Need An Understanding On QB Play

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
So after watching yesterday's game I couldn't help but come up with the same thoughts I've been having since game one. It seems like Jeff Sims hold on to the ball way too long, almost to the point where he's starting to remind me of James Blackmon at FSU. Can someone with better football acumen than me plz help me to see the light with Sims? Am I wrong in my assessment? Is it because the receivers aren't getting open soon enough? Is it the playcalling that causes him to hold the ball too long?

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
So after watching yesterday's game I couldn't help but come up with the same thoughts I've been having since game one. It seems like Jeff Sims hold on to the ball way too long, almost to the point where he's starting to remind me of James Blackmon at FSU. Can someone with better football acumen than me plz help me to see the light with Sims? Am I wrong in my assessment? Is it because the receivers aren't getting open soon enough? Is it the playcalling that causes him to hold the ball too long?
I have felt the same thing. I have just assumed it is that the internal clock a QB is supposed to have in the pocket in college is shorter than high school and he is just not used to that yet. But like you I defer to people with more football acumen than me for real answers.

You're seeing it wrong, in fact you should be glad that he holds on to the ball that long

That shows he's a gamer and has "faith" in his Pass-Pro and is laser focused on doing his job

Most young QBs that have already taken the amount of hits that Sims has become "Gun Shy" and jumpy and they artificially speed everything up and become "check down Charlie" to save their own azz from taking hits or any flash of a DLs jersey color and they take off and run too quickly

One of Sims main problems is that we are getting BUPKIS from the TE spot, so Sims doesn't get the easy throws that other QBs get

Even if it is late in the Season, CGC needs to move Camp to TE and use the TE like an NFL H-Back for quick throws that will help both Sims and the OLine

That seam route he threw to Camp yesterday was an NFL level ,Trevor Lawrence level throw, we just don't get to see it enough because of our OLine issues

For all those criticizing our Offense, ask yourselves what Sims & Gibbs would look like behind UGA's OLine?

Blocking & Tackling are the 2 most important elements of FB, everything starts with Blocking & Tackling, unfortunately we do neither very well, so criticizing "play calling" and our QB is a fools errand

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My issue from game #1 is his vision, and how when he decides to run, usually, he never looks up again, which is when many times a receiver will pop open. I also think he has not figured out yet how to throw guys open, but his accuracy confidence is probably not there yet. At times, he looks like is "aiming" the ball instead of just trusting his mechanics to throw the ball, but again, I am NO QB coach and have never played one. I like him, but he needs really good QB coaching.

As said, we play a plain vanilla offense. Straight drop from the gun which requires you to have a very good O line. This team should not be running this scheme. Roll Sims out, run some boot legs, get two backs in the backfield. Run some option. Run some RPO. Run some counter, some draws.

Since we do none of this we see that the offensive production is very low.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My issue from game #1 is his vision, and how when he decides to run, usually, he never looks up again, which is when many times a receiver will pop open. I also think he has not figured out yet how to throw guys open, but his accuracy confidence is probably not there yet. At times, he looks like is "aiming" the ball instead of just trusting his mechanics to throw the ball, but again, I am NO QB coach and have never played one. I like him, but he needs really good QB coaching.

He just doesn't have enough mental bandwidth at this point to process much beyond his primary read. Pocket awareness? Situational awareness? Yeah. Probably not processing enough things fast enough to do much about those things.

Most of us have been been there in one sport or another. Me, in basketball? I have (had...) a handle, but couldn't see the court when someone was pressuring my dribble. I'm sure if I played every day, I'd have gotten better, but it takes time.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure how you came to those thoughts early in the year. If anything he was a but too quick at times getting rid of the ball to the point of missing defenders but it did have the effect of us allowing only one sack in the first 4 games but also had the effect of leading to some INTs as he didn't take the time to see the defense clearly before making a pass.

But I'm guessing the reason you think he holds onto the ball to long is because of the recent sacks. But the problem is that just because a sack happens doesn't mean the QB held the ball too long. Lets look at the sacks from the ND game.

Sack 1 - 4 man rush, DE just beats the OT. He's hit just over 2 seconds after the snap.
Sack 2 - Option play where the defender who showed to the back did a great job recovering to get a hand on Sims and then didn't let go and got him down.
Sack 3 - 4 man rush. DE beats the OT again. Not as egregious but still about 3 seconds after the snap. The problem here was less holding on too long and more just not stepping up in the pocket but even then he was likely going to be hit from behind shortly after anyways.
Sack 4 - Pseudo roll out play where a blitzing safety gets by Gibbs way too easily. Honestly, this was a very good D call for what we were doing and the Safety hid the blitz well.
Sack 5 - Looked like a LB blitz but one of their DEs dropped. Still just a 4 man rush. DE beats the OT and hits QB

None of those sacks were the result of holding on to the ball too long. Against Clemson.... (I can't get BC easy because watch espn doesn't let me)

Sack 1. DE beats the OT to the inside, Sims tries to avoid, and the defender knocks the ball out of his hands. Again, under 3 seconds.
Sack 2 - DE again beats the OT, this time to the outside. Sims has to avoid the DE 2 seconds after the ball is snapped, steps up, tries to step up and then take off but their spy forces him wide before another defender makes the play.
Sack 3 - 4 rush, Offensive guard gets beat by the LB. Sims has to avoid the defender within 2 seconds of the snap. Other defenders finish the play shortly after.
Sack 4 - Completely unblocked blitz right up the middle. Absolutely no chance.

Now those aren't the only plays, but they are the ones easiest to track down. That isn't really holding onto the ball too long. That's the OL not being able to block.

I can't speak to the WRs because most shots don't show the entire field. as far as the playcalling goes, that certainly plays some part. The problem is that if you can only call passing plays designed for the QB to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds, you have big issues. Now, the OL isn't getting beat like that every time. In general they are more consistent than last year and I think against weaker DLs especially they are improved. It's not an every play problem, but when pressure is getting to Sims it has usually been blocks being beat rather than him holding the ball too long and defenders being able to make multiple moves to get to the QB.

HouseDivided

Jolly Good Fellow
Part of the issue for him is our route trees are horrible. You can tell he is waiting and waiting for a receiver to break open and they just aren't getting separation with any consistency. He needs to throw it away once thag internal clock goes off.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you came to those thoughts early in the year. If anything he was a but too quick at times getting rid of the ball to the point of missing defenders but it did have the effect of us allowing only one sack in the first 4 games but also had the effect of leading to some INTs as he didn't take the time to see the defense clearly before making a pass.

But I'm guessing the reason you think he holds onto the ball to long is because of the recent sacks. But the problem is that just because a sack happens doesn't mean the QB held the ball too long. Lets look at the sacks from the ND game.

Sack 1 - 4 man rush, DE just beats the OT. He's hit just over 2 seconds after the snap.
Sack 2 - Option play where the defender who showed to the back did a great job recovering to get a hand on Sims and then didn't let go and got him down.
Sack 3 - 4 man rush. DE beats the OT again. Not as egregious but still about 3 seconds after the snap. The problem here was less holding on too long and more just not stepping up in the pocket but even then he was likely going to be hit from behind shortly after anyways.
Sack 4 - Pseudo roll out play where a blitzing safety gets by Gibbs way too easily. Honestly, this was a very good D call for what we were doing and the Safety hid the blitz well.
Sack 5 - Looked like a LB blitz but one of their DEs dropped. Still just a 4 man rush. DE beats the OT and hits QB

None of those sacks were the result of holding on to the ball too long. Against Clemson.... (I can't get BC easy because watch espn doesn't let me)

Sack 1. DE beats the OT to the inside, Sims tries to avoid, and the defender knocks the ball out of his hands. Again, under 3 seconds.
Sack 2 - DE again beats the OT, this time to the outside. Sims has to avoid the DE 2 seconds after the ball is snapped, steps up, tries to step up and then take off but their spy forces him wide before another defender makes the play.
Sack 3 - 4 rush, Offensive guard gets beat by the LB. Sims has to avoid the defender within 2 seconds of the snap. Other defenders finish the play shortly after.
Sack 4 - Completely unblocked blitz right up the middle. Absolutely no chance.

Now those aren't the only plays, but they are the ones easiest to track down. That isn't really holding onto the ball too long. That's the OL not being able to block.

I can't speak to the WRs because most shots don't show the entire field. as far as the playcalling goes, that certainly plays some part. The problem is that if you can only call passing plays designed for the QB to get rid of the ball in 2 seconds, you have big issues. Now, the OL isn't getting beat like that every time. In general they are more consistent than last year and I think against weaker DLs especially they are improved. It's not an every play problem, but when pressure is getting to Sims it has usually been blocks being beat rather than him holding the ball too long and defenders being able to make multiple moves to get to the QB.
I sat down low in the stands yesterday on purpose to watch the line play (limited admittance has its advantages). Number 91 for ND is a great defensive end and a grad student. He was beating true FR Williams like a drum (Not a knock--Williams will be a good one). We brought the TE over on motion to help, but it didn't make a difference. Number 9, the other DE is a fifth year player, and also a stud.

Our FR QB has to learn. He will learn to get rid of the ball on time in time. I have concerns about him, but that's not one of them. One of the things I remember from watching his HS film is that his OL gave him better protection than he is getting now.

I'm tired of all this play calling talk. I've heard it from fans for 40 years, and it is usually a sign of ignorance. A talented and experienced player is going to win these battles, and no" play calling" will change things.

I sat down low in the stands yesterday on purpose to watch the line play (limited admittance has its advantages). Number 91 for ND is a great defensive end and a grad student. He was beating true FR Williams like a drum (Not a knock--Williams will be a good one). We brought the TE over on motion to help, but it didn't make a difference. Number 9, the other DE is a fifth year player, and also a stud.

Our FR QB has to learn. He will learn to get rid of the ball on time in time. I have concerns about him, but that's not one of them. One of the things I remember from watching his HS film is that his OL gave him better protection than he is getting now.

I'm tired of all this play calling talk. I've heard it from fans for 40 years, and it is usually a sign of ignorance. A talented and experienced player is going to win these battles, and no" play calling" will change things.

Well, play calling can make a difference. If your guys can't straight up block a guy, you roll your QB out to the opposite side. If you think you may have some trouble with the D line, you call plays that keeps them from running strait at you, ie options or RPOs. Repeating again, the plain Vanilla offense we run is not helping this offense nor is it helping or working for Sims. Also we need to run Sims more.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
As said, we play a plain vanilla offense. Straight drop from the gun which requires you to have a very good O line. This team should not be running this scheme. Roll Sims out, run some boot legs, get two backs in the backfield. Run some option. Run some RPO. Run some counter, some draws.

Since we do none of this we see that the offensive production is very low.
But we run all of that

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, play calling can make a difference. If your guys can't straight up block a guy, you roll your QB out to the opposite side. If you think you may have some trouble with the D line, you call plays that keeps them from running strait at you, ie options or RPOs. Repeating again, the plain Vanilla offense we run is not helping this offense nor is it helping or working for Sims. Also we need to run Sims more.
We do all of these things lol.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

One of the "Sacks" called out earlier in the thread was a read option. I love option football, but it still requires the OL to block well enough for the QB to make a read and properly distribute the ball before he's tackled.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the "Sacks" called out earlier in the thread was a read option. I love option football, but it still requires the OL to block well enough for the QB to make a read and properly distribute the ball before he's tackled.

That guy just wants us to run under center, Paul Johnson style option and thinks it's the only way we can be successful.

Not only was one of the sacks from running read-option as you pointed out, but another sack was also on a play where we rolled Sims out. You'll notice both of those things he said we needed to do, we did (with our "plain vanilla" offense). He said he watched the game, but obviously wasn't watching close enough. Just looking for things to complain about most likely.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think Jeff holds on to the ball too long. We actually haven’t been that prone to the sack most of the year. I do think Sims does a good job escaping pressure when he gives up on the routes but he needs more experience to work within the pocket and to keep his eyes down field when he runs.

I also suspect Sims needs more experience to work through progressions and understand how the defense is trying to defend the secondary. More explosive receivers would also help his cause.

Notre Dame’s defense impressed me yesterday although I felt like they were cheating toward the line of scrimmage and not respecting our passing game. Tech needs to run the ball better to be more effective but we haven’t been very efficient at running in recent weeks.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I totally agree