NCAA Ruling - Postseason Ban, Among Other Bogus Things...

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, Todd is strong. Throwing your own people under a bus to satisfy an lynch mob is weak. Firing a good basketball coach while having no money to hire an upgrade to satisfy short term public opinion is weak. The Men's program has been undermined year after year by one boneheaded decision after another. Standing behind Pastner makes sense to me.

I usually have no particular loyalties to coaches one way or another. I'm a fan of a team and when the coaches win, I love 'em, and when they lose, I hate 'em.

But in the age of social media, fans have become even more irascible and fickle than normal. Everything is about ephemeral emotional states and punishing whomever for making them mad or low. It is ridiculous. Pastner has been surrounded by one bonehead after another and yet fans want his blood for it. In this climate, I don't mind coming out is support of a coach. I support Pastner and I defend him against having to take all the Ziggy for this mess.
Lmao. The biggest bonehead he was surrounded by was the one he brought on himself, Ron Bell

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
No, Todd is strong. Throwing your own people under a bus to satisfy an lynch mob is weak. Firing a good basketball coach while having no money to hire an upgrade to satisfy short term public opinion is weak. The Men's program has been undermined year after year by one boneheaded decision after another. Standing behind Pastner makes sense to me.

I usually have no particular loyalties to coaches one way or another. I'm a fan of a team and when the coaches win, I love 'em, and when they lose, I hate 'em.

But in the age of social media, fans have become even more irascible and fickle than normal. Everything is about ephemeral emotional states and punishing whomever for making them mad or low. It is ridiculous. Pastner has been surrounded by one bonehead after another and yet fans want his blood for it. In this climate, I don't mind coming out is support of a coach. I support Pastner and I defend him against having to take all the Ziggy for this mess.
What makes pastner a good coach ??

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Am I reading this right that athletes can transfer with no penalty due to the post season ban?

upload_2019-9-26_16-5-56.png

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I reading this right that athletes can transfer with no penalty due to the post season ban?

View attachment 6798

Yes, but only for those in their last year of eligibility. Banks and Shembari by my reckoning, although Banks still has a redshirt year so not sure how that plays in. Full text of the rule:

The Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief may waive the one-year residence requirement for student-athletes under the following conditions or circumstances:
. . .
(c) On the recommendation of the Committee on Infractions, for a student-athlete who transfers to a member institution to continue the student-athlete's opportunity for full participation in a sport because the student-athlete's original institution was placed on probation by the NCAA with sanctions that would preclude the institution's team in that sport from participating in postseason competition during all of the remaining seasons of the student-athlete's eligibility.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but only for those in their last year of eligibility. Banks and Shembari by my reckoning, although Banks still has a redshirt year so not sure how that plays in. Full text of the rule:

The Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief may waive the one-year residence requirement for student-athletes under the following conditions or circumstances:
. . .
(c) On the recommendation of the Committee on Infractions, for a student-athlete who transfers to a member institution to continue the student-athlete's opportunity for full participation in a sport because the student-athlete's original institution was placed on probation by the NCAA with sanctions that would preclude the institution's team in that sport from participating in postseason competition during all of the remaining seasons of the student-athlete's eligibility.

Thats the rule, but pretty sure they have been granting waivers for any players fleeing a sanctioned program, at their discretion.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I'd caution folks who feel this way to acknowledge our present financial situation after the fball hire(s).

I'd imagine TStan's support is in light of (a) ability to fire with cause (or lack thereof), (b) timing of recent hires and (c) pending litigation (related to the wbb firing as well as potential litigation associated with a firing now).

he is trying to fix the sad state of a program he inherited from the last 2 sorry a++d ads that we had. or would that be three?

bobinski braine radakovitch did us no favors. i prefer todd over all 3.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
He runs the most coherent schemes on both ends than I have seen at GT since Cremins. I think his "Get Old, Stay Old" strategy is very reasonable given the state of the program. I think he has a great work ethic and is crazy about the game which I think can serve him well. If he is allowed any kind of foothold, I think he will recruit well.

Considering that Gt has allotted Pastner 45% of the average ACC head coaching salary, I think Gt could have done a whole lot worse. And I would remind fans that Pastner lated longer at GT than Drew did and Vandy where he has already crashed and burned WAY worse than Pastner...and Drew was the 1st choice.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He runs the most coherent schemes on both ends than I have seen at GT since Cremins. I think his "Get Old, Stay Old" strategy is very reasonable given the state of the program. I think he has a great work ethic and is crazy about the game which I think can serve him well. If he is allowed any kind of foothold, I think he will recruit well.

Considering that Gt has allotted Pastner 45% of the average ACC head coaching salary, I think Gt could have done a whole lot worse. And I would remind fans that Pastner lated longer at GT than Drew did and Vandy where he has already crashed and burned WAY worse than Pastner...and Drew was the 1st choice.

As an attorney, I also have to commend his text message management process. Per the NCAA decision: "The head coach has a personal process whereby he deletes text messages daily after responding and completing conversations." I wish more of my clients would do the same.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck

Yeah well Bryce at least made an NCAA tourney. Also, he lost Garland after like 5 games last season and he was a top 5 pick. And he had the best recruiting class in vandy hx. New Vandy AD saw an opportunity to put 'his' guy there and he did. I'd gladly take Drew over this clown we have.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA has always had a hard on for us. The bigger schools that they love get away with a slap on the wrist. Instead, they want to slap around the so called “weaker” schools. Correct action was taken on LaBarrie by GT. Ron Bell’s is categorized as a lesser offense by the NCAA. Does this really warrant a post season band?! Plus other severe penalties. Think GT needs to fight this and we need to support the team.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah well Bryce at least made an NCAA tourney. Also, he lost Garland after like 5 games last season and he was a top 5 pick. And he had the best recruiting class in vandy hx. New Vandy AD saw an opportunity to put 'his' guy there and he did. I'd gladly take Drew over this clown we have.
Drew was fired because he lost his team in Bill Lewis fashion.

I know lots of fans want Pastner gone. I'm not one of them.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
"Here was Stansbury: “We are disappointed with the severity of the penalties imposed, some of which will have a direct and unfair impact on current student-athletes. We are exploring our options and giving serious consideration on whether to appeal some aspects of the decision.”

Yeah, right. As the COI made clear, it considers the proud Institute a serial offender. Good luck with that appeal."

Dang I hate that Bark Madley... no telling how much pleasuer he is getting out of this.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
All this stuff has happened on his watch
That view is excessively broad and devoid of actual cause and effect. Not EVERYTHING that occurs in the family is the responsibility of the head of the household. Family members are autonomous agents and can act of their own accord. It is possible to be a good parent and have bad stuff happen. It is possible to be a good manager and have bad stuff happen.

When Hewitt goes to the national championship game and becomes a hot commodity, Braine does what he does to hang on to the next big thing. But then Hewitt takes a nose dive off the tree top of success. Who are fans mad at? Not Hewitt for tanking, but Braine. It was his decision and he has to be blamed for it, even though nobody squawked at the time the contract was given.

Fans are mad and they want someone to pay for making them mad. I get it. Have fun with that.