NCAA Defenses -- Catching Up to HUNH

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Interesting Read from ESPN

A Couple of Interesting Notes
Many defensive coaches are designing their units in the image of those they're trying to stop. They're preaching speed and pace -- whether in recruiting, practices or signaling -- and a situations-based strategy to try to slow down the spread, if not stop it entirely.

And

One position seems to be on life support.

"The days of the box linebacker -- that tough, middle linebacker kid that maybe you think of with Penn State football or Big Ten football -- is a guy who has become somewhat obsolete," said Shoop, who often uses just two linebackers in his alignment.

Added Knowles: "Big, inside linebackers, those guys are gone."

Mason notes that many of those players still suit up on Sundays, but if you can't find linebackers with the ideal size-speed ratio, and most teams can't, you lean toward speed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Somehow I'm convinced that if an athlete the caliber of **** Butkus, Tommy Nobis, or even Keith Brooking turned up on campus, the middle LB position would suddenly become more relevant. Overall, however, I look on this as a plus for Tech. I don't think the dive would work consistently against someone like Butkus.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the whole HUNH offense gets way overplayed in the sense that some fans tend to read too much into the role it plays in a team's success. People forget that teams like Oregon and Auburn are still well coached with very good players. The hurry up just gives them an added dimension, and compliments what they're already doing.

For instance, UNC runs a HUNH offense. Did it really help them all that much? It's still about how well you coach 'em up, and how good your players are.

Also, with regard to Malzahn and Auburn, the beauty of his offense is he can do multiple things with his personnel. So the defense is running a 4-2-5? Great, he'll put his H-back in motion, and run a "power" play and have his QB or RB follow the H back through the hole where there's more space since the MLB is no longer there. He'll take that easy 5+ yards because the personnel to defend the power play isn't there. So the defense reverts back to a "traditional" 4-3 to defend against the "power" play utilizing the H-back? Great....now Malzahn will shift the H-back into space and motion the RB into space as well. Now you're defending a 5 receiver "spread" look with 4-3 personnel. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. In a way, CPJ's offense does the same things depending on the package of players that are on the field...it just looks different than "traditional" offensive alignments. Just not the hurry up element...yet.

That analysis is pretty elementary, because great defenses have "flex" or "joker" type defenders that can play multiple positions and give you multiple looks. Guys like Brandon Watts, Jemea Thomas, and Jeremiah Attaochou. Those guys are a premium now a days because they can play many roles to give your defense multiple looks in appearance and utility. It's no secret that Roof is going to the 4-2-5, but that doesn't mean he won't have bring a safety into the box to act like a de-facto 3rd LB if the offensive personnel and look calls for it.

The point of all that is, HUNH is great and it enhances what the offense is doing a little bit, but it's success overshadows what's really making those great offenses tick: Great coaching + great players. That formula is as true today as it was when the game first started.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with the comment about needing multirole players on defense. You need a couple of defenders that are strong enough to play run defense, yet fast enough to play coverage. Tough to find perhaps (recruit TE types?), but I think that is where you have to go.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the comment about needing multirole players on defense. You need a couple of defenders that are strong enough to play run defense, yet fast enough to play coverage. Tough to find perhaps (recruit TE types?), but I think that is where you have to go.

Big, tough, fast safetys with skills to play CB and MLB. Shouldn't be too hard to find!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It just means more tweener type players perhaps ..
Bigger safeties
Bigger corners

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
That was a good read. It would be nice if Roof had another year with Jemea. To me he is the prototype hybrid player to go against the HUNH offenses.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Darn good comment Techster. Everyone should scroll up and read it again.
Especially - "The point of all that is, HUNH is great and it enhances what the offense is doing a little bit, but it's success overshadows what's really making those great offenses tick: Great coaching + great players. That formula is as true today as it was when the game first started."

texasjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Darn good comment Techster. Everyone should scroll up and read it again.
Especially - "The point of all that is, HUNH is great and it enhances what the offense is doing a little bit, but it's success overshadows what's really making those great offenses tick: Great coaching + great players. That formula is as true today as it was when the game first started."
Added to this that the best athletes on the field usually end up on the offensive side of the ball. Boosters, fans, and ESPN like seeing big points on the score board. Until that trend decreases, coaches will continue to stack the offense with his best players.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Added to this that the best athletes on the field usually end up on the offensive side of the ball. Boosters, fans, and ESPN like seeing big points on the score board. Until that trend decreases, coaches will continue to stack the offense with his best players.
Thanks Reginald.