NCAAT Moved to Indianapolis (all rounds)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What do you call a fringe NCAAT team that is selected to go to Indy?

1605552173569.png

(not ashamed)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Since I expect attendance to be very limited, I don't think you even need all the big venues for consideration. You could likely run a lot of the games pretty much in nice HS arenas - as long as TV signed off on it. NBA bubble wasn't much more than that.

I expect they want to do it in Indianapolis to make their life easier with coordinating the event. All they have to do is drive down the street to the hotels, venues, etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Guess this means it won't be a full slate of more teams huh?

According to the NCAA they are still planning on 68 teams.

I'm with Yl, i'm thinking probably no fans - certainly no public sales - sort of what they were planning for about 24 hours last year before everything shut down. If anyone is in the stands i'm thinking it is likely to be family of the SA's.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
According to the NCAA they are still planning on 68 teams.

I'm with Yl, i'm thinking probably no fans - certainly no public sales - sort of what they were planning for about 24 hours last year before everything shut down. If anyone is in the stands i'm thinking it is likely to be family of the SA's.
If they do decide to run more than 68 teams all it would take would be hotel space they could put in a bubble to whatever degree they require. 30 per team is only 2K hotel rooms with single occupancy so I expect Indianapolis could go higher than that if they want to. Or they could split a bigger number of teams into a first round over 2 weeks and make it work really easily.

Net net I think they could expand the tourney fairly easily if they want to though as you say they don't seem to have that intent as of yet.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I just want to make sure that the tournament is held. If it's held, they get to collect TV money.
It pays a lot of bills.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Atlanta makes more sense. More arena options and more hotels. Ncaa wants it in Indy because that’s their home base....
Yeah there is that conspiracy theory, then there is also the fact that they were planning the final 4 there for this year previously and it makes sense to stay there as opposed to go to a regional location. 🤯

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Yeah there is that conspiracy theory, then there is also the fact that they were planning the final 4 there for this year previously and it makes sense to stay there as opposed to go to a regional location. 🤯
Don’t go bringing factual facts into my theory! Lol.
I completely forgot about the 2021 F4 already being held there. Or maybe all this was planed by the evil powers inside the NCAA!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Don’t go bringing factual facts into my theory! Lol.
I completely forgot about the 2021 F4 already being held there. Or maybe all this was planed by the evil powers inside the NCAA!
Haha I posted that then actually went back to edit it because it felt kinda snarky but was outside the window. Glad you didn’t take it as an affront - it wasn’t meant to be despite my poor phrasing.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The teams won't be staying in Indy for the duration, will they?

If not, I'm not sure how much this would be different from having it dispersed with the same precautions

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am thinking that may be what they are doing Build a bubble in Indianapolis and have the teams do their academics remotely. Makes sense for covid - not so much for lab/hands on classes

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am thinking that may be what they are doing Build a bubble in Indianapolis and have the teams do their academics remotely. Makes sense for covid - not so much for lab/hands on classes
I've wondered about this too. Selection timing will be too late for kids to switch their class schedules around so don't really understand how they could do remote classes. Without it though, the bubble idea seems more like pinot gris than champagne.. ;)