New Ceiling?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lots of talk in various threads alluding to the state of the baseball program & key things that need to be "fixed".

If I were to generalize/summarize, I'd say the majority have this "worldview" regarding the baseball program...in no particular order (well not really):
---coaching is likely the heaviest contributor to "mediocre" results in recent years. & that's unacceptable.
---injuries are a factor. Some (a few?) injuries must be attributed to coaching or process (i.e. recruiting broken players or teaching damaging techniques). Other injuries to random bad luck.
---our recruiting classes are generally "graded" high & in recent years, the results mean severe underperformance.
---Ga Tech's academic rigor creates burdens in recruiting process that other schools never have to worry about.
---Ga Tech baseball should be as good as it was 15-30 years ago. [foot stomp here...for effect & to setup my question]

Ok... all that for context to pose a serious (potentially depressing) hypothesis. Going forward, has the college baseball (to include recruiting) landscape changed to a point Ga Tech cannot/should not expect to compete "consistently" for 40-win type seasons.

I'm a long distance from the process. But things that jump out to me that this forum seems to just take for granted that I intuitively challenge are:
1) Recruiting rankings & evaluations are not that flawed.
  • Just because a guy or group of them say a kid is good or attaches a grade to him... does not make it gospel. I assume others find this information reliable. I just don't. Therefore, I am skeptical about any future value/expectation attached to a recruit or class. Not saying it's useless. Just saying I believe it's not a comprehensive or exact science...filled with flaws.
2) We've been a 40-win program before; therefore we should be one now or next year or in 10 years.
  • It's possible (I don't know), the college baseball landscape has changed in such a way that Ga Tech's "uniquely" high academic standards & fine margins for recruiting "errors" make it nearly impossible to compete with elite programs.
3) A new coaching staff is needed.
  • Who knows if new solves the problem? I assume this... CDH will not be around much longer. Not many coaches in best cases stick around that long.

Ok... I bring all that up to solicit good dialogue from folks smarter than I. Folks who I really would like to think big picture beyond the emotional declaration that simply getting new coaches will miraculously send us to OMAHA. The situation is much more complex & nuanced than that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
New coach definitely does NOT = Omaha! See UGA's experience the last few years as an example. They dumped Perno after four "bad years"... okay two of those stunk... they brought in Strickln from Kent State (5 NCAA Appearances in 7 years including a CWS season)... not so hot the last three years. ;)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
New coach definitely does NOT = Omaha! See UGA's experience the last few years as an example. They dumped Perno after four "bad years"... okay two of those stunk... they brought in Strickln from Kent State (5 NCAA Appearances in 7 years including a CWS season)... not so hot the last three years. ;)

No doubt. It seems to me it is rather like football, where people often agitate for coaching changes, only to (sometimes) regret it later. (UGag comes to mind here.)

On the other hand, sometimes you have to make said change, in order to go through the tunnel and come out the other side. I don't expect immediate results, and am no where near smart enough to know who we should hire, BUT Hall does strike me a lot like that dad gum coach down at FSU football when he was over the hill (or Paterno, or any number of other guys). Like Alabama at football, changing coaches is NO guarantee of success, but also like Bama, when you get it right it can pay huge dividends.