New WBB Coach: Nell Fortner

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m not complaining about the previous coach, because she did listen to ideas and always referred me to her boss or an assistant. Also, fair to say Bobby had his own Frank McGuire “star system” with one per year(happy players, going 40 minutes a game)and CMJ had her “go to recruits” with the ones not working out, moving on for a transfer. There is a fine line on which style works at certain schools within a coaching philosophy during a specific time frame reflecting the current model for the game/sport. It was getting old at G.T. The edginess between the court and the athletic administration over facility issues, travel, et al, was carrying over and the players were getting the fallout. Therefore, multiple challenges were at force. Good recruiting with a mix of International and Domestic, however losing players and coaches who were risky as a “fit” to start with, created more turnover compared to her early years of building us up.

Nell, is going to coach ‘em up. She has really good assistants who have different specialties, but seem to be cross-trainable. Hopefully, we only lose them to HC positions. I like the recruiting in Ga. with 2, SC with 1, and the other SA through contacts in the Mid-West. Good students exist in the South, and she knows our fit.
We are going to be extremely up-tempo when these athletes start coming in to The Flats. We needed steady and she has brought nothing but that. No star system. Pan is going to get better shots, and is improving her game on the drive. Fletcher was meant to take it off the bounce and distribute when the drive is or isn’t there. I knew we had better shooters than what we were showing in the games the last few years. It takes teamwork and chemistry. She is going to let them play loose within the structure. If anything, we are ahead in the transition. Next year, we will run more and still be competitive. Shouldn’t fall off in record. Too bad Chanin Scott won’t play. She would have been nice for this coach(and DeMoss)to work with. Carson is excelling.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Great comments by everyone. When coach jo left sodid much of her supporters donations to gtwbb. If you like what you hear or see it would help to have donations ( and game attendance ) again to wbb.
I know some supporters who withdrew their season ticket money, even though they didn’t go to any of the games. I’m plotting my strategy of when it’s time to call them.
I’ll confess that losing our two Elizabeth’s and Alisha Lewis(star recruit who ended up at Syracuse)had me disappointed, although never to the point of withholding a couple of hundred dollars for tickets. I give more to St. Judes(which I should; so please pardon the poor analogy). Sir Richard Musterer(I’ve knighted him, not the Queen of England)does a phenomenal job on 91.1 fm when you can’t make it out to our beautiful arena or for all the road games. He’s been the only voice we’ve ever had.

The best value in sports is GTWBB, no matter how many games you go to.

Deleted member 2897

I know some supporters who withdrew their season ticket money, even though they didn’t go to any of the games. I’m plotting my strategy of when it’s time to call them.
I’ll confess that losing our two Elizabeth’s and Alisha Lewis(star recruit who ended up at Syracuse)had me disappointed, although never to the point of withholding a couple of hundred dollars for tickets. I give more to St. Judes(which I should; so please pardon the poor analogy). Sir Richard Musterer(I’ve knighted him, not the Queen of England)does a phenomenal job on 91.1 fm when you can’t make it out to our beautiful arena or for all the road games. He’s been the only voice we’ve ever had.

The best value in sports is GTWBB, no matter how many games you go to.

Thank you for all this insight and observations. I’d say there’s no better time than now to call those folks and go through what you just did here.