New Youtube Video previewing Coach Collins and our 2019 season

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The
Dodd also realized that academics was a force which worked both against us and for us. While Wally Butts was recruiting against us by plopping calculus texts on recruits' coffee tables, he emphasized the positive aspect of a degree from Tech, and had a lot of success doing so. Tech has so many advantages for serious students, and being in the middle of Atlanta is a big plus as well. Great for us that Collins is accentuating the positives of the school and the city.
And coach Dodd retired when he did because....

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ fought tooth and nail to expand recruiting budget/staff. Maybe he laid the groundwork for what we have now. Or maybe CGC’s juice brought the money for what we have now. But it’s not like CPJ wasn’t trying to build the program.
For the record, CPJ strongly emphasized the advantages of a Tech degree and Atlanta. CGC is doing it with a great deal of hype, more staff, better social media skills by far, and a ton of energy and enthusiasm. This should pay off, eventually. As of now, our average recruit rating is .8645 (16 recruits) vs. last years .8553. Eventually with the Collins effect, you have to expect more than a .01 difference (a couple of Bama defectors will obviously up this). It takes time and Coach Ross ask that we all give it to him.

Clearly, it will take more than the .01 to make up for the scheme advantage and CPJs game day coaching, which is why imo, we have to avoid the 2-4 win scenario this year and next, or the juice will take a hit. I believe 6 and a bowl will do just fine to keep it alive and well. Then we have a break-out 2021 and there's no looking back! Sound familiar? CBR did it, except more dramatically in terms of early struggles and then came '89 and '90.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
For the record, CPJ strongly emphasized the advantages of a Tech degree and Atlanta. CGC is doing it with a great deal of hype, more staff, better social media skills by far, and a ton of energy and enthusiasm. This should pay off, eventually. As of now, our average recruit rating is .8645 (16 recruits) vs. last years .8553. Eventually with the Collins effect, you have to expect more than a .01 difference (a couple of Bama defectors will obviously up this). It takes time and Coach Ross ask that we all give it to him.

Clearly, it will take more than the .01 to make up for the scheme advantage and CPJs game day coaching, which is why imo, we have to avoid the 2-4 win scenario this year and next, or the juice will take a hit. I believe 6 and a bowl will do just fine to keep it alive and well. Then we have a break-out 2021 and there's no looking back! Sound familiar? CBR did it, except more dramatically in terms of early struggles and then came '89 and '90.

Agree with most of this. I still feel like Nesbitt breaking his arm @VT in 2010 was the saddest thing that happened in CPJs tenure. Coming off of 20-7 and an ACCC the first two years and a chance to get to 6-3 with beatable Miami/UGA teams left on the schedule. Instead we lose that game and finish 1-4 down the stretch. Just killed momentum for the program on 1 freak play.

I don’t think a 3/4 win season would kill our momentum. The whole country knows it’s a rebuild. But a bowl appearance would certainly throw some fuel to the flame.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

3 of the top 7 players on Rivals from last year committed to this staff, including the top rated player.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
3 of the top 7 players on Rivals from last year committed to this staff, including the top rated player.
Trunuff jacketup, but CPJ signed mostly 3* with a smattering of 4* and so is CGC--so far. With his style and scheme change, it in all probability should go up.

If it does go up, a lot, we will be fine as long as we still graduate players and stay out of top 10 Fulmer Trophy rankings, otherwise, we lose our uniqueness. This matters to me and some others, but not so much to some.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

You brought two points that I have been thinking about a lot here lately. A . 01 or a little bit more increased rating isn’t going to do it. But more importantly, a 3 or 4 win season is going to hurt. IF we win 3or 4 you run the risk of losing a player or two. IF we only win 3or 4 this year and don’t go to a bowl game next year it will be very difficult to turn that ship around. I hope I’m wrong

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So why would a highky recruited player come to ga tech

1. First year for cgc w mostly low paid g5 staff. Gt did not spend A level $ on new staff .

2. No recent improvement ! Gt has no near sell outs except clemson and uga. Gt still has limited course selection and high academics.

3. In past Ga tech seldom got elite athletes and when they did they didn't shine day one (woods, devine, swilling ). Gt has had so few elite athletes that if one is injured its a major impact (gotsis, gamble, nesbit) .

4. The old offense had lots of rb that weren't good enough to recuited into top programs that run the new offense. Also the old offense wr were good at blocking and not at running routes. Also the old offense had 0 tight ends. The roster is way way out of balance and transition could take a years.

5. The defense will also be in 100% transtion from passive bend but don't break to an attack and break them scheme.

That we are not only near but ahead one of our better classes is a good sign .

The top recruit is a db which speaks to cgc's strong track record.

The data on the previous class is their final rating while the current rating are possibly going to increase slightly.

The recrting audience for the collins effect are stud hs sophmores The effect is just a door opener so the staff can get to meet them, keep them thinking about gt and ultimately earn thier trust.

Looking at 3 - I think we are doing great to be where we are in this years recuiting.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
How is it we are ahead of one of our better classes? The 16 so far for 2020 are .01 points above last years' class on a per recruit basis. I'm sure you know how class rankings are driven by the number commited at this time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How is it we are ahead of one of our better classes? The 16 so far for 2020 are .01 points above last years' class on a per recruit basis. I'm sure you know how class rankings are driven by the number commited at this time.

As i said with the items listed , i think we are doing well to be at 0.01 point per recruit better than last years class.

The new staff and old staff worked well to keep Yates and get Griffin in 19.

What do u think we have going to make elite players want to come to gt in 20?

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Dodd also realized that academics was a force which worked both against us and for us. While Wally Butts was recruiting against us by plopping calculus texts on recruits' coffee tables, he emphasized the positive aspect of a degree from Tech, and had a lot of success doing so. Tech has so many advantages for serious students, and being in the middle of Atlanta is a big plus as well. Great for us that Collins is accentuating the positives of the school and the city.

Calculus isn't even that bad is the worst part. If my dumb *** can pass calculus I'm sure anyone we are targeting can.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Calculus isn't even that bad is the worst part. If my dumb *** can pass calculus I'm sure anyone we are targeting can.
Unfortunately, that's not true from a much bigger context than GT football. The facts are not pretty.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
In context, that's untrue, but I am used to posters who are bigger fans of Johnson than of Georgia Tech ignoring the facts.

Ignoring what facts? The dude said Rivals rankings. If you sort Rivals rankings from 2019 the bottom 5 were all CGC signees. That’s literally an unbiased fact.

I’m a Tech fan. Which means now I’m a CGC fan. Which I’ve backed up with donations to give him a chance. You?

I think CPJ was a great fit for us. If CGC wins as many games then I’ll think he’s a great fit too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ignoring what facts? The dude said Rivals rankings. If you sort Rivals rankings from 2019 the bottom 5 were all CGC signees. That’s literally an unbiased fact.

I’m a Tech fan. Which means now I’m a CGC fan. Which I’ve backed up with donations to give him a chance. You?

I think CPJ was a great fit for us. If CGC wins as many games then I’ll think he’s a great fit too.

2019 class - cgc was hired just before the first signing date in December. Seems like he did a pretty good job hitting the ground running and the old staff helped keep the class together. It could have been a disaster.

Glad u have an open mind about cgc and are donating.

I have higher expectations than just winning more games in 10 years. I frame better expectations to recent years in the coastal.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
2019 class - cgc was hired just before the first signing date in December. Seems like he did a pretty good job hitting the ground running and the old staff helped keep the class together. It could have been a disaster.

Glad u have an open mind about cgc and are donating.

I have higher expectations than just winning more games in 10 years. I frame better expectations to recent years in the coastal.

I agree he did a good job with a short turnaround in the 2019 class. We needed a TE badly which explains the lower ranked TE. He filled some needs with what was left. If you go back and looks at the comment thread i was responding to my response makes more sense. But we had some internet hero trying to make it out to be a hater post.

Anybody can see CGC is a great recruiter with a great track record recruiting at basically everywhere he’s been. But I’m not gonna jizz my pants until we see wins on the flats. Don’t understand why that makes a long time Tech fan like me a “bigger fan of CPJ than GT.”