New Youtube Video previewing Coach Collins and our 2019 season

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really believe that if CPJ had been able (willing?) to sell Tech and Atlanta like Collins seems to be doing, or if CPJ had been able to have a large enough recruiting staff to do that for him and the school, we could have been a consistent powerhouse even with the TO offense.
If you could add Collins energy to CPJ we would havr won because Collins would have made the TO cool to match CPJs coaching experience.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I really believe that if CPJ had been able (willing?) to sell Tech and Atlanta like Collins seems to be doing, or if CPJ had been able to have a large enough recruiting staff to do that for him and the school, we could have been a consistent powerhouse even with the TO offense.

CPJ fought tooth and nail to expand recruiting budget/staff. Maybe he laid the groundwork for what we have now. Or maybe CGC’s juice brought the money for what we have now. But it’s not like CPJ wasn’t trying to build the program.

CPJ fought tooth and nail to expand recruiting budget/staff. Maybe he laid the groundwork for what we have now. Or maybe CGC’s juice brought the money for what we have now. But it’s not like CPJ wasn’t trying to build the program.
Oh, I totally agree. That's why I said "if he had been able to have a large enough recruiting staff." I know he wanted it, and if TStan had come earlier, he probably would have gotten it. It's for sure that neither DRad nor MBob would give him what he/we needed.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He needed better assistant coaches that wanted to recruit he only had one that liked to recruit

LibertyTurns

Banned
Oh, I totally agree. That's why I said "if he had been able to have a large enough recruiting staff." I know he wanted it, and if TStan had come earlier, he probably would have gotten it. It's for sure that neither DRad nor MBob would give him what he/we needed.
He didn’t.

He was a big boy. If he thought the guys above him were screwing him he could have just flipped them the bird and gone to Nebraska, Auburn, Tennessee, etc.

He stayed at GT and owns the results.

CGC will own his results. I’ll say it again, what else would we hope for other than him to do good?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You are spot on!!.

Collins gets a DC job at Ga Tech instead of Roof and he and Andy could have been a dynamic recruiting team.

Recruiting to the TO was hard. Imo its going to be way easier recruiting to the cgc defense than Roof bend but dont break defense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t.

He was a big boy. If he thought the guys above him were screwing him he could have just flipped them the bird and gone to Nebraska, Auburn, Tennessee, etc.

CGC will own his results. I’ll say it again, what else would we hope for other than him to do good?

You're criticizing him for staying here? For sticking it out even if he wasn't given the resources he needed? Of all the things I can see CPJ being criticized for, this isn't on the list.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Dodd also realized that academics was a force which worked both against us and for us. While Wally Butts was recruiting against us by plopping calculus texts on recruits' coffee tables, he emphasized the positive aspect of a degree from Tech, and had a lot of success doing so. Tech has so many advantages for serious students, and being in the middle of Atlanta is a big plus as well. Great for us that Collins is accentuating the positives of the school and the city.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t.

The timing of the 09 and 14 orange bowls gave the gtaa a false belief on minimal recruiting, low coach salaries, and unfunded debt.
Like Super, i believe if we had started slow and got serious about recruiting in year 2 by now we would have tons of long term relationships in ATL.

I for one accepted the orange bowls as a gift and as a sign of what a fully supported and coached ( defense, st, retirement center for assistant coaches) TO could become. The gtaa saw it as a way to save money.
Now , gt football deserves an admin that likes what cgc is doing in promoting gt.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The timing of the 09 and 14 orange bowls gave the gtaa a false belief on minimal recruiting, low coach salaries, and unfunded debt.
Like Super, i believe if we had started slow and got serious about recruiting in year 2 by now we would have tons of long term relationships in ATL.

I for one accepted the orange bowls as a gift and as a sign of what a fully supported and coached ( defense, st, retirement center for assistant coaches) TO could become. The gtaa saw it as a way to save money.
Now , gt football deserves an admin that likes what cgc is doing in promoting gt.

iceeater I get your point. You have been adamant about funding. There appears to be effort to get more funds from us "not so well off" alumni. And agree the program has been underfunded. I know my limit for support per year. I have yet to sign over my 401k to the institute, but they keep asking. Did the Clemson IPTAY result in their rise to predominance? I don't think so, but some sort of additional grass roots support from those that are "not so well off" might be just what gets us going.

I write this because I met Russ Chandler (Baseball Stadium guy) at a basketball game last season. And appreciate his support and for his humility. Not every Tech alumni is able to be so generous. But it just seems to me a more fundamental support plan for additional money needs to happen. There are some smart guys here. Surely there is a way to solve the problem you keep harping on.