New staff additions

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Isn't it amazing what a little dedicated fund raising can do. Let's just keep it up.
It is however, a bit ridiculous that the AA has to ask for money to add these necessary positions in order for us to be competitive.

There should be enough money to make thus happen.

Oh, btw, The Hill just received another $20 million grant, ho hum....lol

It is however, a bit ridiculous that the AA has to ask for money to add these necessary positions in order for us to be competitive.

The AA wouldn't HAVE to ASK for money, if there had been a really organized system in place like there has been at Clemson for probably 100 years.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

The school cannot provide more money no matter how much money the school has. The school and student fees can only provide 10% of the overall athletic funding by state regulation. Currently they provide 10%.

Deleted member 2897

The AA wouldn't HAVE to ASK for money, if there had been a really organized system in place like there has been at Clemson for probably 100 years.

Yep. "GOLD". Gift Of Loyalty Donation. A cool GT sticker with "GOLD" underneath the famous "GT" logo. That's the alternative to the IPTAY stickers. Our current stickers are not branded well at all IMHO, are not hip that someone younger...or really anybody would want to put on their cars. Its too big, its got too much verbiage on the Alexander Tharpe etc etc etc. And their 13 levels of giving look like they were designed by an engineer instead of an expert in fundraising. Hopefully they'll get around to that at some point - I know they have like 100 things literally on their punch list to work on.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The school cannot provide more money no matter how much money the school has. The school and student fees can only provide 10% of the overall athletic funding by state regulation. Currently they provide 10%.

But not roll call. The issue is how fundraising is done at tech. Trust me on this. Roll call gets 100s of millions in endowment yearly. The AA cant tag along and roll call blocks them from their campaign. Unlike schools like clemson, gt finds a way to make sure they eat their own.

Capital campaigns at many schools help both allowing the donor to choose the avenue.

If we fix this alone. Tech would dominate in fundraising. Our roll call donations are outstanding.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But not roll call. The issue is how fundraising is done at tech. Trust me on this. Roll call gets 100s of millions in endowment yearly. The AA cant tag along and roll call blocks them from their campaign. Unlike schools like clemson, gt finds a way to make sure they eat their own.

Capital campaigns at many schools help both allowing the donor to choose the avenue.

If we fix this alone. Tech would dominate in fundraising. Our roll call donations are outstanding.
Our Roll Call campaign is relentless.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Who runs roll call and have they ever been approached by the AA or big wig athletic supporters with innovative ideas to "diversify" their windfall, specifically on donation solicitations such as giving donors a check box list of choices to earmark their donation? I imagine their is already a flock of academic program vultures circling this organization constantly lobbying for an increase in their allotment.

Secondly, how realistic is it to expect the typical "academic" donor to suddenly divert a portion of their donation to athletics?

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I agree a more defined donation program is needed that mirrors what other schools have (IPTAY, etc.) and I would bet TStans is working towards something like this, but part of the reason we're in the position to raise a 2-year 'salary pool' for these positions is because we're paying two basketball coaches not to coach. This fundraising effort gets us through the He****/Gr***** payment years at which point that money will be off the books. The other part being that our last AD was incompetent at fundraising..

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
Who runs roll call and have they ever been approached by the AA or big wig athletic supporters with innovative ideas to "diversify" their windfall, specifically on donation solicitations such as giving donors a check box list of choices to earmark their donation? I imagine their is already a flock of academic program vultures circling this organization constantly lobbying for an increase in their allotment.

Secondly, how realistic is it to expect the typical "academic" donor to suddenly divert a portion of their donation to athletics?

I would. In fact, until a couple of years ago, I didn't realize that it did not cover athletics at all, and I'm guessing some of the more casual fans are in this category as well. I live in SC, and in my mind, had always associated IPTAY as Clemson's version of Roll Call. I guess they have something different for academics only?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Ty
Thankyou for the clarification