NCAA Tournament

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Watching TCU was an enlightened moment for me. Eddie Lampkin is not a great basketball player, but wow, what an athlete. And Mike Miles is one tough dude. I loved watching them.

Houston was the one that gave me the feels.

Even when you factor in the fact that they have a different level of commitment to athletics .. which is the nicest way I can find to say that I know 'class' probably isn't in the vocabulary over there ... you'd think we could field a team like that or at least close to it.

Sorry for the short derail but ... I blame oriental!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
7-2 against Tournament teams including multiple road/neutral wins and their third loss was a Quad 1 loss to a NIT team.
Not many teams will have that type of resume.

AZ looked like it was going to pull away late but TCU did a great job coming back at the end.
I agree with you. I posted that at a point when AZ had gone almost four minutes without scoring and could not seem to get a rebound on either end of the court.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with you. I posted that at a point when AZ had gone almost four minutes without scoring and could not seem to get a rebound on either end of the court.
Of course you can take alot of these games with the top ranked teams 2 ways.
If you want to take the negative spin you can say they don't look that strong because they almost lost games to lesser regarded teams.
If you want to take the positive spin you can say they were tested and showed they could win tight games under adversity and therefore more likely to be able to handle tight games later on.

Of course both are legitimate views.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not nearly as high on Smith as some on this board are. I see an athlete that plays basketball more than a basketball player that is an athlete.
If you look at his numbers his first 2 years of college you don't really see any growth as a player yet.
His numbers are remarkedly similar on a per possession rate. His Ortg and Drtg are quite close as both a FR and SO. Based on those he is a below average offensive player - largely due to poor shooting from both 3-pt range and the FT line and a high TO volume and an average defensive player. His offensive weaknesses make him a problematic player to have on the court at the end of close games.

He has a long ways to go and he is going to have to show alot more development both skill wise and mentally.
One area where I think he improved during he season was that early on he would drive to the rim and miss or get blocked. It seemed to me that in the games just before he was injured he improved on that. I don’t remember the specifics, just noting that he wasn’t getting caught underneath.

On a related topic, I feel like GT has been unable to make shots at the rim for decades. Would love to know how they compare to other programs.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One area where I think he improved during he season was that early on he would drive to the rim and miss or get blocked. It seemed to me that in the games just before he was injured he improved on that. I don’t remember the specifics, just noting that he wasn’t getting caught underneath.

On a related topic, I feel like GT has been unable to make shots at the rim for decades. Would love to know how they compare to other programs.
He developed or showed a nice pull up game from around the foul line. That was a much better shot than going one on the gang around the rim. Would love to see him add a floater as well.

Course I would also like to see us look at some different sets that make it harder for there to be a gang around the rim as well.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I must say, watching the tournament is frustrating on a couple fronts.

I think, if you dropped GT into the field, we'd more than hold our own against most of these teams in a one-off game.

But you can also see the depth of talent these teams have that aided them in navigating their seasons so much more successfully.

Then, you kinda wonder where we're gonna be at next year considering we lose our top 2 players and could likely lose more (just because every team does).

So it's clear how hard we're gonna have to hit the portal. But then I'm like, the caliber of player(s) we need are gonna have options that are closer to the finish line than we'll be. So ...... *sigh*

:(
We would get crushed by nearly every team in the tournament. We were a very bad team this year. Name a quality win we had this year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We would get crushed by nearly every team in the tournament. We were a very bad team this year. Name a quality win we had this year.

Heh, you must be fun at parties.

I'd challenge you to read the overall gist of what I was saying (which is not terribly unlike what you just said). But I apologize for not being clear in my point(s).

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Heh, you must be fun at parties.

I'd challenge you to read the overall gist of what I was saying (which is not terribly unlike what you just said). But I apologize for not being clear in my point(s).
I get the gist. Still any implication that we were anything but awful this year is misleading. This year was so discouraging and leaves little hope for next year. Hard to be up on GT BB right now.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I get the gist. Still any implication that we were anything but awful this year is misleading. This year was so discouraging and leaves little hope for next year. Hard to be up on GT BB right now.

Trust me, we see what you see. Just trying to stay/be positive.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Most preseason conversations I have ultimately get me thinking about Seneca (one of the many great stoic writers) taking about the concept of not suffering twice from a potential problem.

In one of his letters to Lucilius (a friend and contemporary) he suggests you have to go through pain to know what you can handle and to be able later in life to approach the potential for pain with confiendece: “no prizefighter can go with high spirits into the strife if he has never been beaten black and blue; the only contestant who can confidently enter the lists is the man who has seen his own blood, who has felt his teeth rattle beneath his opponent’s fist, who has been tripped and felt the full force of his adversary’s charge, who has been downed in body but not in spirit, one who, as often as he falls, rises again with greater defiance than ever”.

So for each painstaking loss we have suffered this year, remember it is preparing us for the future conflict or challenging game ahead. We suffer the set backs, focused only on finding was to get faster, stronger and better as a team. The stoics believe that the iron sharpening iron concept almost every coach uses is critical to the mental side of happiness/success/contentment.

Another two quotes speaking even further to my general approach to life (we can’t control the world, but can control how we respond to it) show up in the same letter when he posits:

“There are more things, Lucilius, likely to frighten us than there are to crush us; we suffer more often in imagination than in reality”. Following up with: “some things torment us more than they ought; some torment us before they ought; and some torment us when they ought not to torment us at all. We are in the habit of exaggerating, or imagining, or anticipating, sorrow”

I may be an eternal optimist, but I see a path for how our squad next year takes a big step forward. We need to get/develop a true 5 man, and I would love to pick up a combo guard - but Kyle/Smith/Coleman/Miles give us good combos at guard and I really like the flashes we have seen from J.Moore and Meka at the 4.

All that said, this staff has shown an ability to find and develop talent in unconventional players (Moses and Jose most recently). As well as refine raw ability (Usher and any number of our Bigs from years prior to our most recent campaign). I refuse to be negative about the team’s prospects till we start playing next year.

No point suffering the potential of bad news before we know it to be true.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Most preseason conversations I have ultimately get me thinking about Seneca (one of the many great stoic writers) taking about the concept of not suffering twice from a potential problem.

In one of his letters to Lucilius (a friend and contemporary) he suggests you have to go through pain to know what you can handle and to be able later in life to approach the potential for pain with confiendece: “no prizefighter can go with high spirits into the strife if he has never been beaten black and blue; the only contestant who can confidently enter the lists is the man who has seen his own blood, who has felt his teeth rattle beneath his opponent’s fist, who has been tripped and felt the full force of his adversary’s charge, who has been downed in body but not in spirit, one who, as often as he falls, rises again with greater defiance than ever”.

So for each painstaking loss we have suffered this year, remember it is preparing us for the future conflict or challenging game ahead. We suffer the set backs, focused only on finding was to get faster, stronger and better as a team. The stoics believe that the iron sharpening iron concept almost every coach uses is critical to the mental side of happiness/success/contentment.

Another two quotes speaking even further to my general approach to life (we can’t control the world, but can control how we respond to it) show up in the same letter when he posits:

“There are more things, Lucilius, likely to frighten us than there are to crush us; we suffer more often in imagination than in reality”. Following up with: “some things torment us more than they ought; some torment us before they ought; and some torment us when they ought not to torment us at all. We are in the habit of exaggerating, or imagining, or anticipating, sorrow”

I may be an eternal optimist, but I see a path for how our squad next year takes a big step forward. We need to get/develop a true 5 man, and I would love to pick up a combo guard - but Kyle/Smith/Coleman/Miles give us good combos at guard and I really like the flashes we have seen from J.Moore and Meka at the 4.

All that said, this staff has shown an ability to find and develop talent in unconventional players (Moses and Jose most recently). As well as refine raw ability (Usher and any number of our Bigs from years prior to our most recent campaign). I refuse to be negative about the team’s prospects till we start playing next year.

No point suffering the potential of bad news before we know it to be true.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. - Seneca

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
One can be both optimistic and realistic at the same time. Watching lots of NCAAT games brings me back to reality very quickly regarding GT basketball.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with Root that watching the NCAAT games certainly drives home the reasons why our team was a 20 loss team. Physically, our team certainly does not look like these NCAA teams. These teams are composed of thick, explosive athletes. These guys are buff. Actually, our skill level was not that far amiss, but these teams in the tournament have bull-strong athletes in both the back and front courts. I have seen posts complaining about our style of offense, but teams running similar stuff as we do dot the tournament.

A big difference in this season compared to previous Pastner teams and compared to the NCAAT teams is our lack of rotation and weak side defense. Good teams rotate quickly and protect the paint much better than we did. Our defense would not have contained these teams. We would have held them to a low 3pt%, but they would have killed us inside.

We had a bad year. The team was competitive and Usher was a pleasure to watch but we were not good. We may not have been awful, but we were not good. Even as an ACC team, I would have to say that we were a below average team taken across the college basketball landscape.

Saying that is not a prediction of the future. I hope and expect that the deficiencies are identified and plans for correction are implemented with vigor. But we will certainly have to increase strength, thickness and explosiveness to compete with the kinds of teams that are winning in the tournament currently.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Come on you guys ....

Sad Cry GIF