New Game Plan

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We are doing this all wrong. Instead of spending money on coaches, we need to be spending money on players. With this new age of Name Likeness and Image combined with the Portal, this is very doable. Just identify the best Tackles, Guards, and Centers in Power 5 football and target them to transfer to Tech. We could set up a slush fund from the big donors and create some nice advertisement opportunities for them and hook them up with some sweet cash, wah-lah, we have a great offensive line. Even give them some incentive performances for winning. Do the same for the other positions of need and in a year or two, we would have a roster the likes of Ohio State or Georgia. Just have the tutors take the test for those with learning disabilities. (might get them out of having to pass with some new woke discrimination loophole)

That's where this thing is headed anyway so why not be on the leading edge along with the factories.

Go Jackets!

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I recognize that (legally) you cannot offer a player a NIL deal as an incentive to transfer.

But I'd bet Gibbs is being told through back-channels that "If you go to X, there's a pretty good chance you could pick up a $250K/yr deal" or whatever.

You know that stuff is happening all the time now.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Take the Gibbs situation for example: What if some wealthy Tech alum and business owner offered Gibbs a great NIL deal and he withdrew his name from the portal? I know that's unlikely, but it would certainly be unprecedented. It would be like an NFL player holding out from preseason camp to get a better contract.

It probably won't happen with Gibbs, but something like this is going to happen for some program at some point. When it does, players will see their true bargaining power, and boosters will have to organize in order to keep up. This will be the new arms race. Rather than seeing more $15 million dollar coaches, we will start seeing more $100K players and beyond.

I agree, at Tech we need to organize in order to funnel a larger percentage of our financial contributions directly to the players (legally of course). I think it's going to take business owners and entrepreneurs to lead the charge on this. Fortunately, there is a significant portion of Tech alumni and supporters who fit this description. I'm not one of those - happily employed by a large organization - but would be more than willing to strategically patronize the businesses of fellow Tech fans who are supporting student-athletes through NIL.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's all start a T-Shirt company called "Legal Way to Skirt NCAA NIL Rules". Pool our money to sign recruits. We'll sign the top recruits to NIL deals, have them wear our T Shirts for one Twitter post advertisement to satisfy NIL deal rules.

Problem solved.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure. See:

I think the same kind of thinking is endemic in college football, with a few exceptions. That's one reason why I liked Paul so much. Tech is just like Oakland in the film. If we try to compete directly with the Yankees (Bama, Ugag) we lose. It is an unfair game. What we need to do is find a niche and exploit it. We'll never get the faculty, the administration, and, for course, the General Assembly to go along with Tech becoming another UNC (good academics for most students, complete guts for athletes). We have to learn how to beat the system as thoroughly as Oakland did.

Hard, but this is exactly what Tech should be able to do.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Like the Waffle House idea but would serve Pancakes to the OL in hopes they translated that into Pancakes of their opponents on the field of play.

PS - I forgot no Pancakes at the House, only Waffles.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm not so sure. See:

I think the same kind of thinking is endemic in college football, with a few exceptions. That's one reason why I liked Paul so much. Tech is just like Oakland in the film. If we try to compete directly with the Yankees (Bama, Ugag) we lose. It is an unfair game. What we need to do is find a niche and exploit it. We'll never get the faculty, the administration, and, for course, the General Assembly to go along with Tech becoming another UNC (good academics for most students, complete guts for athletes). We have to learn how to beat the system as thoroughly as Oakland did.

Hard, but this is exactly what Tech should be able to do.

How many World Series' did they win??
" if you don't win the last game of the season, who cares?"