who was rather generic and a good recruiter. Yes recruiting is a weak spot for us overall, and Roof may have been our best in that department, but we can't expect anyone we hire to vault is into the top 10 recruiting. We need to have as much personality on D as we do on O.
CAM was by far our best recruiter imo, followed by Owens I think.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
As long as CAM stays on staff, then I'm not concerned about the new DC being an outstanding recruiter. Sure he needs to pick out his guys and close them, but CAM can do all the heavy lifting. As @tech_wreck47 and @Eli said, we do need to get some younger assistants on the Defensive staff if in fact Woody is the new DC.

Jmonty71

Banned
A lot of the talk regarding our next D.C. is in the Roof thread. So a new thread needed imo.

Whoever it is needs to be a fresh face imo. I think regardless of who we choose our D will be improved again next year. I think our talent has been improving and our experience and depth have as well. So the next guy won't have to wait 4 years to rebuild completely imo.

I'm not saying top 20D. I'd guess somewhere in the top 40. If the new guy gets us to top 20. I think we will all be able to say the hire was a resounding success. Here's to hoping.
I like Tom Kaufman at Chattanooga

Eli

Helluva Engineer
As long as CAM stays on staff, then I'm not concerned about the new DC being an outstanding recruiter. Sure he needs to pick out his guys and close them, but CAM can do all the heavy lifting. As @tech_wreck47 and @Eli said, we do need to get some younger assistants on the Defensive staff if in fact Woody is the new DC.

I'd like to see the entire D staff other than CAM fired.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I like Wofford guys. He also went to TL Hanna HS, which has turned out some good players over the years.

We need guys on staff that have recruiting contacts in a broader geographic area. That's a problem with Johnson's attitude about not hiring guys he doesn't know. They are either from the SE or have Navy connections. We need people on staff with recruiting contacts in South Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Pennsylvania....

I like having Catholic coaches like Ross, O'Leary and Friedgen were. The parochial schools fit our academic needs.

McCollum can't do it all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to see the entire D staff other than CAM fired.
I really hate that it's taken pelton so long to start rotating players and keeping them fired up when off field in defensive huddle. He has done a really good job congratulating ALL the players who make plays.
This year When 14 finally did get an interception with out dropping it, after CAM and 14 had a big celebration hug, pelton came and congratulated him . Ditto when Brandt m adee some plays.

The side line defense huddle has been fun to watch. The ol looks like they are eating sour cabbage. High fives verses dour faces