New Schedule Announced

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse has been better than us for 2 years running. In 2018 they won 10 games and almost knocked off Clemson in Death Valley. 2nd best team in ACC that year.
They had a really good and tough QB. He carried the offense in most games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Oh right. Huh? Is it that hard for the ACC not to schedule us playing teams at our stadium two years in a row, and us at Miami two years in a row? You would think it would be an easy thing, but what do I know?
Based on last year we are not going to get any breaks or favors from the ACC office. We are a bottom team until we prove otherwise. Should be motivation.

Ga tech

Georgia Tech Fan
So for all those who always want us to play the hardest teams every season, well you got UCF instead of GSU, GA Southern, Kennesaw, or Mercer. They are a top 20 team while we are a bottom 5 team. Instead of enjoying a likely win, we will probably get crushed. Enjoy....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's been my understanding with bowls that they were very much "made for TV" events anyway and that ESPN (which I believe owns most of them) really didn't care if there were fans in the stands anyway.
as can be evidence by looking at any replays of some of the lower-tier bowl games. Definitely many many many MP seats in the stands. Granted any of those empty seats were paid for though.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
So this means it won't be handled by the ACC. It's up to individual teams. Florida is one of the worst states in the union with handling Covid. Id suspect we have fans at Bobby Dodd. Especially since Kemp just made it harder for people to sue businesses over Covid.

@LibertyTurns could probably extrapolate more on this but not all coronavirus situations in Florida are created equal.

I am more worried about the game in Miami.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So for all those who always want us to play the hardest teams every season, well you got UCF instead of GSU, GA Southern, Kennesaw, or Mercer. They are a top 20 team while we are a bottom 5 team. Instead of enjoying a likely win, we will probably get crushed. Enjoy....

We may lose but we won’t get ”crushed”. GT has gotten better at every position except for TE. So, out of 22 offensive and defensive positions we will be better in 21 of them. And our kickers will be better than last year just by showing up. In college ball it comes down to QB play and a few extra stops on defense. At worst, we’ll be okay. At best, we’ll improve a lot.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@LibertyTurns could probably extrapolate more on this but not all coronavirus situations in Florida are created equal.

I am more worried about the game in Miami.
Hard to tell what’s going on at the moment quite honestly. Miami Dade, Broward, Palm Beach shutdown testing due to yawner storm. They’ve owned half the state’s activity & not positive but probably more than half the hospitalizations. The majority of other cases are in nursing homes where the frail are at extreme risk. It’s not clear if positives are dropping very rapidly or it was a blip due to media freakoutery over the storm. The rest of the state is mostly doing just fine, much better than our demographics should be as we tend to be older than the average bear. We peaked about 3 weeks ago regardless. Death count which will start dropping faster next week (lags positives about 3-4 weeks) & the media will have to wait for school related cases to sell more advertising bucks.

Bottom Line: Stay away from Miami until it gets better. I’d include not taking a team down there.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You must be a very young man. That’s not how it works at GT.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me why we have to go TO Miami for a second year in a row? Why couldn't they have just scheduled that in Atlanta?..

I think there are more important criteria for the schedule than ensuring that no team travels away to the same location as last year. They eliminated three of GT's Coastal opponents and added four additional opponents from the Atlantic division. The set up every team to have a bye in either week 3 or week 4. They kept OOC games in the schedule.(GT's is the same weekend it was previously scheduled, I'm not sure if the others are or not).

I doubt ensuring that GT doesn't travel to Miami two years in a row, or Pitt travel to GT two years in a row was a big consideration. It is quite likely that the schedule is going to have to be modified during the season, if games are even played at all. GT might not travel to Miami at all anyway. If I was in charge of making priorities for the schedule, continuity would be at the bottom of the list in a highly abnormal season.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'll be willing to bet if the Miami area doesn't get better in terms of covid, teams will not be willing to play down there. Would hate to play 1 game there and lose your next because half your team got covid.

I'm surprised MLB teams are willing to go to Miami and play.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'll be willing to bet if the Miami area doesn't get better in terms of covid, teams will not be willing to play down there. Would hate to play 1 game there and lose your next because half your team got covid.

I'm surprised MLB teams are willing to go to Miami and play.
Didn’t think about this but we might want to look at who Miami is playing because their schedule may disrupt ours. I’m just glad we’ve got them lat because as undisciplined as they are there will be nothing left of that team come November. They’ll either be all taken out by Covid, fighting each other or in jail.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
My first reaction is this is a good schedule for us.

It’s been a long time - maybe a decade - since I could look at the schedule and not think we were on the wrong end of fair. This is a very difficult schedule but not unfair.

Lame UGA bailed.

/