New Pro Jackets Progress

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought a new thread would be a good idea to post updates on the progress of this year's draft class through the Summer and Fall Leagues. Here's a start:

Prospect Of The Game:

Catcher Kyle McCann

(2 for 3 / Home Run / Triple / Walk)

Catcher Kyle McCann had a big game for the A’s on Wednesday. This year’s 4th-round draft pick for the A’s homered, tripled, walked and scored twice, while 20-year-old Puerto Rican first baseman Santis Sanchezhomered. 19-year-old Venezuelan designated hitter Rafael Rincones doubled, drew a walk and scored twice, and this year’s 21st-round pick, left fielder Shane Selman, singled twice and drove in a run in the loss. 17-year-old Venezuelan RHP Luis Carrasco made the start and tossed 2 scoreless innings, while former infielder Jesus Lage was charged with 5 runs in just 2/3 of an inning, and 20-year-old Dominican RHP Keiro Munoz allowed 3 runs in 2 innings of relief to suffer the loss for the A’s.

Deleted member 2897

I thought a new thread would be a good idea to post updates on the progress of this year's draft class through the Summer and Fall Leagues. Here's a start:

Prospect Of The Game:

Catcher Kyle McCann

(2 for 3 / Home Run / Triple / Walk)

Catcher Kyle McCann had a big game for the A’s on Wednesday. This year’s 4th-round draft pick for the A’s homered, tripled, walked and scored twice, while 20-year-old Puerto Rican first baseman Santis Sanchezhomered. 19-year-old Venezuelan designated hitter Rafael Rincones doubled, drew a walk and scored twice, and this year’s 21st-round pick, left fielder Shane Selman, singled twice and drove in a run in the loss. 17-year-old Venezuelan RHP Luis Carrasco made the start and tossed 2 scoreless innings, while former infielder Jesus Lage was charged with 5 runs in just 2/3 of an inning, and 20-year-old Dominican RHP Keiro Munoz allowed 3 runs in 2 innings of relief to suffer the loss for the A’s.

I see in the minor leagues, they can't read scouting reports either. Idiots.

oU3PftZ.png

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone have any insight on why English is still unsigned? Who is his agent?

Could he be considering returning and working to become a 1st round pick?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don't think these guys have agents, just in case a deal isn't reached. Signing an agent means that they lose their eligibility in college.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't think these guys have agents, just in case a deal isn't reached. Signing an agent means that they lose their eligibility in college.
Most potential draft players have an “advisor”, which is basically an agent but they aren’t getting paid to avoid NCAA infractions. Once a player signs his contract the “advisor” turns into the agent and receives some percentage of the player’s signing bonus and paychecks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
English is signed. I expect details to be released tomorrow.

@JacketOff , You seem to have great scoop before it's published, perhaps the forum can count on you to help us unlock the mysteries of GT baseball.
Perhaps you have insider knowledge? Whatever your sources, I'm glad you are throwing us a bone with GT baseball news before it happens!
Thank you Sir!

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan

So here's the deal. These guys have "advisers", some since they were 14 years old. Advisers turn into agents when they sign their contract. That's why players and their families take their time to find someone they really like and trust. The guys do not sign anything with these advisers, it is an unwritten agreement that you are working with them. The amount of conversation and interaction should be minimal when it comes to games or in public. They will chat a lot via phone, the parents will chat with them via phone or text message. That's where Jonboy got in trouble with the Orioles prior to his medical showing up because his "Adviser" starting talking about him in the press and when the medical came up tried to leverage the situation in the local press - I am sure there is more to that story but that's the word on the street. That situation caused a whole lot of issues for Tech with NCAA and rest assured the Tech players understand how to present themselves publicly with their adviser.

You can always tell who is an adviser at a baseball game. Look for some mid-30's guy or event late 40's guy sitting with the parents and chatting usually in some sort of Nike, UA or Adidas gear, no team or company logos. The guy is most always alone and then that same guy will usually swing by the receiving line after a game and say hello to his prospect and will keep it very short unless they are a sure thing to go in the draft that year and it's later in the year. Then usually will have a few words with the coach.

When someone is ripe for an adviser, you will see the parents talking with quite a few of these types noted above at various summer series or late schedule HS games. Advisers keep their conversation and interaction on the field very short. All meals shared with an adviser are paid for by the player's family. There is a question on the NCAA questionnaire about your interaction with an agent and the player needs to be able to answer honestly that their interaction has been minimal. Everyone you think is a scout is usually a mixture of both. Scouts usually have backpacks and guns with them while advisers, just themselves. Not always the case but helps sort the majority of them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
@JacketOff , You seem to have great scoop before it's published, perhaps the forum can count on you to help us unlock the mysteries of GT baseball.
Perhaps you have insider knowledge? Whatever your sources, I'm glad you are throwing us a bone with GT baseball news before it happens!
Thank you Sir!
To be fair, he posted on his Instagram story about him being signed. I just tried to play this one off like I was a reporter breaking news. I do have a pretty close connection with the team, and am young enough to have interacted with a number of players over the years and to where it’s not weird that I follow them on Instagram. I’m also young enough to appreciate the very creative name I gave myself when I joined this board;)

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To be fair, he posted on his Instagram story about him being signed. I just tried to play this one off like I was a reporter breaking news. I do have a pretty close connection with the team, and am young enough to have interacted with a number of players over the years and to where it’s not weird that I follow them on Instagram. I’m also young enough to appreciate the very creative name I gave myself when I joined this board;)

I'm young enough too to be entertained by your handle, even without remarking that it was a play on words.
Regardless, please feel free to be a social media stalker and report back your findings. I'm busy with two little boys who are excited for the next season at GT baseball.
Go Jackets!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There’s a trio of former Jackets in the New York-Penn short season league right now. McCann, Thomas, and Willingham.

Thomas pitched last night, he got the win, but it was kind of ugly, although judging solely from his line score.
2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 K, 0BB

McCann also made his debut last night and went 1-2 with a 2 run homer and 2 walks.

Willingham made his debut tonight and didn’t factor in the decision
1 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 K, 0 BB. The one hit was a homerun

Willingham and Thomas’s teams are in the same division so they will play each other pretty often. Would be cool to see them match up against each other.