New Movies

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You should rewatch "took a nap" before seeing Ad Astra on HBO.
If you ever watched Solaris (George Clooney), you would also appreciate (i.e. long for) a good nap.

On the other hand, Moon (Sam Rockwell) starts off seeming like it will be a dull, art-house “ ‘ “sci-fi” ‘ “ (1) film, but partway through there is a twist that makes it a pretty good flick.

—————
(1) When a film artiste decides to make a science fiction film, there are not enough quotation marks in all of ASCII-dom to appropriately qualify or quantify the lack of science fiction that will actually be in the film...

slugboy

Staff member
You should rewatch "took a nap" before seeing Ad Astra on HBO.

I saw it last year on a long flight. I wish I’d given you a heads up on it.

The special effects are wonderful. The cinematography is great.

I don’t know how the script started, but somewhere along the line someone decided only Brad Pitt could have an intelligent line or show any sign of more than marginal competence. The only point of other characters is to set up how superior Brad Pitt’s character is.

It’s still better than the DaVinci Code.

I have also seen Aquaman. I’m pretty sure Willem Dafoe only studied his lines the morning before the scene after getting handed an envelope full of cash. (Which I think Tommy Lee Jones also did in Ad Astra).

———

* I liked Solaris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you ever watched Solaris (George Clooney), you would also appreciate (i.e. long for) a good nap.

On the other hand, Moon (Sam Rockwell) starts off seeming like it will be a dull, art-house “ ‘ “sci-fi” ‘ “ (1) film, but partway through there is a twist that makes it a pretty good flick.

—————
(1) When a film artiste decides to make a science fiction film, there are not enough quotation marks in all of ASCII-dom to appropriately qualify or quantify the lack of science fiction that will actually be in the film...

LOL! I'm not even in to space movies, but it was on, so I watched it.

If I'm gonna watch a Sam Rockwell space movie, it's probably Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I saw it last year on a long flight. I wish I’d given you a heads up on it.

The special effects are wonderful. The cinematography is great.

I don’t know how the script started, but somewhere along the line someone decided only Brad Pitt could have an intelligent line or show any sign of more than marginal competence. The only point of other characters is to set up how superior Brad Pitt’s character is.

It’s still better than the DaVinci Code.

I have also seen Aquaman. I’m pretty sure Willem Dafoe only studied his lines the morning before the scene after getting handed an envelope full of cash. (Which I think Tommy Lee Jones also did in Ad Astra).

———

* I liked Solaris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aquaman was just stiff across the board. Momoa was OK and is serviceable for the team movies, but there was a lot of phoning it in for that movie.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just watched The Highwaymen on Netflix and I thought it was fantastic. For those of you that haven't seen it, it's about the two former Texas Rangers who chased down Bonnie and Clyde.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
* I liked Solaris
Solaris wasn’t a bad movie, it was just a sloooow movie.

You really have to be up for a plot that mostly evolves via dialogue, and you definitely don’t want to watch it while drinking your whiskey clear out of a college bell (as I sorta did).

Milwaukee

Banned
This evening.
4A8157F0-A575-4D0E-83CA-CC7769ED5211.gif

Milwaukee

Banned
For anyone wanting to watch the dumbest movie that I’ve seen in all my years, feel free to watch Doctor Sleep. It’s the supposed new sequel to The Shining. We laughed out loud throughout the movie at the ridiculousness of it all. What an epic fail.