New QB coach!

GTJackets530

Georgia Tech Fan
If you clicked the link you would notice that his name is Bryan Cook, and he was the OC at Cal Poly. Previously a GA at Georgia Tech from 2001-2003.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I like the hire, seems to have coached some big names during his time at GT. The only unknown was how much he was a factor on the recruiting trail. Eric might shed some light on this.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
My thoughts on the hire...

Bryan Cook was the co-offensive coordinator/QB and Bback coach at Cal Poly. Cal Poly does run an option based offense...However it looks like Bryan had the offense in several different formations. I saw flexbone, pistol and shotgun. What this shows me is that Coach Johnson is serious about opening the offense up...of course Coach Johnson will still be calling the plays and all but I would look for him and Coach Cook to bounce some good ideas off of each other and see us in some formations we have not used a lot of. Bryan is good at fitting his system to the players and not forcing his players into a system. This year his team ran a lot of no huddle and had the 3rd rushing offense in the FCS.

The more I learn about this hire the more I love it...I think Bryan will be great for this offense and will help us further expand it. Really think him and Coach Johnson will be great together. The question on Bryan will be recruiting as this is a step up from the FCS..I think Bryan will be able to latch on pretty quick. He is a smart, young and energetic coach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
3rd in Rushing
117th in Passing
I'm not a fan of again his lack of better balance in his offenses. I do like that his offense had a fast paced no huddle approach, which apparently created a lot of explosive plays.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Since he's been at Cal Poly, it looks like their QB's have had pretty good completion percentages, typically over 57%.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
ATL1 said:
3rd in Rushing
117th in Passing
I'm not a fan of again his lack of better balance in his offenses. I do like that his offense had a fast paced no huddle approach, which apparently created a lot of explosive plays.

Do you really have to be balanced on O to be effective? Look at the past 3 National Champs (Bama, Auburn, and LSU) pretty sure all of them were 70/30 run:pass. I would to love see us get to that ratio (which is about 20 pass attempts in 65 play game) but we don't need to be to beat the big boys

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ibeeballin said:
ATL1 said:
3rd in Rushing
117th in Passing

Do you really have to be balanced on O to be effective? Look at the past 3 National Champs (Bama, Auburn, and LSU) pretty sure all of them were 70/30 run:pass. I would to love see us get to that ratio (which is about 20 pass attempts in 65 play game)

I agree. I think shooting for about 20 passes a game would be pretty good. I don't think we need to pass that much for the offense to be effective, but I think that's a pretty good number to keep QBs and Rx's happy, both playing and recruiting.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I would be very happy with 20 - 25 pass attempts, Alabame averaged 23 pass attempts per game last year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We cant set a certain amount of times we pass a game...it depends on how the defense is playing us

The key for us is %