#NDvsGT 55 to Zero

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Money.

Do you have any idea how much money GT makes on the program? Win or lose they make bank. That's why Georgia State could afford to buy the Braves old stadium and fire up a football program themselves.

It's big, huge money.
Not quite. Georgia State charges large student fees to support football. So much so that the students protested a few years ago and got the maximum student support limited.

The entire athletic budget is a decimal place in comparison to the university budget at GT. Football subsidizes non revenue sports, but does not directly financially benefit the university.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia State charges large student fees to support football.
No, they do not. My daughter attends GSU right now. There are no "football fees".

Edit to add:

df4345be-149b-4f39-8061-8c7dbd9ced5e.png

Tuition right now isn't much higher at around $11,000.00.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The rhetorical question I have is why should we even have a football program at GT?

I don't know the answer to that. Nor would anybody that posts here. I guess you could expand it to include "sports" rather than "football". I do know this...my wife went to a small school in Georgia that did not have football. Or athletics. Her emotional ties to her old school are nonexistent. It' almost as if she went to Devry Institute of Technology, the University of Phoenix, or Mr. Luigi's School of Beauty and Cosmetology. She has never set foot on her campus since graduation. Throws their brochures and litrature in the recycle bin upon receipt. Never donated a dime to the school. It was purely, as best I can tell, a fiduciary relationship in which she paid the school for services rendered and then moved on when she no longer required their services..

On the other hand, I went to GT. Because of the PR benefits of having atletic teams, I visit the campus. Recruited GT engineers. Donate to Roll Call and the AT fund and other various fundraisers. Buy tickets and travel to bowl games. All four of us have officilally licensed GT clothing and gear.

Is it worth it to have athletics? I don't have all the numbers to answer but again, I see a vastly different situation between my spouse and I and our relationship to our alma maters.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
GSU requires $275 per student for athletic fees (which includes football).
By the way, GT charges $127 per student per semester for its athletic fee. So less than half of GSU. You want a revenue grab, that is a place to go. Take 20K+ students and add $100 per semester and you just grabbed 4MM more in revenue per year. Not likely.

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow
By the way, GT charges $127 per student per semester for its athletic fee. So less than half of GSU. You want a revenue grab, that is a place to go. Take 20K+ students and add $100 per semester and you just grabbed 4MM more in revenue per year. Not likely.
Apples to oranges.

GT's total student fees are $1,297 dollars. GSU's is $660. Here's the breakdown of Fees:

Activity - GT $40 / GSU $53.50
Athletic - GT $127 / GSU $275
CRC Operations - GT $51 / GSU Non-existent
Center Facility - GT $85 / GSU $36
Health - GT $172 / GSU $40
Rec Center - GT $54 / GSU Non - existent
Campus Center Operation - GT $32 / GSU $31.50
Special Institution - GT $544 / GSU Non-existent
Technology - GT $107 / GSU $85
Transportation - GT $85 / GSU $57
Library - GT Non existent / GSU $18
Sustainability - GT Non existent / GSU $5

Total Fees - GT $1,297.00 / GSU $660.00

Everybody gets their pound of flesh one way or the other.

Edit to add sources:

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I should add: Homer Rice made some big mistakes. Every person in a leadership position, bar none, will do that. The measure of a true leader is whether or not they correct those mistakes (and how).

While I disagreed with moving away from CPJ’s coaching tree, I supported Collins from the get-go…until he demonstrated he wasn’t up for the job.

I feel the same way about TStan. Everyone makes mistakes - seems like CGC was one. Now is the time for Stansbury to step up. I’m hopeful he will - history will measure him on that. But we’ll see. The ball is in his court now. Let’s hope he picks it up and drives to the hoop.

(Obligatory analogy, since we’re apparently a basketball school now.)
If Collins survives this year, I predict TStan doesn’t survive the year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Collins will survive this year and so will TStan. Not enough people understand that the reason Collins is here is because alot of the important money men wanted him here.
He will be here at least 1 more year, maybe 2.

I do think he needs a 6 win season next year though to likely get that yr 5.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Collins will survive this year and so will TStan. Not enough people understand that the reason Collins is here is because alot of the important money men wanted him here.

I used to think they’d survive because of the terms of his contract. I’m not so sure any more. There’s enough pissed off alums to generate probably $3-5M in donations so you probably only need $15M or so from the big wigs.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Following up on my post about the gameday production at ND:

Why can't GT have a professional gameday production? It seemed like a showbusiness team was in charge of the production at ND. At GT, things are haphazard and sometimes roll on top of each other. Comparing the two, ND looks like Broadway and GT looks like a high school drama club play.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck

Why can't GT have a professional gameday production? It seemed like a showbusiness team was in charge of the production at ND. At GT, things are haphazard and sometimes roll on top of each other. Comparing the two, ND looks like Broadway and GT looks like a high school drama club play.
Ypu don't have to go to ND to see better gameday production than GT. I go to at least one SC game a year, it always impresses me how they handle all of that. They also have a near packed house no matter who the Cocks are playing so maybe that is part of it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

They wanted him here, past tense, but the question is, do they still want him here?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Great question. I attended quite a few SEC games and they are all put together well. I hear Auburn practicing theirs quite a bit. I think a service produces them because the sound and organization is quite similar. Ours feels like it’s trying to entertain 5 year olds before the fair.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Seriously stop
You are wasting your time with someone who 3 years removed from Coach Johnson's last year is still trying to blame him for the utter incompetent display of football that was so awful, our program suffered the humiliation of being mocked on national television with a picture of the Wreck and Geoff's coaching record.