New (?) NCAA Academic Reform (?)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Don't ever forget where underwhelming John Swafford played and was the AD. There was an article published that said 174 athletes at UNC maintained eligibility as a result of the AFAM classes. There was also a thing a few years ago at FSU with some sort of self study credits. The work was being done by tutors. This is what happens when the athletic departments run the school. It's all about keeping them eligible to play and not about education.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I have somewhat ambivalent feelings here.

I have never, if I recall correctly, seen any post on the board saying the NCAA treated GT fairly. Actually, every time some school gets in trouble with the NCAA there is invariably a sarcastic post about how GT will get sanctioned because of it.

So do we really want to give this organization MORE authority, especially when it comes to having input into what classes university offers (if I understand this proposal correctly)?

What if this proposal evolved to where the NCAA had the authority to tell a school like GT it must offer more majors focusing on PE, Religion, Art? Are we ok with that?

I think swofford is trash for appearing with unc before the NCAA.

But, at this moment, not quite 100% sold on giving the NCAA this additional power.

Problem is unc scumbags got caught and did not get penalized like they should have been under existing rules.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
For the love of money is the root of all evil.....

I am a capitalist, but without some semblance of ethics and morals, any system crumbles, and this is just another sign of the times.
Capitalism only works when being humane proceeds being greedy. That's been lost for half a century

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I have somewhat ambivalent feelings here.

I have never, if I recall correctly, seen any post on the board saying the NCAA treated GT fairly. Actually, every time some school gets in trouble with the NCAA there is invariably a sarcastic post about how GT will get sanctioned because of it.

So do we really want to give this organization MORE authority, especially when it comes to having input into what classes university offers (if I understand this proposal correctly)?

What if this proposal evolved to where the NCAA had the authority to tell a school like GT it must offer more majors focusing on PE, Religion, Art? Are we ok with that?

I think swofford is trash for appearing with unc before the NCAA.

But, at this moment, not quite 100% sold on giving the NCAA this additional power.

Problem is unc scumbags got caught and did not get penalized like they should have been under existing rules.
I knew I could fine something I agree with you. :)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree the NCAA should not get involved in this. The NCAA dies not have the qualifications to decide if a class or a degree program are legitimate. In addition, the NCAA should not be involved at all in regulating the academic side of universities. It should be the other way around, the academic side of universities should be pushing for strong regulation of sports.

In the case of UNC, SACS should have punished the academic side of the school strongly. The accreditation agency is the one that failed to do their job.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree the NCAA should not get involved in this. The NCAA dies not have the qualifications to decide if a class or a degree program are legitimate. In addition, the NCAA should not be involved at all in regulating the academic side of universities. It should be the other way around, the academic side of universities should be pushing for strong regulation of sports.

In the case of UNC, SACS should have punished the academic side of the school strongly. The accreditation agency is the one that failed to do their job.
Or the NCAA could have a rule that being sanctioned by SACS is a violation and results in penalties?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

While that is theoretically a noble solution, it is as impractical as expecting doctors to regulate medical malpractice or lawyers regulating legal malpractice. In point of fact, such regulation NEVER happens except in the most extreme and visible situations (and thus is extraordinarily rare). In every other case, it is swept under the rug unless there is some agency outside of the profession which oversees it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Or the NCAA could have a rule that being sanctioned by SACS is a violation and results in penalties?

The rule would have to be made in such a way that it would then be useless. If a school is sanctioned because someone in the school administration is keeping records in a manner inconsistent with standards and no athlete records were involved, does the NCAA sanction the school? What if every single record in the school was involved, but those records didn't affect athlete eligibility? What is the sanction is about the number of hours dedicated to some subject in some degree for all students involved in that degree?

There are just too many things involved with accreditation that have nothing to do with athletics at all. The rule would have to be something on the line of if an accreditation sanction is enacted for a reason that resulted in an athlete maintaining eligibility that would have not been maintained without the accreditation violation then the athletic program can be sanctioned by the NCAA. It would be difficult to prove, and probably never acted on by the NCAA.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
While that is theoretically a noble solution, it is as impractical as expecting doctors to regulate medical malpractice or lawyers regulating legal malpractice. In point of fact, such regulation NEVER happens except in the most extreme and visible situations (and thus is extraordinarily rare). In every other case, it is swept under the rug unless there is some agency outside of the profession which oversees it.

Even if you believe that SACS isn't independent enough, the NCAA is not a viable alternative. Any organization that accredits educational institutions needs to understand standards of academic governance, academic organization, academic record keeping, academic standards for all degrees offered, academic standards for individual classes offered, and the list goes on. The NCAA does not have that expertise.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Even if you believe that SACS isn't independent enough, the NCAA is not a viable alternative. Any organization that accredits educational institutions needs to understand standards of academic governance, academic organization, academic record keeping, academic standards for all degrees offered, academic standards for individual classes offered, and the list goes on. The NCAA does not have that expertise.

I don't think the NCAA has any semblance of expertise unless you are talking about sweeping scandals involving the cash cows under the rug.

Deleted member 2897

As if we needed any more datapoints to show the NCAA is a complete joke.

Lee34102

Georgia Tech Fan
Every time I read about another abuse of power on the part of the NCAA, I wonder just how much worse it can get ... do they qualify for a RICO investigation yet?