NCAA Tournament

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
We did not make it.. :( This season is over, then.

Mercer got in. They have an RPI of #107, but they were co-champs of their conference. Good for them.. The only team from Georgia to make it to the tourney.

The team with the highest RPI to not make it was UNC. They had an RPI of #27. Tech was the team with the second highest RPI to not make it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not surprising, the wheels came off for us at the wrong time (again). We'll be better next year with a more seasoned and possibly more hungry team .... if we do ok by pitchers in the draft. (Baseball is simple, really.)

As I said before, the lower seed ACC and SEC have not done well in the tournaments. The committee knows that and it hurt us too.

"Hears to next year" that is biggest problem I have with Tech baseball. That is the constant theme to Danny Hall coached teams. I for one am tired of waiting for next year. Danny Hall waited too long to change how he recruits pitching and now he's a day late and dollar short compared to the rest of the ACC and national powers. I guess Kel getting hurt is the reason this year or is it someone else's fault? The way I see it Danny is never at fault. He always gets a pass. Until that changes, Tech baseball will be slightly under .500 in conf play and scratching for a 3rd or 4th seed of some obscure regional.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@up state jacket - check out this thread - link - (decline-why?) it may shed some light on some of the whys that we haven't done so well lately.

When teams with RPI's >100 make the tourney other teams get the short end of the stick. Not saying that our play over the last couple of weeks justified us getting to play (they don't), but our season of work - Top 40 RPI - deserved the opportunity to "get hot". (Same holds true for UNC).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@up state jacket - check out this thread - link - (decline-why?) it may shed some light on some of the whys that we haven't done so well lately.

When teams with RPI's >100 make the tourney other teams get the short end of the stick. Not saying that our play over the last couple of weeks justified us getting to play (they don't), but our season of work - Top 40 RPI - deserved the opportunity to "get hot". (Same holds true for UNC).

I wouldn't have put GT in if I were unbiased and on the committee. I think they intentionally limited the ACC and SEC to 7 teams each. If GT hadn't had the bad stretch with BC, I would have put GT in. The sweep @ Miami wasn't unexpected, except when you look at the total score and the number of errors. Plus getting eliminated in the ACC tourney on the mercy rule with errors sealed our fate in my mind.

Yes GT is a lot better than many of the teams in the field. But like those 4 seeds, we would have stood little chance (<5%) of winning the region. I'll go back and look later at how many 4 seeds advance past the region. The NCAA tourney is a show case for the 301 teams; it helps college baseball a lot to have the lower ranked teams at least get to play. I wish we were in the tourney with a chance, but it is what it is. Actions have consequences.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Had we won against Virginia, it would have helped. But that UNC did not get in shows it was no guarantee, as they won their play-in game, then went 1-2 in pool, play, had a higher RPI than GT did, beat Clemson.....and still did not get in. To be honest, the Committee must really allow late season play to influence them more than overall season results. Otherwise, why would Clemson got a bid when UNC did not. The ONLY reason i can figure Clemson got in was their sweep of FSU in the last weekend (while we got swept by Miami). Otherwise, we and Clemson and UNC looked very VERY similar going into the final weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa wins!!! Great to see a good school do well. Their fans are really pretty good up here. They got hot at the right time. And even for a great program like UVa, it was their first CWS win.

I believe first ACC win since 1955 (60 years) when Wake won. And the ACC has been runner up about 7 times! (Miami was independent when they last won.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series Now the ACC needs to win for the next 10 years ..... the SEC has owned the CWS.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just saw that and was coming over to update.

Knew it'd be awhile since an ACC team won, didn't realize it was before I was born! Wow!

Congrats to UVA (and Vandy) for great seasons.

Agree that the ACC needs to go on a run just so I don't have to hear about SEC dominance.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It would be nice to have the pitching UVa has enjoyed in recent years. I have to believe that whatever disadvantages GT has in recruiting hold also for Virginia...both are excellent academic institutions...and yet since O'Connor got there, their pitching has just been superb year after year. So, what is the difference between the UVa program and the GT program? Am I missing something (I really hope I am) or is it as simple as saying "coaching"?

if it is "coaching" then we are doomed until we make a change. If it is something else I am missing, then heck there is hope!!

I will add that this AD seems VERY reluctant to make coaching changes based on his handling (or should I say mis-handling) of the basketball program. So if it is indeed "coaching" (which includes recruiting) then we likely will have a long wait before we change.

I am hopeful some of the new pitchers coming in next year will make a difference. There seem to be one or two studs in the bunch. If Gold and King continue to get better and we find a top of the rotation starter, it could help!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It would be nice to have the pitching UVa has enjoyed in recent years. I have to believe that whatever disadvantages GT has in recruiting hold also for Virginia...both are excellent academic institutions...and yet since O'Connor got there, their pitching has just been superb year after year. So, what is the difference between the UVa program and the GT program? Am I missing something (I really hope I am) or is it as simple as saying "coaching"?

if it is "coaching" then we are doomed until we make a change. If it is something else I am missing, then heck there is hope!!

I will add that this AD seems VERY reluctant to make coaching changes based on his handling (or should I say mis-handling) of the basketball program. So if it is indeed "coaching" (which includes recruiting) then we likely will have a long wait before we change.

I am hopeful some of the new pitchers coming in next year will make a difference. There seem to be one or two studs in the bunch. If Gold and King continue to get better and we find a top of the rotation starter, it could help!

I'm sorry you have to believe something not true, but I'm not sure even that is the whole story. It could be though.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Coach O'Connor did masterful job on both sides of the plate throughout the whole NCAA Tournament. He helped slow down Vandy's momentum rather it was their pitching or at bat. I'll put him on top of the list as the best ACC coach in baseball and one of the best in college. That's not a knock against Hall or our AD. I'm glad some ppl here are not our AD. "We" have no clue what goes on behind the scenes and the budget he has to work with. #JMHO

Hope everyone has a great summer and our guys have a great summer ball season.

I'm ready for some FOOTBALL !

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......I have to believe that whatever disadvantages GT has in recruiting hold also for Virginia...both are excellent academic institutions...and yet since O'Connor got there, their pitching has just been superb year after year. So, what is the difference between the UVa program and the GT program? Am I missing something (I really hope I am) or is it as simple as saying "coaching"? .........

There is a difference in student body cultures between GT and UVa with respect to baseball. The UVa fans turn out a lot more for games than our fans. At least that is the way is seems from the games I've seen on TV of UVa. UVa is a good bit larger than GT, but they also have the well deserved reputation of being the wine and cheese crowd while VT is the beer and corn hole crowd.

So I think UVa has a lot more student body and thus Athletic Administration support.

Not to continue the pitching thread here, but I think our staff has done a great job in getting our players to the minor leagues. It's just we haven't had the studs who come in and start as FR. Ours get good as Jrs and get drafted (over simplification). I started a pitching post for 2016, any specific comments would be appreciated there. We all agree I think that our pitching was fricking dismal this last year.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Just saw that and was coming over to update.

Knew it'd be awhile since an ACC team won, didn't realize it was before I was born! Wow!

Congrats to UVA (and Vandy) for great seasons.

Agree that the ACC needs to go on a run just so I don't have to hear about SEC dominance.

CIYDwWCUwAAPK8z.jpg

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Coach O'Connor did masterful job on both sides of the plate throughout the whole NCAA Tournament. He helped slow down Vandy's momentum rather it was their pitching or at bat. I'll put him on top of the list as the best ACC coach in baseball and one of the best in college. That's not a knock against Hall or our AD. I'm glad some ppl here are not our AD. "We" have no clue what goes on behind the scenes and the budget he has to work with. #JMHO

Hope everyone has a great summer and our guys have a great summer ball season.

I'm ready for some FOOTBALL !

Coach Of The Year: O'Connor The Soothsayer http://www.d1baseball.com/awards/coach-of-the-year-oconnors-patience-pays-off/ via @d1baseball