NCAA Rule Change Proposals

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sounds bad for our offense.

300 lb guy blocking in space while wearing knee brace is not a precise science.

For more agility we could we go to smaller (260#) ot??

Cam

Helluva Engineer
CPJ will adapt to whatever rule changes come about. He's said himself that if someone came to him with strong evidence that if something like cut blocks were dangerous, he'd tweak the offense to not utilize them. I'd imagine he'd be able to do the same if they banned some other technique that we utilize.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Actually I'd prefer we didn't cut block on the perimeter and instead just went after bigger backs for the a-back position to drive block ala 2014.
The 2014 crew cut plenty, they were pretty good at it, too. Also, there’s a very good reason we cut on the perimeter. The target is in space, moving and very agile. Cuts force the defender to take his eyes off his target in order to beat the block.

Most times, we don’t even need a take down, an “in-the-way” works well enough. There are plenty of advantages to this type of blocking when executed correctly. Problem is, they are very difficult to execute. Our best cutters over the years still missed blocks and more than you’d think.

I wish we could see the success rate for each player kept similarly to batting average in baseball. Then it’d be much easier to compare. But make no mistake, many a big play is thanks to a well timed/executed cut block. And many a busted play is the result of a poor one.

And another thing, defenders are much better at taking on and defeating them. The whole familiarity/experience thing... We must get better, too!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care for knee diving at all. Man up and square up.

I saw a ton of whiffs with it anyway last season.

Whiffs most often come from leaving your feet too soon or blocking too soon.. It is generally easier to beat a square up block than a cut and you can do it without taking your eyes off the runner. The closer to the runner the defender is the easier it is to make the block. In the day we used a cross body block using the hip, followed by a crab motion. You can see a lot of those type blocks in the vintage GT video of games in the 50's and 60's. I do not know why the game moved away from those blocks as they were good at cutting off pursuit of the defender and tying up his charge..

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...lege-football-change-kickoff-rule-recommended

Most discussion is about the kickoff rule, but there’s also a proposal to ban blocks below the waist that occur greater than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. How much do you think this would affect GT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much. Or at least not just us since every team uses low blocks on the perimeter. As long as they are still allowed in the LOS I don’t see it changing much of what we do.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The low blocking rule is probably going to get passed. It will be interesting to see the effect on football as a whole...not just Georgia Tech. If I had to guess I’d say it will negatively affect the number of big plays on the edge.

The kickoff thing is stupid. Fair catch at the 20 would give you the ball at the 25? Yeah, ok....might as well just get rid of kickoffs altogether at this point. The only time they will matter is at the end of halves and games when you have to try to return it to score. I think it’s just going to make everyone that much worse at kick coverage. I’m just speculating here, but the result could be less live kickoffs due to the rule, but more more dangerous scenarios when they do happen, since they will occur less often.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The low blocking rule is probably going to get passed. It will be interesting to see the effect on football as a whole...not just Georgia Tech. If I had to guess I’d say it will negatively affect the number of big plays on the edge.
I don't know if it'll be passed or not, but it would hurt our O a bunch. Our lead block on the triple is the playside Aback cutting the playside lb:

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-29%20at%207.43.35%20AM.png

This block is often made more than 5 yards downfield. I guess we can leave it open for the Aback to decide which type of block to use based on where he is on the field at the time, but that is too much to put on the Aback, imo, and it leaves a lot of room for the ref to screw up the call.

Also, look how much we rely on the playside tackle getting to the MLB. If we miss him, which we often did, he has a free run at the play with no blocker assigned to him. When the MLB is super athletic, which many of our opponents are, and get a head start, which many of our opponents do, it makes the triple nearly impossible to execute. We should not at all be surprised that it was rarely called last year. We need a super athletic OT more than anything, imo.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it'll be passed or not, but it would hurt our O a bunch. Our lead block on the triple is the playside Aback cutting the playside lb:

This block is often made more than 5 yards downfield. I guess we can leave it open for the Aback to decide which type of block to use based on where he is on the field at the time, but that is too much to put on the Aback, imo, and it leaves a lot of room for the ref to screw up the call.

Also, look how much we rely on the playside tackle getting to the MLB. If we miss him, which we often did, he has a free run at the play with no blocker assigned to him. When the MLB is super athletic, which many of our opponents are, and get a head start, which many of our opponents do, it makes the triple nearly impossible to execute. We should not at all be surprised that it was rarely called last year. We need a super athletic OT more than anything, imo.
I agree with you and think GT could very well have to switch to another offense in the future

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

People often call this offens ea high school offense, however in most highschools this kind of blocking is already illegal. Just like the change to the crack rule it would actually just result in a change in blocking schemes and maybe the kind of people you recruit at A back. We have more success when we don't cut on the frotn side and instead lock up and drive. It Allows the play to be less precision timing dependant. Woudl it change a few things, yeah but it doesn't break the offense, in some ways it makes it slightly stronger by forcing body blocking on the perimeter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
People often call this offens ea high school offense, however in most highschools this kind of blocking is already illegal. Just like the change to the crack rule it would actually just result in a change in blocking schemes and maybe the kind of people you recruit at A back. We have more success when we don't cut on the frotn side and instead lock up and drive. It Allows the play to be less precision timing dependant. Woudl it change a few things, yeah but it doesn't break the offense, in some ways it makes it slightly stronger by forcing body blocking on the perimeter.
I don’t know, you could be right though. I see the cut block as essential on this play. You have a highly agile defender in space coming at you at full speed. How do you even get into position to drive block him?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know, you could be right though. I see the cut block as essential on this play. You have a highly agile defender in space coming at you at full speed. How do you even get into position to drive block him?

Drive might have been a slightly miss speak. You can still take the guy on up top just fine, you might get blown up but the key to the offense is simply occupy. The best cut block targets the thigh or the hips. I bet the way this thing gets worded is that you can't go for the knees if you drill into the guys stomach area you are going to do the same thing as cutting him and the bonus is he isn't going to be able to shuck you down.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Paul spoke about this at one of his coaching clinics. He said you would just need to use a larger AB and block the defender straight up.

The way teams line the Mike up several yards back makes me wonder why we don't let the Tackle take the Sam and the AB take the Mike. Similar to a corner/safety exchange when the corner blitzes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Paul spoke about this at one of his coaching clinics. He said you would just need to use a larger AB and block the defender straight up.

The way teams line the Mike up several yards back makes me wonder why we don't let the Tackle take the Sam and the AB take the Mike. Similar to a corner/safety exchange when the corner blitzes.
I think the best way to neutralize the mike is to have a consistent dive threat that demands his attention. Or a midline or some other inside run game that punishes the Mike for vacating the middle of the field. Remember MJ’s td run at VT a couple years ago...?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

This is actually something we have done in the past to deal with this. but this blocking patter actually works better off the midline and midline triple.