NCAA Baseball Tournament

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Wow... UT probably just won their regional with one swing.... walk off grand slam.
That would be TN. As the Other UT (TX), who also hosts a regional, took care of business in Austin 11-0.

I'm not picking on you, Fred. :ROFLMAO: I went to UT (TN) (y) and for those of us on the East Coast and the Ohio Region where I grew up in Cincinnati, UT meant Univ of TN.
Down here West of of Mississippi, especially in Texas, UT is Univ of Texas 🤘and the other is just Tennessee.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
This.

Given our pitching which finished 13th in a 14 team league in ERA, and were last in the league by a WIDE margin in walks allowed, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason for any fan to EXPECT us to win this Regional.

Personally, I think our best shot is to hope others screw up. A lot. Like, we hope Vandy slips up and loses their opener because the #4 seed starting pitcher throws the game of his life. Then we win Game #2 against that same #4 seed (who usually doesn't have much pitching past their #1 guy). Having to beat Vandy twice would be a tough task.

Only good news is...its baseball, and anything can happen in this sport...more so than in other sports. So, I predict we will go anywhere from 0-2 to 3-0 in this Regional, with very little idea what will really happen. But this is one year where if we fall (again) int he Regional, it likely won't be Danny Hall's fault. Unless we all decide it was.

btw, I'd start Hurter against Indiana State. They look like they could easily beat us unless we play our A game.
Well said all around. Did everyone hear Wiley's statement GT has their worst team ERA since 1995... So our pitching doesn't just feel really bad this season - it actually is that bad. Given our extremely poor pitching situation combined with poor defense, our single Indiana State W means we've now met any reasonable expectations for this Regional. Given, we've now burned Hurter, ANY additional W's in this regional should exceed expectations - which, of course, would be fantastic...! Bats have to win the day - likely will need at least 8-10 runs/game to stand decent chance of winning any more games in this one...

Great earlier points by others on giving Dbo more time. Just would have been a tad more encouraging to see existing pitching/player improvement for this season manifest itself into something better than a team worst ERA in over 25 years... Encouraging to see some string pitching talent coming next year...

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well said all around. Did everyone hear Wiley's statement GT has their worst team ERA since 1995... So our pitching doesn't just feel really bad this season - it actually is that bad. Given our extremely poor pitching situation combined with poor defense, our single Indiana State W means we've now met any reasonable expectations for this Regional. Given, we've now burned Hurter, ANY additional W's in this regional should exceed expectations - which, of course, would be fantastic...! Bats have to win the day - likely will need at least 8-10 runs/game to stand decent chance of winning any more games in this one...

Great earlier points by others on giving Dbo more time. Just would have been a tad more encouraging to see existing pitching/player improvement for this season manifest itself into something better than a team worst ERA in over 25 years... Encouraging to see some string pitching talent coming next year...
Amen. Today, we face the best pitcher & best baseball team we've seen all year... perhaps by a pretty wide margin. It is baseball & winning today is possible. This team will never quit... that's for sure.

I highlighted something I feel exactly the same on. I hope the "reasons" others believe pitching will improve do pan out. But I expected the needle to at least move (in the better direction) by now...a little. It hasn't.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
He can work on spin and pitching package, which he has done, but control is still on the pitcher.
You might have an incredible spin rate, but if you can't or don't throw it for strikes, there isn't anything anyone can do.
and your spin might be elite, but if they hit it and defense doesn't come through, runs score.

Kind of a perfect storm, and given how bad it's been all season, we're weathering it quite well to win the Coastal and be a #2 Seed in a Regional, to be honest.

Keep the faith and Keep Cheering for the Jackets!! Yesterday's comeback was IMPRESSIVE!!

That being said, I'm a realist.....Today's game is going to HURT. Leiter and Vandy are going to bring the pain.....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Yeah, heard what Wiley said. And here are the stats for the last 10 years and other thoughts on the DBo situation. We are all disappointed this year I think. https://gtswarm.com/threads/2022-pitching.23395/reply?quote=804399

The only exception I take with what you say is about defense implying we aren't playing well now (may not have meant that so sorry if I'm overthinking). I agree for the entire year we are on average playing awful defense. But we've gotten better in the last month and are making fewer errors and making plays to rob base hits that we weren't making earlier in the year.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
That would be TN. As the Other UT (TX), who also hosts a regional, took care of business in Austin 11-0.

I'm not picking on you, Fred. :ROFLMAO: I went to UT (TN) (y) and for those of us on the East Coast and the Ohio Region where I grew up in Cincinnati, UT meant Univ of TN.
Down here West of of Mississippi, especially in Texas, UT is Univ of Texas 🤘and the other is just Tennessee.
where I’m from on the east coast UT has always been Texas lol

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Amen. Today, we face the best pitcher & best baseball team we've seen all year... perhaps by a pretty wide margin. It is baseball & winning today is possible. This team will never quit... that's for sure.

I highlighted something I feel exactly the same on. I hope the "reasons" others believe pitching will improve do pan out. But I expected the needle to at least move (in the better direction) by now...a little. It hasn't.
I was very hopeful about having a deep and consistent pitching staff this year myself. Hasn't worked out. Have Hurter and Archer both coming back from elbow surgeries, and both have been solid at times but shaky at times as well. Roedig coming back from arm surgery, which apparently didn't work out so well. Grissom being limited early due to injury (I assume). Finley going out with TJ surgery. The rest, mostly up and down from appearance to appearance. Again, I suspect COVID played a significant part. Would have loved to see Maxwell work out his control issues last year, but if you can't pitch in competitive situations, you're not going to build the skills needed for consistency in such situations.

Also not playing as many mid week games this year (or early season games against non ACC opponents) provides less time for development of pitchers. I'd be willing to guess that a lot of our eventual Friday night starters began their careers as mid week starters. Mark Pope, who dominated Georgia his freshman year, stands out. Too lazy to look it up, but I suspect McGuire, Farmer, and others also got their rotation starts on Tuesday or Wednesday as well. X is one outlier that I clearly recall, as he was starting as a freshman Friday night in our first ACC series that year against Miami. One of my favorite series to go to in March, as it's cold as F in Ohio and I can watch spring training ball on my way down and my way back from Miami.

I refer again to Leiter and Rocker's stats their last 5 or 6 starts. Not that impressive for what most predict will be the top 2 arms off the board in the 2021 MLB draft, high school or college. Back in April, Leiter and Rocker were projected at 1 and 3. The latest I saw from Jonathan Mayo were 3 and 6. So they've slipped a few spots over the last month or two. Even the best seem to be having their issues due to last year's shutdown and no summer ball to work on things.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Duke beating Wright State 13-4 B5 in their elimination game. Wright State deserved better in this tourney, in my opinion. I am biased though, as I lived a mile or two from their campus when I lived in Dayton.

UVA losing 7-5 to Jacksonville B5. Hope UVA can pull that one out and make a run to beat South Carolina and challenge ODU.

South Alabama beating Florida 4-1 B6. Would be the first 1 seed to exit. Let's go USA!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Duke beating Wright State 13-4 B5 in their elimination game. Wright State deserved better in this tourney, in my opinion. I am biased though, as I lived a mile or two from their campus when I lived in Dayton.

UVA losing 7-5 to Jacksonville B5. Hope UVA can pull that one out and make a run to beat South Carolina and challenge ODU.

South Alabama beating Florida 4-1 B6. Would be the first 1 seed to exit. Let's go USA!
Miami travels to Gainesville & doesn't have to even face Florida. Weird

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Miami travels to Gainesville & doesn't have to even face Florida. Weird

Getting boatraced out of their own park 14-1. Why can’t this ever happen to us when we travel to a regional. Feels like we’re always stuck with the best team in the country as our 1 seed.

We finish ahead of Miami in our division and they are rewarded with a 1 seed that they already took a series from this year.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Getting boatraced out of their own park 14-1. Why can’t this ever happen to us when we travel to a regional. Feels like we’re always stuck with the best team in the country as our 1 seed.

We finish ahead of Miami in our division and they are rewarded with a 1 seed that they already took a series from this year.
WOW! 0-2 and Barbecue has happened to us as hosts though... I think D1Baseball made a snide comment about that in one of their articles.

We finished ahead of Miami because they missed a game against Wake due to COVID. They beat us head to head (although that was due to a Maxwell meltdown inning). They had a much better RPI than we did (pretty much non-conference schedule and performance - series win vs. Florida compared to series loss to Kennesaw State anyone...). We performed better in the ACC tournament than they did, but barely. I think Tech and Miami were very comparative teams, and were sent to regionals based on geography more than anything else.