NCAA Baseball Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Truth is... none it matters even if we do start winning. D1 Baseball is same outfit that predicted Pitt & ND last in their respective divisions.

That said... we do need to start winning more.
World of difference between D1 predicting before games are played and predicting when 80% of the regular season games have been played.

D1 is pretty accurate when it gets close to the end of the season.

As much as it disturbs the status quo, ND and Pitt have unexpectedly won on the field. They deserve high rankings. We have failed to develop pitching depth and others have. I still think our pitching staff is as good as NDs, it's just that ND pulls their pitchers at the first sign of trouble. Pulling a reliever after he starts by throwing 4 balls is the way to go IMHO. Or maybe 2 BB to start. :cautious:

And as always, we agree that we need to start winning more.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
World of difference between D1 predicting before games are played and predicting when 80% of the regular season games have been played.

D1 is pretty accurate when it gets close to the end of the season.

As much as it disturbs the status quo, ND and Pitt have unexpectedly won on the field. They deserve high rankings. We have failed to develop pitching depth and others have. I still think our pitching staff is as good as NDs, it's just that ND pulls their pitchers at the first sign of trouble. Pulling a reliever after he starts by throwing 4 balls is the way to go IMHO. Or maybe 2 BB to start. :cautious:

And as always, we agree that we need to start winning more.
Mine was not a very serious comment.

We'll make the postseason... but will have to "surprise" to advance.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
there is no way in he11 we could handle Vandy...Leiter and Rocker.... given the current state of our offense and defense...let's be honest....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Todays game against Clempy from D1 POV:
1620557569065.png

Even with a sweep, we probably don't get in the top 20 teams to host. Our non-conference is too weak. But we will move up the rankings so that we aren't in #2's (Vandy right now) bracket.

And a Clempsoning loss would likely put them on the wrong side of the bubble. :cry:

A lot to play for.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
there is no way in he11 we could handle Vandy...Leiter and Rocker.... given the current state of our offense and defense...let's be honest....
That's what I thought back in 2013 when I went to the Vandy regional. But then, Josh Heddinger happened for a night:

Got a second shot with our ace Farmer on the mound, but didn't work out vs. the Vandy boys that night. Was an enjoyable and memorable regional to attend though!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As current leaders of Coastal division & coming off a big sweep, I would think Ga Tech just might be one of the 20 "potential" regional hosts announced late this coming week.

Wiley teased this at the end of the broadcast last night. I give us a 10% chance of hosting. Based on ACC record and leading Coastal definitely. But non-conference 161 RPI, no way. Those 4 losses to over 100 rpi teams are killers; and we had our opportunity.

The best we can hope for is be in the 17-20 "play-in" spot since they are announcing 20 potential locations for 16 final locations. I'm not sure when the final locations are decided, but let's wait till Thursday or Friday's announcement to see if that is moot.

All that said, I'm not afraid of going on the road especially if we are in a favorable bracket. Like 5 to 8 seed bracket. Being in a 1 or 2 seed bracket would be a killer. I think we are out of that IF AND ONLY IF we continue to win series.

1620645450740.png

THWG

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

I mean, we hosted a regional last time and got the #1 seed. But they made us be the away team twice, gave us a #2 seed that was almost a #1 seed, and gave us a #3 seed that was the national champion a couple years prior.