NCAA Baseball Tournament

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, the ACC down to one loss for each of 3 teams. May not have a representative in the CWS for the first time in a while unless we take care of business.

UVA with a 6-5 loss to DBU in Columbia SC. Need to win two.

NC State bounced back with a win at #1 Arkansas 6-5, after whatever that was last night. After they got down big early, I suspect they used the same pitchers that they used in the ACC tournament game against UNC that meant nothing but bragging rights. At one point in that game, the scoreboard listed an NC State pitcher with a number of -1 and a name of "unknown"... Just win tomorrow.

Notre Dame seemed to have a lead most of the game, but fell 9-8 to Mississippi State. They should be playing this game in South Bend, but they're in Mississippi thanks to the genius of the tournament "committee". Now need to win two.

My rooting interests now: Lets F'ing go UVA, NC State, and Notre Dame. Go ACC!

And of course Vandy, so I can say that the eventual national champions had to beat us 4-3 and 14-11 in 11 innings on their home field to advance in regionals...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, the ACC down to one loss for each of 3 teams. May not have a representative in the CWS for the first time in a while unless we take care of business.

UVA with a 6-5 loss to DBU in Columbia SC. Need to win two.

NC State bounced back with a win at #1 Arkansas 6-5, after whatever that was last night. After they got down big early, I suspect they used the same pitchers that they used in the ACC tournament game against UNC that meant nothing but bragging rights. At one point in that game, the scoreboard listed an NC State pitcher with a number of -1 and a name of "unknown"... Just win tomorrow.

Notre Dame seemed to have a lead most of the game, but fell 9-8 to Mississippi State. They should be playing this game in South Bend, but they're in Mississippi thanks to the genius of the tournament "committee". Now need to win two.

My rooting interests now: Lets F'ing go UVA, NC State, and Notre Dame. Go ACC!

And of course Vandy, so I can say that the eventual national champions had to beat us 4-3 and 14-11 in 11 innings on their home field to advance in regionals...
I'm rooting for Dallas Baptist and USF. Love to see smaller schools get their chance to win a championship in baseball.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa bounces back. 4-0 over DB. 4 in B8 to prevent having to do walk off.

Advantage UVa now :)

I usually root for the underdog, but root for UVa except against us. We need ACC wins to keep the narrative from being that ACC was consistently mediocre. That case can be statistically made unless we make some noise in the CWS.

I'd root for NC State anytime including tonight. But piss on ND. Hope they get beat BAD.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I usually root for the underdog, but root for UVa except against us. We need ACC wins to keep the narrative from being that ACC was consistently mediocre. That case can be statistically made unless we make some noise in the CWS.

I'd root for NC State anytime including tonight. But piss on ND. Hope they get beat BAD.
SEC will have 2(min) & as many as 5 in Omaha.

ND & NCST have a say... as they face SEC teams in supers.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

In football, I'd agree with you. But it's baseball. Notre Dame should have home field advantage, but the committee shat on the ACC. They beat MSU 6 or 7 times out of 10 on a neutral field, if not more. D1Baseball has Notre Dame as 6, Mississippi State as 11. I trust D1Baseball over any NCAA committee any day. Go Irish! Go ACC!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In football, I'd agree with you. But it's baseball. Notre Dame should have home field advantage, but the committee shat on the ACC. They beat MSU 6 or 7 times out of 10 on a neutral field, if not more. D1Baseball has Notre Dame as 6, Mississippi State as 11. I trust D1Baseball over any NCAA committee any day. Go Irish! Go ACC!

ND will never be part of the ACC IMHO till they come over in football too. And they are too arrogant to ever do that. Screw them in every sport.

The NCAA seeded according to RPI which led to more small colleges getting in. Not good for P5 teams but good for college baseball overall to give more little guys a shot.

The ACC was the third highest RPI conference. And not far ahead of the PAC-**. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/rpi-conference We needed to do better OOC, that's all. Just win the OOC games. But since we didn't and since the ACC was so "competitive" the RPI wasn't there. Still strange that GT won Coastal with a .583 ACC winning percentage. I haven't checked but that is a very low percentage for the winner of either division since the average is .500.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
ND will never be part of the ACC IMHO till they come over in football too. And they are too arrogant to ever do that. Screw them in every sport.

The NCAA seeded according to RPI which led to more small colleges getting in. Not good for P5 teams but good for college baseball overall to give more little guys a shot.

The ACC was the third highest RPI conference. And not far ahead of the PAC-**. https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2021/rpi-conference We needed to do better OOC, that's all. Just win the OOC games. But since we didn't and since the ACC was so "competitive" the RPI wasn't there. Still strange that GT won Coastal with a .583 ACC winning percentage. I haven't checked but that is a very low percentage for the winner of either division since the average is .500.
Isn't it strange that when the SEC teams beat each other in football it's because the conference is so strong and deep and they get rewarded for that in the rankings as well as RPI. When the same thing happens to ACC teams in baseball the narrative changes to it's a weak conference where any team can beat any other team and the league gets penalized in both ranking and RPI. This is why it is ludicrous that media members have any vote on the ranking system. Most have no idea of how good any teams are outside of their particular area of coverage.

Deleted member 2897

Well when they don’t give hardly any ACC teams a 1 seed but a bunch of SEC teams a 1 seed, the outcomes are much more certain for each.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well when they don’t give hardly any ACC teams a 1 seed but a bunch of SEC teams a 1 seed, the outcomes are much more certain for each.

I agree the ND should have been put at a North Eastern field. Putting them in the deep South was an insult and disadvantage. But as it's ND, I don't mind them being discriminated against after all the over rating they get elsewhere (football).

But the SEC teams which got the 1 seed deserved it. There should be an advantage based on regular season play. Not only did they do well in the SEC, they did well OOC. I don't like it, but you've got to win the games you play and they did.

All that said, NC State knocking off the #1 SEC team would be very sweet. Ar Kansas is only a 61% likely winner.
1623622035251.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
NC State sure stung the SEC narrative.

That's all you need to do. Win.

At least one ACC team in CWS. Maybe two and ND.
So if ND wins tomorrow that puts 3 ACC teams in the CWS and only 2 SEC teams (one of which was guaranteed since LSU and TN played each other). Does anyone think that the narrative will change about the ACC being mediocre? Not a chance....they will just come up with excuses like "the SEC wore themselves out playing each other all season" like they do with football.

With a win tomorrow by ND, it would be 3 ACC teams, 2 from the SEC, 2 from the PAC 10 (or whatever they call themselves now) and 1 from the Big 12. So the ACC would have the most representatives in all of college baseball. It would be nice if any of the talking heads recognized that but smart money says we will never hear that during the entire CWS.