New Season

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I see Jalon kind of the heir to Khalid's role: Athletic wing that's primarily more of a defender than a scorer. The problem with that is Khalid Moore is still on the team. I expect Moore may get some minutes early in the season, but unless he becomes an out and out stopper and really good rebounder, I think the early minutes will get reduced to almost nothing once we hit the meat of our schedule.

The best opportunity for a freshmen to come in and have an impact is at the 4/5 spots. Even then PF will have a rotation of Usher/Moore/Meka depending on the matchup and personnel on the court.

We all know Pastner values a player's ability to run his system and defend over talent. There will be some talented players that will either sit all season or get very small minutes because there's a glut of guard and wing players...and a lot of those players have been in Pastner's system for multiple years now.

Too much talent is good thing, but you also don't want young talented guys to become frustrated with their minutes.
I thought the same thing about Asanti Price but he got valuable minutes as a true freshman until it became apparent that he couldn't throw it in the ocean.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought the same thing about Asanti Price but he got valuable minutes as a true freshman until it became apparent that he couldn't throw it in the ocean.
A lot of decent HS players hit a wall at the college level. The game is much more physical and speed with which things happen can be overwhelming to some.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Where did he end up? Seems him and Christian Matthew's fell into the same vortex, never to be seen again.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
My $0.02 is that we need a pivot to emerge. Similar to what someone said about defense, if you can’t rebound you’re effed. Meka off of injury leaves me with zero opinion on him.

Ideally I would love to see Ush and Moore at the forward spots with either Rodney or Saba at the five. After seeing Howard last season, I hope Saba has developed because Howard’s hands leaves me with questions.

We could potentially go four (or five) guards with Ush at the five but that’s asking a lot of Jordan especially against the likes of Virginia Tech, UNC, Duke, FSU and possibly UVA depending on how Caffaro has developed.

We have guards, we have shooters and we have experience but we need a glass cleaner.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the scrimmage matters, but I don't put too much weight on the score. Mostly, it's to remind the team before the season that the other team wants to win, too. Also, to see what we look like in something closer to a game situation.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Unless we can get details on the scrimmage I don't put any stock in it as we don't know what approach the coaching staff was taking. It's very different if we were trying our best to win running our normal line up vs them getting playing time for everyone, or vice versa.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Unless we can get details on the scrimmage I don't put any stock in it as we don't know what approach the coaching staff was taking. It's very different if we were trying our best to win running our normal line up vs them getting playing time for everyone, or vice versa.
Remember, staff has to evaluate four freshmen, plus two coming off injuries and another who is transferring in. This is a process.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like Devoe only played 13 mins. Oats apparently played starters entire game. Deebo was leading scorer for GT

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Then Alabama did Gt a favor. We have to work in and evaluate 8 players that have not played significant minutes at all and Howard needs to learn how to be counted on to produce. Pastner's schemes are not simple so Alabama firing live ammo at all these players was a best case scenario for our staff to help these guys understand what it takes to execute at full speed.

Hopefully several of these young players showed promise and took steps to assimilate our schemes.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I know it doesn't mean much without full context but that's still really exciting to hear that Deebo led the team in scoring. I've been hoping he will be ACC-starting-caliber from the get go but it's hard to know that until you see him play a few games. We know Devoe will be Devoe and Usher will be Usher but add in a competant Deebo and then see some improvements from some of the bench guys from last year, maybe a strong impression from Smith...could make a nice run this year if all the pieces come together. I'm sure we'll have a better idea of that in a couple months.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
When Asanti left GT he played a season (two???) at Barton Community College in Kansas, then signed with NC Central.
I wonder if he joined of the Trebelmakers while he was there? Oops, my bad, that was Barden.

635670426963947942-TREBLEMAKERS-PITCH-PERFECT-2-A-CAPELLA-JY-0137-72966186.jpg

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know where else to post this but I'm 3 drinks in and need to say something. I never get sick of the Jordan Usher dunk in the ACC Championship to extend the lead to 6 where the entire bench jumps. I jumped off my couch at the exact same time. I've watched that moment constantly for 7 months.
I've rewatched that game prob once a monthfrom the end of march maddness till sept- i thought i was the only one, and my wife thinks im nuts for rewatching a game over a dozen times-lol