New Baseball Commit

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We apparently have a new baseball commit, Drew Compton, from a New Jersey school. They call him a Soph third baseman and the school is Gov. Livingston. Can anyone add more clarification to this?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a good story that includes background on his recruitment.

Governor Livingston sophomore Compton will be headed south in 3 years

Per his coach: “There were three reasons why Drew chose Georgia Tech,” Roof said. “Academics, playing in the ACC and the fact that he wanted to go away to school.”

“Oklahoma State also made a really good offer, but Georgia Teach is easier to get to and it’s the ACC,” Compton said.

A shorter summary from NJ.com: Gov. Livingston 3B finds right fit with ACC school

65Jacket

GT Athlete
My wife and I often eat at Doug's Place Restaurant in Emerson. Back in July there were always a large number of baseball players, coaches, and families eating when we were there. We talked to several of the players and one family about their tournament. It is quite possible that this kid was one of them.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's recruiting update for the next three years: http://www.beesball.com/recruiting.html

Baseball is our best major men's varsity sport. Probably because of the greater academic emphasis for the average player than football or basketball. So I'm not surprised with academics being the first reason. Kind of different to see a commit for three years out. Hope it works out for him and GT!

herb

Helluva Engineer
Baseball is our best major men's varsity sport. Probably because of the greater academic emphasis for the average player than football or basketball. So I'm not surprised with academics being the first reason.

Also boosted by the fact that there are only, what 12 or so scholarships for the whole team. Most players are on some fraction of a scholarship so the in-state tuition is a BIG deal. Plus Georgia produces a number of good players every year. There were only 4 states that had more drafted in 2018, the usual three - California - 149, Florida - 133, Texas - 105, and one that surprised me - North Carolina - 68. Georgia had 50 (4.1 percent of the draftees).