New formations..

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I know fans say they want to see new formations so i decided to start a thread. I think we should add in some power formations instead of shotgun. I would like to see I form and ace. I really think it would benefit us more than the pistol simply because i think we finally have the o line size to run it. Do you think this may happen Eric? Do you see us using something other than flexbone this season? Another thing i saw on GTAAs twitter page a picture of practice where they couldn't show, but it had to do with goal line offense. Do you know anything about this yall?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The only thing that CPJ would do as far as you're suggesting Brian is use a Power-I in short yardage and goaline. Power-I, meaning a regular I with FB and TB with an extra offset FB beside the regular FB, and usually a TE or two as well. He actually tried this some in '09 and has used it elsewhere. He likes the Power-I and the Power series off-tackle where you block down, block down (with OL) and kick out (with 2 lead backs). It's really a great short yardage package. And, he had the hosses to do it that year with Dwyer, Allen, and Cox (Allen and Cox the lead backs and Dwyer the TB). But, when he tried it the first few games, it didn't go well. Against Clemson we sucked especially hard and it almost cost us, so CPJ abandoned it and we've been running the QB-duck, QB-sneak, BB-Dive, and Sweep ever since. And, that has actually gone really well for us most of the time. I've always been impressed with our efficiency in goalline situations. But, there is still something cool about being able to line up in a power formation and run right at people and them know its coming and not be able to stop it. That's also what CPJ likes about that package. But, you've got to go with what you can do successfully.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The only thing that CPJ would do as far as you're suggesting Brian is use a Power-I in short yardage and goaline. Power-I, meaning a regular I with FB and TB with an extra offset FB beside the regular FB, and usually a TE or two as well. He actually tried this some in '09 and has used it elsewhere. He likes the Power-I and the Power series off-tackle where you block down, block down (with OL) and kick out (with 2 lead backs). It's really a great short yardage package. And, he had the hosses to do it that year with Dwyer, Allen, and Cox (Allen and Cox the lead backs and Dwyer the TB). But, when he tried it the first few games, it didn't go well. Against Clemson we sucked especially hard and it almost cost us, so CPJ abandoned it and we've been running the QB-duck, QB-sneak, BB-Dive, and Sweep ever since. And, that has actually gone really well for us most of the time. I've always been impressed with our efficiency in goalline situations. But, there is still something cool about being able to line up in a power formation and run right at people and them know its coming and not be able to stop it. That's also what CPJ likes about that package. But, you've got to go with what you can do successfully.
I absolutely despise the power I in short yardage and goal line situations. There is no reason to ever give a RB the ball that deep in the backfield when you need one yard or less.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I have never seen us in that formation... Maybe we will be doing that since the GTAA twitter page couldn't show the pics from that practice. The headline of the pic said "GT working on go alone situations can't show it"

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely despise the power I in short yardage and goal line situations. There is no reason to ever give a RB the ball that deep in the backfield when you need one yard or less.
yep, our TO works well IF IF we have a QB that can bull/slide in somehow-I'm not sure that JT can do it

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
In case some GT fans didn't get the MEMO with the departure of Mr. lee, we are a Triple option team. We are going to run that and run it well. There isn't going to be some dramatic shift to the shotgun or any other formations. There might be a couple of plays of something of that nature, but we are going to run the system of Paul Johnson....

It is what it is...

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Why not use the Wishbone like we do in the 4th and draw them offsides situations? Line up or motion to it and bam! We're running off tackle like it's 1987.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
In case some GT fans didn't get the MEMO with the departure of Mr. lee, we are a Triple option team. We are going to run that and run it well. There isn't going to be some dramatic shift to the shotgun or any other formations. There might be a couple of plays of something of that nature, but we are going to run the system of Paul Johnson....

It is what it is...

At least for one more year we certainly are.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to see us place a WR in the AB position as a "different" formation. One, I think Smelter could be effective taking a pitch on an option or run a pass pattern. There is not a running back that can run patterns or read defenses like a receiver can. It also makes the opposing team prepare for more diverse situations.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

It is what it is...

Correct you are - and it will not matter if we win 1 game or 10. That is what we will do - the race to become the most ego driven coach continues between CPJ & CCG .

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have never seen us in that formation... Maybe we will be doing that since the GTAA twitter page couldn't show the pics from that practice. The headline of the pic said "GT working on go alone situations can't show it"

He used to do with another coach's players but luckily he found something that works with his guys in these goal line and other short yardage situations.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Correct you are - and it will not matter if we win 1 game or 10. That is what we will do - the race to become the most ego driven coach continues between CPJ & CCG .
Not really, it's doing what you know and CPJ knows a lot and his scheme has many, many different looks built right in. What he does is choose from within his offense what plays and formations best suit the talent around him. Where's he gotten into trouble lately is when he's gone outside his offense to suit the skill set (or desires) of his players (mainly qb).

What people are saying is now we have a qb that is tailor made to run the basic plays and formations of his offense. There's a reason why these set of plays and formations make up the base, it's because they are the most effective. Also, when they are run to perfection, it opens up all the variations that spring huge plays.

As far as diversity goes, I don't care if we run the same play the entire game if it's moving the chains and scoring points. I don't care what it looks like like some do. I do care if it results in td's - that's all I care about.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Not really, it's doing what you know and CPJ knows a lot and his scheme has many, many different looks built right in. What he does is choose from within his offense what plays and formations best suit the talent around him. Where's he gotten into trouble lately is when he's gone outside his offense to suit the skill set (or desires) of his players (mainly qb).

What people are saying is now we have a qb that is tailor made to run the basic plays and formations of his offense. There's a reason why these set of plays and formations make up the base, it's because they are the most effective. Also, when they are run to perfection, it opens up all the variations that spring huge plays.

As far as diversity goes, I don't care if we run the same play the entire game if it's moving the chains and scoring points. I don't care what it looks like like some do. I do care if it results in td's - that's all I care about.
Kind of agree with you Cheese......got to dance with the girl you brought to the dance but after six years we have not seen the true triple option mainly due to players not offensive schemes.Yes we get in trouble in this offense with a busted play since so far we have trouble with third and five and if and its a unknown If,we get JT rolling we will be better but we still need hogs to move the big uns....interesting season coming soon at the stadium

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem with the triple option (IMO) is that hardly anyone is HS runs it. So when you get guys to GT, it is not what they are used to and takes time to learn. I also think the TO is outdated. IF* run correctly, it is unstoppable, but how many seasons will it take to cut your losses and try something else? How many winning teams (NC) run the TO?

Zero..

I think that is the problem, but I don't get paid to be a coach.