New Falcons Offensive Coordinator

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Falcons will have to hire a minder to follow him and make sure he isn't drinking himself to oblivion since he is an alcoholic who hasn't admitted he's an alcoholic.

Pretty much. He's widely regarded as a top offensive mind, but as you alluded to, there's some baggage there.

Read the thought on hiring him. He's a big West Coast Offense guy, as was Shannahan. Hiring Sarkisian will be very little transition. Plus you have one of the best QBs in the league who's very smart. Falcons should still be a good offense next season with all the weapons.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Falcons will have to hire a minder to follow him and make sure he isn't drinking himself to oblivion since he is an alcoholic who hasn't admitted he's an alcoholic.

That makes this a curious hire. I can see a guy who's had issues but who's working to get through them. But this guy had never publicly even acknowledged having an issue. Hopefully, for his sake, he's done so privately. I'll be curious to see how he answers the question, if asked.

ETA: Also, uh wasn't he supposed to be Bama's OC? If so, Saban probably throwing a leprechaun-sized hissy fit right now.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
That makes this a curious hire. I can see a guy who's had issues but who's working to get through them. But this guy had never publicly even acknowledged having an issue. Hopefully, for his sake, he's done so privately. I'll be curious to see how he answers the question, if asked.

ETA: Also, uh wasn't he supposed to be Bama's OC? If so, Saban probably throwing a leprechaun-sized hissy fit right now.
I will be interested in hearing how he responds to the questions as well.;)(y) This screws up Nick Satan's 2017 plans for Alabama's offense in a major way.:LOL:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest, the pressure of working for Nick Saban was probably going to drive him back to drinking. Way easier to coach in a situation where you don't have to babysit college kids, go recruiting, and not have a midgett micromanage your every move.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The more I think about it, the better I like it. No doubt DQ vetted him well (Pete Carroll) and others. Wouldn't be surprise if there is a clause in his contract regarding his drinking.

Did he vet him or did he call Pete Carroll and get a "Aw, boys will be boys. He'll be awright." I'd say there is at least some doubt. Jussayin.

And I doubt there'd be a clause about his drinking outside the standard "behavior-related" pieces.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not sure I'd have voiced it like Trufant...
"
Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant played for Sarkisian at Washington.
“That’s my guy,” Trufant said. “I went through a lot with Sark during my college days. I was in his first recruiting class.
“He came to my house and recruited. He’s a dope guy. A very strong guy. A leader. Very passionate about the game.” He definitely could get the job done.”

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Did he vet him or did he call Pete Carroll and get a "Aw, boys will be boys. He'll be awright." I'd say there is at least some doubt. Jussayin.

And I doubt there'd be a clause about his drinking outside the standard "behavior-related" pieces.

In my opinion he VETTED him, too much on the line for DQ and the franchise for him not have. It's clear this has been in works and not something thrown together. As to his contract, I don't know and neither do you but NFL franchises are not generally know for be foolish.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
"
“That’s my guy,” Trufant said. “I went through a lot with Sark during my college days. I was in his first recruiting class.
“He came to my house and recruited. He’s a dope guy. A very strong guy. A leader. Very passionate about the game.” He definitely could get the job done.”
This might be another problem of his along with his alcoholism:rolleyes::giggle:;)

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Milwaukee

Banned
Chip Kelly had the inside track for the Falcons OC gig, this one came out of nowhere. Word is, Saban is pissed and Kelly now lands at Bama. I like Kelly but I think we dodged a bullet.

Great hire Arthur and TD.