NCAA Eyes Early Signing Period

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is fair and sensible but who knows if it will happen. It would appear to be a factory vs the rest of us issue, with factories preferring the status quo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Think about how many really good players don't reach their potential until their senior season. With an early signing period, many of those guys will still be left after the dream schools are full with early signees. Gotta be a good thing for TECH all the way around. Less poaching etc too.
When you say "full" do you mean their allotted 35? :cool:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The SEC has offered its recommendation - http://espn.go.com/college-football...mmend-earlier-signing-day-monday-thanksgiving

DESTIN, Fla. -- The SEC prefers the current recruiting signing period, but with "mounting interest" in an early signing day, the conference recommended it be the Monday after Thanksgiving, SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Wednesday. Under the SEC proposal, the only high school prospects who would sign early would be ones not making official visits.

The Conference Commissioners Association, which governs the signing date, meets in mid-June. The CCA would have to approve an early signing period. Slive admitted he hopes an early signing period is not on the agenda. Earlier this month, the ACC recommended an early signing day be on Aug. 1.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
The SEC has offered its recommendation - http://espn.go.com/college-football...mmend-earlier-signing-day-monday-thanksgiving

DESTIN, Fla. -- The SEC prefers the current recruiting signing period, but with "mounting interest" in an early signing day, the conference recommended it be the Monday after Thanksgiving, SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Wednesday. Under the SEC proposal, the only high school prospects who would sign early would be ones not making official visits.

The Conference Commissioners Association, which governs the signing date, meets in mid-June. The CCA would have to approve an early signing period. Slive admitted he hopes an early signing period is not on the agenda. Earlier this month, the ACC recommended an early signing day be on Aug. 1.

"We'd like to not be under the obligation to actually sign the kids we've offered until they finished playing their high school seasons so as to know whether they got hurt, maybe weren't as good as we thought, what kids we can poach from other schools, or someone else got more interested in us. Also we wouldn't like other schools to be able to sign kids before we get a couple more months to try and poach the good ones from them."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"We'd like to not be under the obligation to actually sign the kids we've offered until they finished playing their high school seasons so as to know whether they got hurt, maybe weren't as good as we thought, what kids we can poach from other schools, or someone else got more interested in us. Also we wouldn't like other schools to be able to sign kids before we get a couple more months to try and poach the good ones from them."
That's how I read it too.:D

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I see why Stanford wouldn't like it.
I can see the pros and cons.
But in all I'm in favor of it.
Schools like Stanford & GT to some degree will have to adjust.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
In general I think GT football would not have to adjust too much. Seems we have a bigger issue being pouched than most other Power 5 teams.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
On top of all of the early signing, teams should be able to offer 4 year commitments and have those count against their 85 limit!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson in favor of scrapping signing day

“It would cut all the (crap) out of it. All those people who think they have offers would find out that they really don’t have offers. You know, if somebody walked in your school and said ‘You have an offer,’ the kid could say ‘OK, where is it? I’m ready to sign it.’ This would stop all this foolishness."

“And it would work the same way with the kids saying ‘Yeah, coach, I’m committed.’ The college says ‘OK, here’s your scholarship. Sign it.’ The kid says ‘Well, I don’t want to sign right now.’ Well then that kid is not committed. If a kid didn’t want to sign, they wouldn’t sign. And if he did sign, it’s binding. It would stop all this ‘He’s a soft commit.’ It’s not a commit, it’s a reservation.’"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson in favor of scrapping signing day

“It would cut all the (crap) out of it. All those people who think they have offers would find out that they really don’t have offers. You know, if somebody walked in your school and said ‘You have an offer,’ the kid could say ‘OK, where is it? I’m ready to sign it.’ This would stop all this foolishness."

“And it would work the same way with the kids saying ‘Yeah, coach, I’m committed.’ The college says ‘OK, here’s your scholarship. Sign it.’ The kid says ‘Well, I don’t want to sign right now.’ Well then that kid is not committed. If a kid didn’t want to sign, they wouldn’t sign. And if he did sign, it’s binding. It would stop all this ‘He’s a soft commit.’ It’s not a commit, it’s a reservation.’"
All of this is nothing but true. I can't see one logical argument for keeping signing day. Signing day does nothing to protect kids in the current process. Eliminating signing day doesn't force kids into hastey decisions that are binding. If they don't want to sign, don't sign. Just be aware every team has a limited number of spots and you're taking your chances when you wait. It will limit the number of offers extended because schools (coaches) know that once a kid signs, they are bound to him as well.

Teams at the top of the recruiting pecking order will fight this tooth and nail because it means they cannot poach "lesser" teams recruits anymore.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
All of this is nothing but true. I can't see one logical argument for keeping signing day. Signing day does nothing to protect kids in the current process. Eliminating signing day doesn't force kids into hastey decisions that are binding. If they don't want to sign, don't sign. Just be aware every team has a limited number of spots and you're taking your chances when you wait. It will limit the number of offers extended because schools (coaches) know that once a kid signs, they are bound to him as well.

Teams at the top of the recruiting pecking order will fight this tooth and nail because it means they cannot poach "lesser" teams recruits anymore.

I agree with you 100% but I don't think we ever get rid of "signing day", per se. Even if we get an early signing period, I believe we'll just end up with 2 different signing days because ESPN has figured out that people will watch...and thus, they can televise it and make money.