New kick off rule

Jmonty71

Banned
Just curious, what is everyone's opinion on the new kick off rule?

How do you think that will affect games, going forward?

You can call fair catch, inside the 25 and the ball is spotted at the 25.

While I understand the player safety aspect, I'm not a fan of the rule change. I just hope, we are taught that rule and its used for our benefit .

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm hoping we only have 15 KO returns this year....I'll give up the shot of safeties to have that happen.

ST is probably the least controlled portion of the game (KO and Punting especially). It seemed like the punter for Alcorn didn't know where the ball was going when it left his foot...

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, what is everyone's opinion on the new kick off rule?

How do you think that will affect games, going forward?

You can call fair catch, inside the 25 and the ball is spotted at the 25.

While I understand the player safety aspect, I'm not a fan of the rule change. I just hope, we are taught that rule and its used for our benefit .

Kickoffs are one of my favorite parts of the game so it’s disappointing. They remind me of a scene from Braveheart. Anyway, I do want these guys to stay safe and I don’t want the future of football (CTE) to be risked for the sake of kickoffs. I think teams with a good return team will still return the ball which may catch some folks sleeping (refer to end of PSU/App State).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm willing to bet we've suffered more injuries than great kick returns over the years, so on the receiving perspective I like it.

Will be interesting to watch if opponents run the kick back or take the 25 - I know what Techs recent special teams history suggests the opponents should do..

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't like it a bit except that I think it helps us by largely neutralizing kickoffs as a factor in the game. So, because of that I like it.

Milwaukee

Banned
I just think it wasn't well thought out. It's not preventing the collisions. The thumpers and wedgebusters are still doing their thing. They just let up after they bust the wedge now because the play is over. Pointless.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Can’t stand it.
For 100 years kickoff returns have been a perfectly fine & fun part of the game, but now suddenly they’re deemed dangerous? Hogwash.
Now If a kick lands in the endzone, touchback. If kick lands anywhere from 1 to 25, fair catch. (Btw moving touchbacks to the 25 after millions of touchbacks to the 20 was a BS change too). Basically the only kicks that will get returned now will be squibs & line-drives. They’ve turned kickoffs into a pointless formality.

Animal02

Banned
Can’t stand it.
For 100 years kickoff returns have been a perfectly fine & fun part of the game, but now suddenly they’re deemed dangerous? Hogwash.
Now If a kick lands in the endzone, touchback. If kick lands anywhere from 1 to 25, fair catch. (Btw moving touchbacks to the 25 after millions of touchbacks to the 20 was a BS change too). Basically the only kicks that will get returned now will be squibs & line-drives. They’ve turned kickoffs into a pointless formality.
Michigan just ran one back 99 yds agains ND.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don’t like it as a football fan. But as a Tech fan I do, since returns are normally athletes vs athletes (rather than scheme vs scheme). If we can limit the number of times we have to out-athlete our opponent then I’m all for it.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a good return in the PSU game with a nice hesitation.

For thousands of years the earth was flat, but now suddenly it's deemed round? Hogwash.
- quote from the 17th century, probably

Players are faster and stronger, equipment is better, improved understanding of brain injuries... things change

stech81

Helluva Engineer
There was a good return in the PSU game with a nice hesitation.

For thousands of years the earth was flat, but now suddenly it's deemed round?
Wait are you saying the earth is not flat ? What is next someone going to say there is no Santa Claus. And people want to know why I drink.