NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The reality is, GT would do well to extend him at salary he's at now, however, decrease the buyout to the point GT pretty much walks away with nothing to pay Pastner. Pastner has ZERO leverage right now. No P5 program will touch him right now, and if he walks, then he walks. He'd be hard press to get a good job at a Non-P5 school as well.

No, GT would not do well to do that. For starters, there is 0 reason for him to sign that extension. It doesn't offer him anything, and basically just paints a big sign that you plan on firing him. Might as well fire him now, or not bother with an extension offer.

How he is extended should depend greatly on how he does this year. If, and it is a big if, we can have a really good year, lets say 22-10 or w/e it would take to be safely in the NCAAT, then there is no way we can't give him an actual extension. With the recruiting sanctions already in place, a good year followed by no real extension would basically kill any chance at a good class and probably create the reason to fire him. It'd be a self fulfilling prophecy at that point. If you have a coach where a good year (talking one of the best in the past two decades, even if it isn't saying much) doesn't get rewarded, especially when most of the core is returning, then why are you keeping the coach? You've already made up your mind and at that point all you're doing is sending red flags to future candidates that they need to get what they can up front because they aren't guaranteed to get support even with success.

You either fire him now or he give him a legitimate chance to earn long term support.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I missed something during my travels, but isn't it still a possibility GTAA will appeal the penalties? The post season ban this year is grossly unfair to the seniors on the team and I could not find another example of a team being banned for the current academic year. Also, I thought we self-reported the Bell stuff and our players sat for 4 and 6 games as the penalty.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I missed something during my travels, but isn't it still a possibility GTAA will appeal the penalties? The post season ban this year is grossly unfair to the seniors on the team and I could not find another example of a team being banned for the current academic year. Also, I thought we self-reported the Bell stuff and our players sat for 4 and 6 games as the penalty.
We can appeal but I doubt ncaa modifies it. Hire a really good lawyer on the players behalf to sue for unjust punishment and cease order on current post season ban until the lawyer finishes the case. This is so unfair to the current players! I think they have a solid case, better than uncheats.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going to be really curious to see who is on team Pastner going forward. I understand the issues around firing him now (though I personally think he has hit that threshold), but I also expect that the number of people willing to support him and unfortunately the team is going to go way down. A lot more than this particular team deserves. Somewhere in there is a tradeoff of number of folks still on Team Pastner, cost of moving off of Team Pastner and potential to delete Team Pastner for cause. I hope I am wrong but I expect to see a lot fewer fannies in the seat than what the best team we have had in 5 years would otherwise get.
We may have fewer fans but it won’t be that big of a deal. Our fan base is small compared to bigger schools. It could be small and fervent, but instead it’s small and apathetic.

I will continue to go to Tech baseball, football and basketball games bc I choose to regardless of record. However, most people who are complaining were not going to attend games even before these sanctions.

As an example, we play a conference football game next weekend and 10% of the people on this board will attend.

We had the number 3 baseball team in the country and auburn matched our fans when we hosted them in the regionals.

I just don’t think it’s going to make a huge difference to the fan attendance since we have so few fans that are willing to go in the first place.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We may have fewer fans but it won’t be that big of a deal. Our fan base is small compared to bigger schools. It could be small and fervent, but instead it’s small and apathetic.

I will continue to go to Tech baseball, football and basketball games bc I choose to regardless of record. However, most people who are complaining were not going to attend games even before these sanctions.

As an example, we play a conference football game next weekend and 10% of the people on this board will attend.

We had the number 3 baseball team in the country and auburn matched our fans when we hosted them in the regionals.

I just don’t think it’s going to make a huge difference to the fan attendance since we have so few fans that are willing to go in the first place.
I’ve attended about 3 GT basketball games in the last 20 years and about the same in baseball. I attend 2-3 times that each year in football. I watch damn near every game on tv that I’m not at. Sorry, but unless business magically matches up with a GT basketball game the chances of me attending are slim to none.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
We can appeal but I doubt ncaa modifies it. Hire a really good lawyer on the players behalf to sue for unjust punishment and cease order on current post season ban until the lawyer finishes the case. This is so unfair to the current players! I think they have a solid case, better than uncheats.

This is the point of an appeal. You're right in that it most likely won't change things, but the post-season ban is punishment primarily to players who played no part in the case. Penalizing the recruiting process penalizes the school and its recruiting faults, but don't penalize innocent players. A valid argument that the NCAA will probably not listen to.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I cannot express how much this upset and disappointed me. I have not posted solely because I was so upset.

My anger and frustration is ALL directed at the hypocritical NCAA. How players can be paid at high profile programs...which the NCAA KNOWS from the FBI tapes....how players at UNC can literally participate in academic fraud.....and how those programs get off with no penalties....is absolutely outrageous when compared to what has been done to GT.

There is likely little we can do but I would LOVE to see GT sue the NCAA (or the players sue them). Anything to embarrass, harass, and say "screw you" to the NCAA.

Personally, I wish the conferences would pull out like they did in football and form their own separate organization. To hell with those jokers. Won't happen, I know...but damn I am still furious with them. And just when I was getting really excited about GT basketball again! Just damn!

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think a lawsuit outside the NCAA process in Federal court is our best choice. Get them enjoined from imposing the punishment until a full hearing on lack of equal protection (vis a vis the “elites”), arbitrary and caprious penalties, etc. This might tie it up in court for years or prompt a settlement. It has worked for others. It gives Tech some leverage. We need to hire, forgive the reference, a bulldog litigator and get aggressive for a change.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think a lawsuit outside the NCAA process in Federal court is our best choice. Get them enjoined from imposing the punishment until a full hearing on lack of equal protection (vis a vis the “elites”), arbitrary and caprious penalties, etc. This might tie it up in court for years or prompt a settlement. It has worked for others. It gives Tech some leverage. We need to hire, forgive the reference, a bulldog litigator and get aggressive for a change.
I believe our voluntary membership in the NCAA limits our legal avenues for redress. While I agree, I think we have to go through the entire appeals process within the NCAA before we can take them to court.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I believe our voluntary membership in the NCAA limits our legal avenues for redress. While I agree, I think we have to go through the entire appeals process within the NCAA before we can take them to court.
OK, but my understanding is we expect to hear the result of our appeal within 10 days or so. (That tells me it is slip service process.) So, let's get the lawsuit preparation started!

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Maybe but does it limit the players suing? I'd love to see that.
Lawyers sure worked for uncheats.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think a major difference between the UNCheats debacle and our situation is that the baby blue folks denied there was anything happening. We turned ourselves in for the Bell stuff and admitted the LaBarrie stuff when it was reported to the NCAA by Mrs Carter. We can't say we didn't do it. Carolina didn't say they got a harsh penalty. they said they offered the same "classes" to all students so it was out of the purview of the NCAA. We can't make that argument.

While I understand the emotional reaction to sue, I've asked a handful of my attorney friends and they all say the same thing. We have no real recourse in court and will lose at great cost if we tried to go down that path. Not saying they're right, but that advice has been consistent in the folks I talked to.

GT_EE78

Banned
Agree with all you said but I'll throw a curveball in that I never thought I'd ever throw (considering I hate the man).

I think the only one crazy enough to take the job right now; discount , sanctions, and all, would be Pitino just to prove a point to the NeverCooperateWithTheseAholes...A.
Pitino,, hmmm
that would be like saying to the NCAA
upload_2019-9-28_12-46-59.gif

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping that there will be a lot of public condemnation of this ruling in sports and social media, that will embarrass the hell out of the (college sports pretend-governing body).
Doubt it, didn't help Missouri any.