NCAA Baseball Tournament

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
A lot of blowouts early. Can't recall this many non-competitive games this early on NCAA Saturday before.

Central Michigan beating Michigan 7-1 T8.
Duke beating Wright State 13-5 B7.
Southern Miss beating Southeast Missouri State 20-0 T7.
South Alabama beating Florida 16-1 B7.
Maryland beating Norfolk State 14-0 B5.
Indiana State beating Presbyterian 6-0 B2.

The only competitive games right now are:

UVA beating Jacksonville 11-7 B6.
Oregon State beating McNeese State 5-2 B5.

I guess you could consider the Michigan and Presbyterian games still competitive, as they're only 6 run deficits, but a lot of whoop *** being delivered so far this afternoon.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
WOW! 0-2 and Barbecue has happened to us as hosts though... I think D1Baseball made a snide comment about that in one of their articles.

We finished ahead of Miami because they missed a game against Wake due to COVID. They beat us head to head (although that was due to a Maxwell meltdown inning). They had a much better RPI than we did (pretty much non-conference schedule and performance - series win vs. Florida compared to series loss to Kennesaw State anyone...). We performed better in the ACC tournament than they did, but barely. I think Tech and Miami were very comparative teams, and were sent to regionals based on geography more than anything else.

We played the toughest possible schedule in the ACC and finished ahead of them. RPI is a meaningless argument with the lack of OOC games for the ACC this year.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We played the toughest possible schedule in the ACC and finished ahead of them. RPI is a meaningless argument with the lack of OOC games for the ACC this year.
Yes, you can argue that since we missed BC who was the last place team in the ACC, while Miami missed Notre Dame, who was the #1 seed in the ACC.

RPI is somewhat meaningless, yes. But a series win over top 16 seed Florida, at Florida, versus a series loss to Kennesaw State (2 home, 1 road if I recall correctly) does not help our case. Even with Florida flaming out in the NCAA tournament, I still think that's a great series win earlier this year.

Miami was 12-2 non-conference. Their only games against sub 0.500 teams were Florida International and Appalachian State. Won all of them. Only losses were at Florida and vs Florida Atlantic between our series and the Louisville series (which they went 5-1 in).

Tech was 7-6 non-conference. Losses to sub 0.500 teams Eastern Kentucky, Georgia State, and Auburn (don't let the name recognition fool you, they were not a good team this year). Also lost 2/3 to a winning, but not great KSU team, and lost to USC Upstate, who had a really good season, but is not an NCAA tournament team.

Bottom line, We're comparable teams that got sent to geographically convenient locations. As I stated earlier.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yes, you can argue that since we missed BC who was the last place team in the ACC, while Miami missed Notre Dame, who was the #1 seed in the ACC.

RPI is somewhat meaningless, yes. But a series win over top 16 seed Florida, at Florida, versus a series loss to Kennesaw State (2 home, 1 road if I recall correctly) does not help our case. Even with Florida flaming out in the NCAA tournament, I still think that's a great series win earlier this year.

Miami was 12-2 non-conference. Their only games against sub 0.500 teams were Florida International and Appalachian State. Won all of them. Only losses were at Florida and vs Florida Atlantic between our series and the Louisville series (which they went 5-1 in).

Tech was 7-6 non-conference. Losses to sub 0.500 teams Eastern Kentucky, Georgia State, and Auburn (don't let the name recognition fool you, they were not a good team this year). Also lost 2/3 to a winning, but not great KSU team, and lost to USC Upstate, who had a really good season, but is not an NCAA tournament team.

Bottom line, We're comparable teams that got sent to geographically convenient locations. As I stated earlier.

Everybody is aware they send teams regionally. My point was that it’s frustrating that our regional placement is generally a powerhouse.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Everybody is aware they send teams regionally. My point was that it’s frustrating that our regional placement is generally a powerhouse.

It really does suck. 4 out of the last 5 times we've haven't hosted we've gone to #1 seed's regional twice (Florida both times), the #2 seed once, and now the #4 seed (both Vanderbilt). Has definitely played a role in our tournament struggles. It's harder to upset the host when the host is a total monster. Our region hurts us when we host too because we usually get a strong #2 seed out of the SEC rather than someone like a UConn, UC Irvine, or Charlotte.

But it is what it is. Gotta beat the teams they put in front of you. Not much else you can do.

slugboy

Staff member
The regionals are like the old GT “look to your left, look to your right, …” weed out program, except it’s 3 out of 4 instead of 2 out of 3. Seeding just has to be “good enough” to let a College World Series-worthy team through each regional. The rest is just collateral damage.
You just have to survive, and assume that you’ll get a terrible draw.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It really does suck. 4 out of the last 5 times we've haven't hosted we've gone to #1 seed's regional twice (Florida both times), the #2 seed once, and now the #4 seed (both Vanderbilt). Has definitely played a role in our tournament struggles. It's harder to upset the host when the host is a total monster. Our region hurts us when we host too because we usually get a strong #2 seed out of the SEC rather than someone like a UConn, UC Irvine, or Charlotte.

But it is what it is. Gotta beat the teams they put in front of you. Not much else you can do.
This is a great post. True. Hard for fans to accept.... but doesn't make it less valid.

Deleted member 2897

were sent to regionals based on geography more than anything else.

Yup. It’s stupid. Last time we were the third highest #1 seed. We were supposed to get the third worst #2 seed, but instead we drew a team with an 18 RPI that narrowly missed being a #1 seed themselves. And the #3 seed was the former national champion from 2 years prior. And we were the away team against both of them. I mean, it’s so sad it’s funny. 🤷‍♂️

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Yup. It’s stupid. Last time we were the third highest #1 seed. We were supposed to get the third worst #2 seed, but instead we drew a team with an 18 RPI that narrowly missed being a #1 seed themselves. And the #3 seed was the former national champion from 2 years prior. And we were the away team against both of them. I mean, it’s so sad it’s funny. 🤷‍♂️
If you want to change it, help to turn college baseball into a significant revenue generating sport. At some SEC schools, it probably is. For the rest of the country, it is not. Therefore, teams are sent to geographically convenient locations to reduce cost. I try to do my part by buying season tickets and attending Tech games when they are close to me and I can make it an easy weekend trip, i.e. Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Louisville. I also attend most ACC tournaments. Until more people give a damn about putting their money into college baseball, we will continue to get what we've been getting.

Deleted member 2897

I think I have this right.

6 (of 9) SEC teams advance. 4 will host their super.

2 (of 8) ACC teams advance... it'll be 3 if UVA wins today. No ACC team will host.

This is where ND really got screwed by committee.

Kind of what you would expect with #1 seeds versus non-#1 seeds. (n)