New O scheme position changes

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
New scheme means a bunch of guys, primarily RBs, will likely get moved to other positions or even the other side of the ball. What switches do y’all see to where?

TE- We have none currently. Camp seems like a no brainer to me to move to TE. Doesn’t quite have the separation speed ideal for WR. Strong as an ox, should be a good blocker on the edge. Has good hands. I think a move to TE actually benefits him long term and improves his prospects atbthe next level. He will be a nightmare for LBs to try and cover with his size and athleticism.

RBs- CGC says we have 13 and that includes our abacks. Abacks will probably be most adversely affected by scheme change. I think traditional tailbacks tend to translate well to LB or safety. Regardless I think some guys will move to defense and some, abacks, will move to WR. Gonna break down our Bbacks and abacks a bit.

Bbacks- I’m pretty intrigued at the prospect of Jerry Howard at MLB. He hits the line so fast at Bback...I think that translates to some great gap attacks with that great short burst he has. He’s very solid and not afraid of contact. Should have good closing speed chasing the ball so long as he takes good angles. I think our tailback depth next year will be Benson, Mason, and maybe Cotrell.

Abacks- Lot of young guys I don’t know well so Im mostly gonna focus on Nate. I think he could be pretty good at tailback. Some have questioned his ability to cut. Time will tell. I think he could also be a good slot receiver and might even be able to play a safety spot.

WR- I agree with @Ibeeballin that Carter is our obvious #1. This scheme change probably has him extremely pumped as it’s probably a better fit for his personality and what he played in high school. Other guys will fight for playing time and it will be interesting to see it play out. I’m
Hoping our #2 will be a guy with length. As stated above regarding TE I don’t think it will be Camp. I think Camp will ball out at TE. Cotrell could be a real headache as a slot receiver imo. Good hands and great speed. If he doesn’t make the 2 deep at tailback I think he will be our best slot receiver unless Graham slides over from QB.

Which brings me to QB. I have absolutely no clue how this plays out. I’m guessing some guys will switch positions after the 2 deep is set at QB but there are just too many unknowns for me to tackle this.

CGC (positions not coach) We are set up pretty good with maybe a very solid 3 deep at each spot.

OT- ugh. (Bring in some grad transfers)

Just my rambling thoughts. What say you?

I can see Camp at TE.
A backs, many will move to receiver with Cotrell being that offset running jets.
B-backs. I don't see Howard going to defense. We have 4 guys, don't forget that Freshman Malloy, he is built and quick. 1 will not see much playing time
Q everybody has their thought on this. We will have 3 and I am still saying that Oliver will be the starter. We will still be running a base option utilizing RPO and he has a leg up on the others.
The O line will be what it is.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I can see Camp at TE.
A backs, many will move to receiver with Cotrell being that offset running jets.
B-backs. I don't see Howard going to defense. We have 4 guys, don't forget that Freshman Malloy, he is built and quick. 1 will not see much playing time
Q everybody has their thought on this. We will have 3 and I am still saying that Oliver will be the starter. We will still be running a base option utilizing RPO and he has a leg up on the others.
The O line will be what it is.
I think the only chance Oliver is the starter is if we run the exact offense Urban Meyer ran at UF when Tebow was a sophomore (and even then I think LJ is more suited to that scheme). Oliver's HS coach seems to think he can fit any offense with work, so we will have to wait until spring I guess.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Actually GT has 11 backs cause 2 graduate.
We gonna add 2 or 3 this class though.
The smaller guys can be slot WR’s and some will probably either transfer out or become dbs.

Tucks & Basheer(sp) played TE in high school. Camp & Maybe another WR.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Believe it or not, I could see b-backs who are low on the depth chart playing tight end. If a walkon, for example, wouldn’t get playing time as a running back, I could see him getting time at tight end if he’s a good blocker and has decent hands. CPJ essentially used Quaide W as a tight end on several goal line sets by lining him up in an a-back spot and having him block on running plays.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Believe it or not, I could see b-backs who are low on the depth chart playing tight end. If a walkon, for example, wouldn’t get playing time as a running back, I could see him getting time at tight end if he’s a good blocker and has decent hands. CPJ essentially used Quaide W as a tight end on several goal line sets by lining him up in an a-back spot and having him block on running plays.
I thought and hoped similar. Most of our bbs aren’t typical TE size, but they could work the h back with some work.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

Benson, depending on how bounces back, should be a lock at running back. And then there are Howard, Mason and the aforementioned Malloy, who looked good in his brief appearances. That's a pretty deep and solid four right there, and then you bring in Touchdown Tony.
I just don't see any of those guys moving to D. I think we're pretty deep at positions over there.
My question is what happens to guys like Jarrett and Gantt. If we go one back sets, I think there's enough depth and proven talent that they won't be in the backfield. Maybe they move to a slot receiver type.
I don't know if the B backs like Howard, Mason or Malloy have the length or hands to be TEs. They are used to blocking.
(watched some highlights of recent years last night and realized we really didn't use the B backs in the passing game the last couple of years like we had before - the wheel route and even the flat route we ran with Laskey a few times, and the great routes we ran to Perkins coming out of the A back spot. Makes me wonder why PJ didn't dip back into those plays the last year or two. Maybe he thought other teams might be looking for them. IDK)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell's usage intrigues me. You gotta get him out there a lot but wonder where and how.
I like his tuoghness, straight line speed , ability to make a quick though small cut off blocker , and pass catching. I dont like him running the curve on an end run / jet sweep. Seems to flatten out or slow down instead of accelerating into curve. We will find a spot for his speed and toughness.

For jet sweep I think gnat and jarret can be good.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Benson, depending on how bounces back, should be a lock at running back. And then there are Howard, Mason and the aforementioned Malloy, who looked good in his brief appearances. That's a pretty deep and solid four right there, and then you bring in Touchdown Tony.
I just don't see any of those guys moving to D. I think we're pretty deep at positions over there.
My question is what happens to guys like Jarrett and Gantt. If we go one back sets, I think there's enough depth and proven talent that they won't be in the backfield. Maybe they move to a slot receiver type.
I don't know if the B backs like Howard, Mason or Malloy have the length or hands to be TEs. They are used to blocking.
(watched some highlights of recent years last night and realized we really didn't use the B backs in the passing game the last couple of years like we had before - the wheel route and even the flat route we ran with Laskey a few times, and the great routes we ran to Perkins coming out of the A back spot. Makes me wonder why PJ didn't dip back into those plays the last year or two. Maybe he thought other teams might be looking for them. IDK)

Wrt the passes to A and B backs, I'd be willing to bet that CPJ wanted to throw the ball this year a whole lot more than we did. However, as much as TQM was a baller he is not a passer. We will never know, but I thought that next year we would have seen a throwback to when JeT was here. Hitting the guys downfield and killing the D with wide open receivers has a way of pulling the safeties back and slowing down the sprint to the pitch man.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
My dream: 3/4 of the time we line up in the Flexbone with big a-backs, 1/4 the a backs move up to the line as TEs right before the set.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’ll say we have 2 Abacks who fit the role of a slot receiver imo. Ellison, who is coming in This 2019 class will be a RB probably, kinda see him in a “scafback” role. Mason would be the guy to keep an eye out at RB in a new type of system imo.

Carter, Dolphus, Camp, and Sanders will probably be your top WR’s.

OL won’t be as bad as some think imo, you have Braun who can play in most any system, and Defoor who has played at the college level in a different system than what we have been doing. Whoever plays center will have the easiest transition once the get a shotgun snap down. We could possibly get grad transfers if we try as well.

I’m not that worried about QB, I think we have 3 guys who can probably do what we need, and we could possibly get a transfer there as well.

It will be interesting to see if we have some transfers after the bowl game is over.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We are in desperate need of playmakers at LB. That’s why I’m leaning toward moving someone from RB if they are amenable to the move.
Hopefully we land Pettway, he could help a lot imo. I also think BJS could have a good jump at ILB going into his junior year.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Qua and Searcy graduate. Cottrell and Jerrett will be RS Seniors so if they don't grad transfer we only have to fit them in somewhere for a year before their eligibility is up. 3rd down backs or slot receivers or gadget plays. That leaves

Tijai Whatley: 6'2" and listed between 180-200 on different sites. Could stay as a traditional RB, play defense, or be a receiver if he has hands. Probably the easiest guy to find a place for.

Dontae Smith: 5'9"-5'11" 170-175. Probably not a RB. Could play DB or if he has hands he could be a receiver

Xavier Gantt: 5'8"-5'-9" 165-170. This is an interesting one because I have to clue where he fits in. He's a RS Sophomore, going to be a RS JR next year and never really broke into the rotation at A-Back. He's one of the guys that just doesn't have a home that I can see.

I think we have 1 AB committed now, but let's see if he sticks with us on signing day.

The BB guys will move into the traditional RB role in my opinion. Benson only has a year of eligibility left so we lose him after next year. 4 + the kid committed + maybe Tobias Oliver is about a normal depth chart for the position. If we get the kid from Rome then even better. We traditionally have a lot of attrition at the position anyway so even if we go into next year with 7 that isn't too lopsided imo.

I think moving guys to TE is all going to depend on signing day. If we get a transfer and sign that kid from Jersey then maybe we move some of the younger guys over. Cooksey will be a RS Senior and Camp a regular senior next year so I don't really see the benefit of having them relearn a position for one year and crowding a depth chart. Rather have younger guys get reps so that experienced depth is there next season. If we don't land any TEs or only one, then that's a different ball game because we are going to need warm bodies.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I most intrigued to see if any of the QBs develop as passers with proper coaching. If Oliver stays at QB and passes effectively that would be extremely eye opening.

Also intrigued to see if our OL can pass pro using a different scheme.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Will be interesting to see whether we lighten up some of our OTs to be a TE. One that comes to mind is Harrison Jump. Another could be Zach Quinney (although I think beefing him up might be a better plan).

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the O line and pass pro. It's amazing what narrowing of splits and a 2 point stance will do to help. We know they can run block so the off season and Spring will provide the time and structure to add pass pro to the ledger.