New Assistant Director of Player Personnel

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
He should have good local ties. But it seems funny that he left Decatur for Lumpkin due to family concerns only to come right back to Atlanta.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He should have good local ties. But it seems funny that he left Decatur for Lumpkin due to family concerns only to come right back to Atlanta.
He left because his wife also found a job in lumpkin. These are not high paying positions and they desired 2 incomes.

Gt job will be higher paying probably letting them start with one income safely enough until she finds a job or not work. The family reason wasnt like a sick mom etc

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know anything about this guy beyond a google search? Is he well connected into the Georgia high school football scene?

In my opinion, you bring a guy in from the high school ranks only if he's well connected and gives you an in in a recruiting rich territory. That's pretty much what's going on a lot with college basketball hires on the assistant level.

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
He has been a head high school coach in Georgia and Alabama. Was assistant at Sandy Creek back when Calvin Johnson was there. He also has coached at college level. Was graduate assistant at Alabama and coached I believe at VMI.. I think it's a good fit to get someone in at Tech that has contacts with lots of high school coaches. This has worked big time at Auburn. I know his former runningback he coached a few years back that went to Louisville just signed with my Chicago Bears (Senorise Perry)

Exactly my first impression. One year at Decatur, followed by one year at Lumpkin. Now back to Hotlanta. I am trying to imagine commuting from Cartersville to Decatur High. Holy Mole'!

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
I would think he was probably wanting to get back to the college level and from his past bio he grew up and his parents live in Fayetteville. Now go get us some players from Sandy Creek!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, what's your opinion on the hire?

I think it is a good hire...Not a home run but a good hire. I love his connections in Georgia and his past experience but I was looking for someone that had some ties to Florida.

This job is more important than a lot of people realize.

Only time will tell.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Anyone know anything about this guy beyond a google search? Is he well connected into the Georgia high school football scene?

In my opinion, you bring a guy in from the high school ranks only if he's well connected and gives you an in in a recruiting rich territory. That's pretty much what's going on a lot with college basketball hires on the assistant level.
The director of player personnel position is often (if not always) filled by a high school head coach. It was Butch Brooks under O'leary and Gailey, former head coach at Washington-Wilkes (home of Ed Wilder). He was a good one for a long time. Not sure about the ones before or after him. But, this sounds like another hire in the same vein.

Buzz1965

Georgia Tech Fan
The director of player personnel position is often (if not always) filled by a high school head coach. It was Butch Brooks under O'leary and Gailey, former head coach at Washington-Wilkes (home of Ed Wilder). He was a good one for a long time. Not sure about the ones before or after him. But, this sounds like another hire in the same vein.

Butch Brooks was a great guy and did a great job during his time at Tech. I think it's great giving this position to someone who is wanting to make it in the college profession and has roots in Georgia and Georgia High Schools!

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Played with him at GT, but know nothing of him since I graduated. I remember him being a hard worker. Sounds like he is a strong family man, which is good, but success most likely will be defined by how he connects with recruits. It's reasonable to assume he has good rapport with GA High School coaches. Hope his return meets great success.

ramblinwreck24

Georgia Tech Fan
Well whatever anyway...the edited version of what I said...

I think it's a terrible hire for a number of reasons I listed in my comment that was deleted but was based on my personal experiences with the guy. Why it would be deleted is still beyond me. SMH

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

I think it's a terrible hire for a number of reasons I listed in my comment that was deleted but was based on my personal experiences with the guy. Why it would be deleted is still beyond me. SMH
Where did you work with him and doing what?

Squints

Helluva Engineer

The number one rule around here is do not personally attack anyone. Posters, players, coaches, etc. I only gave your post a cursory glance but it appeared your post was right on the fence in that regard.

ramblinwreck24

Georgia Tech Fan
The number one rule around here is do not personally attack anyone. Posters, players, coaches, etc. I only gave your post a cursory glance but it appeared your post was right on the fence in that regard.

I was just giving the reasons, from personal experience, why I thought it was a bad hire. Everything I said was from things he has done. I was not attacking him but stating why.