New assistant coach

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
"At Coastal Carolina, N'Diaye (pronounced Mama-Doo In-Jiye) helped Cliff Ellis, his college coach at Auburn, and the Chanticleers compile a 54-40 record, 32-18 in the Big South Conference,"

Ehh.

I guess they did lead coastal carolina to their first NCAA tournament in 20 or so years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Brought in to help with international recruiting??
Maybe has some local ties since he played for the Hawks?? **shrugs**
He's pretty young tho.
Develop the young bigs that's coming in.
He was complete trash in the league so it hurts his credibility with me, even though that doesn't mean he can't coach.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Brought in to help with international recruiting??
Maybe has some local ties since he played for the Hawks?? **shrugs**
He's pretty young tho.
Develop the young bigs that's coming in.
He was complete trash in the league so it hurts his credibility with me, even though that doesn't mean he can't coach.

Looks to be a solid coach with a nice background as a player. And we just signed a player, Gueye, from the same hometown, Dakar, Senegal.
Question: Did Gueye know about this and did it influence his decision?

"Brought in to help with international recruiting??" Sure. Both GT and UGA just signed a player from Dakar. And he played international ball in Europe and
the Far East. There are dozens of international players in modern college basketball. It is a small world you know.

I had rather have a former post player coaching the post than a former guard or wing player, assuming he can communicate, and it appears he can.

I like this hire!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to GT, you we're complete trash in the league.

Good lord. I'm all about honesty but thats a bit rabid don't ya think?

He was a force in the SEC. I could care less if we put as many players in the league as UMaine as long as we make the damn postseason

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pretty good article/interview with our new coach.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/30/9-things-to-know-about-mamadou-ndiaye/

Interesting tidbits:
2. N’Diaye had also interviewed at Auburn for a position on new coach Bruce Pearl’s staff. After interviewing with Auburn, N’Diaye chose Tech and Gregory before hearing back from Pearl.

“I felt very comfortable with the situation,” N’Diaye said, “because you want to be comfortable with the people you work with. I have some people that I trust since I’ve been here in the country and they had nothing but good things to say about Coach Gregory, Coach Dollar.”
Sounds like he's gonna be a force in recruiting Senegalese prospects including perchance a certain guy with an interesting name:
5. There is a rising senior in Tavares, Fla., by the name of Tacko Fall, who is 7-foot-4 and Senegalese. N’Diaye’s brother reportedly helped Fall make it to the U.S.; N’Diaye’s brother Ibrahima runs a basketball and soccer academy where Fall trained in Dakar. Ibrahima helped direct him to central Florida, knowing that an Auburn teammate of Mamadou’s, Pat Burke, lives there and trains basketball players.

He told the Orlando Sentinel that he wants to study biochemistry.

This isn’t to say that Fall will sign with Tech, but if Gregory is interested, it isn’t a stretch to suggest that Tech has a much better chance than it did a month ago.