NCAA Allows Players to Get Paid

DroppedOut

Georgia Tech Fan
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ering-your-ncaa-name-image-likeness-questions

This article gives a lot of info and talks to agents, recruits, and coaches. Ibeeballin is right, it's great to be ahead of this one. They even name dropped Tech and CGC:

"Georgia Tech football coach Geoff Collins has put a lot of effort into the branding and marketing side of his program, especially when it comes to recruiting. Collins said he and his staff will likely implement a plan to incorporate the new NIL rules into their recruiting strategy, but aren't prepared to reveal that plan just yet."

Also this, UGA waiting to copy us most likely:

"When asked whether his school had any specific plans to utilize these new rules in recruiting, an SEC assistant said he wasn't sure what they can or can't do and haven't gotten that far in the planning stages."

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you look at it minus boosters which I think a lot of you should, because as rich as these boosters are these kids are gonna make 5x more money signing apparel and shoe deals, and also think about how hard it’s going to be for players outside of the Top 50 players to get those big time deals. The competition for the deals at big school will be stiff meaning players will want more parity with who they play for that makes their own brand more recognizable. The little 10k dollar deals for doing a car dealership commercial is not going to put teams over the hump. This helps smaller schools with bigger recruits because now the playing field is level in terms of what the NCAA sees so paying players illegally isn’t going to make players go one way or the other anymore. One more thing, it’s not just one brand deal either, kids will pick a college in a location that they can continuously work with local businesses to increase revenue. College Football has been a staple in America for 150 seasons and counting they wouldn’t do something they thought would ruin it. Too much money is made, so it’s only fair and logical to allow players to get paid as well. Here’s my point in simplest terms...
in 2020:
if your a top 50 recruit and love everything about Tech and Atlanta but want money so an Alabama booster offers you 100,000 and a Dodge Charger so you go there.
in 2021 :
Your a top 50 recruit love Tech, love Atlanta, and get an Adidas apparel contract making the decision to come to Tech much easier. Rather then take money under the table elsewhere.

By what stretch of the imagination does anyone think that this will prevent any "money from under the table"?

It might actually mean more of it available for more players instead of so much for a fewer number of players.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting. From marketing standpoint, Atlanta offers a LOT of potential opportunities for the right player. You know where being in Atlanta could play a factor? Club/Event promotions. Athletes and celebrities are getting paid tens and even hundreds of thousands to "promote" parties and events at clubs or restaurants. How many clubs are there in Atlanta? Of course there is the whole something "that doesn't line up with the NCAA's values" caveat.

Think of all the "same day event" promotions a GT athlete can be a part of because GT campus is an hour drive to various parts of the metro area.

Can you imagine all the places that would have wanted to use Joe Hamilton during his Heisman season, or Kenny Anderson/Dennis Scott/Brian Oliver during that Final 4 Season? How about clean cut and megastar Calvin Johnson?

I can see CGC with his marketing acumen telling kids, "Hey, 'Bama is all fine and well, but we can build the same thing here, AND give you marketing opportunities here that Tuscaloosa can't touch. Let's get Johnny 5star QB, throwing to Fred 5 star WR, and Sam our 5 star RB running all day. Make ten times the money here than those little SEC towns, AND go to the NFL..."

Milwaukee

Banned
Not surprised that the king of hot takes swings and misses. Easier to just lob insults than take a measured look at the one downside to this.

I am for players making money. I don't think it will ruin college football. I do fear the mindset that once they become paid then we don't have to respect them unless they "ball out"

Class used to mean something...

And you're wrong on the age as well. I am still in my early 40's.

We still love you @Augusta_Jacket.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting. From marketing standpoint, Atlanta offers a LOT of potential opportunities for the right player. You know where being in Atlanta could play a factor? Club/Event promotions. Athletes and celebrities are getting paid tens and even hundreds of thousands to "promote" parties and events at clubs or restaurants. How many clubs are there in Atlanta? Of course there is the whole something "that doesn't line up with the NCAA's values" caveat.

Think of all the "same day event" promotions a GT athlete can be a part of because GT campus is an hour drive to various parts of the metro area.

Can you imagine all the places that would have wanted to use Joe Hamilton during his Heisman season, or Kenny Anderson/Dennis Scott/Brian Oliver during that Final 4 Season? How about clean cut and megastar Calvin Johnson?

I can see CGC with his marketing acumen telling kids, "Hey, 'Bama is all fine and well, but we can build the same thing here, AND give you marketing opportunities here that Tuscaloosa can't touch. Let's get Johnny 5star QB, throwing to Fred 5 star WR, and Sam our 5 star RB running all day. Make ten times the money here than those little SEC towns, AND go to the NFL..."
That’s why this benefits Tech. This should be great for us.

It says fair market value and Atlanta is a much larger market than most places so that should equate to higher values.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And everyone assumes that a company in metro ATL is going to always assume a GT athlete is more marketable than a phenom from Clemson or Florida why?

I realize we are fortunate to have the skills of CGC (And the branding steps & philosophy he embraces) going into this. And it will be a great thing for many players.

But in a town like ATL- is a college stud going to garner promotion $ over a Falcons/Hawks/Braves stud? Or will a stud in Knoxville actually have a better chance at that $ in that type market?

The colleges & NCAA best think and organize this as never before.

And if we don't want to see dwag players on billboards next to our campus we best sign a lot more 5*.

And if we are this concerned with kids rights to make money - let them take their Buster Browns straight to the NFL out of high school. It works in MLB & the NBA. Let them have the best chance they can at the big bucks. Any takers I wonder?

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If you look at it minus boosters which I think a lot of you should, because as rich as these boosters are these kids are gonna make 5x more money signing apparel and shoe deals, and also think about how hard it’s going to be for players outside of the Top 50 players to get those big time deals. The competition for the deals at big school will be stiff meaning players will want more parity with who they play for that makes their own brand more recognizable. The little 10k dollar deals for doing a car dealership commercial is not going to put teams over the hump. This helps smaller schools with bigger recruits because now the playing field is level in terms of what the NCAA sees so paying players illegally isn’t going to make players go one way or the other anymore. One more thing, it’s not just one brand deal either, kids will pick a college in a location that they can continuously work with local businesses to increase revenue. College Football has been a staple in America for 150 seasons and counting they wouldn’t do something they thought would ruin it. Too much money is made, so it’s only fair and logical to allow players to get paid as well. Here’s my point in simplest terms...
in 2020:
if your a top 50 recruit and love everything about Tech and Atlanta but want money so an Alabama booster offers you 100,000 and a Dodge Charger so you go there.
in 2021 :
Your a top 50 recruit love Tech, love Atlanta, and get an Adidas apparel contract making the decision to come to Tech much easier. Rather then take money under the table elsewhere.

And how is it that because a player gets a promotion deal that they will no longer get money under the table as well?

Why does that magically stop?

Jmonty71

Banned
Next up... The 2022 High School All-American team, gets new cars, houses and all shocking attended the University of Alabama.... This news sponsored by Gatorade, who also sponsors all the kids that just went to Bama.... Funny enough????

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
A way this can be a problem is the number of scholarship doesn’t mean much after this. Bama could use up all their scholarship and still land 4 and 5 star guys. The recruit could be told to walk on at BAma and we will sign you to a promotional deal and that will pay for school and a little extra. Then when you are a starter you will be put on scholarship and still have the promotional deal. If a player doesn’t turn out to that good the promotional deal ends and the kid ends up transferring. I think this is a bad deal and will hurt football just like the one and dones in basketball.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And everyone assumes that a company in metro ATL is going to always assume a GT athlete is more marketable than a phenom from Clemson or Florida why?

This. If an ATL area company wanted to use a college football player to draw interest in their product by reaching the largest population fan base in the metro area, they're likely not using a GT athlete. I doubt GT would even be the second or third choice for most companies in the metro area.

Jmonty71

Banned
Apparently the NCAA has put up guardrails that limit even the new rules.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mike-check...full-publicity-rights/LYKs03bWDdKqPYnMJJiXAI/

One of these days a lawsuit is going to shred the NCAA to pieces...
I agree. I don't think the NCAA is doing themselves any favors. I'm all for having a minor league created for the NFL, over bastardizing college football. Let kids that want an education, get scholarships and do so, let the kids that want money, do so.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This. If an ATL area company wanted to use a college football player to draw interest in their product by reaching the largest population fan base in the metro area, they're likely not using a GT athlete. I doubt GT would even be the second or third choice for most companies in the metro area.

It goes back to popularity. How do you become popular from a team and personal standpoint? Win. The reason UGA and 'Bama and Clemson are so popular is because they are winning.

I think that's the selling point with GT: Come here, help us win. GT will help you with your brand, when we win, you will have the entirety of Atlanta knock on your doors for opportunities.

College football, college sports really, is regional. There are very few players that will become a national presence that affords them the opportunity to capitalize on being a college star in terms of outside their region. Maybe a player like Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields...the elite of the elite. For the most part, opportunities will come on the local and regional level. How do you do same day event promotions in Atlanta if you have practice and classes in Athens/Clemson/Tuscaloosa? Is Nick Saban/Kirby Smart going to let his star RB/QB/LB miss a day of classes or practice to travel to Atlanta to do an event promotion that night? If GT is winning, and an exciting player like Ahmarean Brown/Jeff Sims is making a name for themselves (with the help of GT branding machine), it's not much time for them to leave evening practice, do an event promotion in town for 2-3 hours, and be back in his dorm to study by 8-9pm. Think about the opportunities Josh Nesbitt and Demaryius Thomas missed in 2009 when our team a big deal in Atlanta, and they were VERY popular SAs on the Atlanta scene.

I think a guy like Jake Fromm could have capitalize with some offseason marketing campaigns (State Farm!!), but for the most part he would have had to capitilize on opportunities in and around Athen during the season...and it's during the season that these athletes are even in anyone's mind.

At the end of the day, if CGC builds GT into a top 10 team like he repeated says, then GT SAs will have ample opportunities...and that will help create momentum to recruit for on the field and off the field opportunities.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I don't think the NCAA is doing themselves any favors. I'm all for having a minor league created for the NFL, over bastardizing college football. Let kids that want an education, get scholarships and do so, let the kids that want money, do so.

As long as the NCAA is around, the NFL will never create a minor league. The NCAA is a defacto minor league for the NFL, and the NFL doesn't have to pay a dime, or have any legal ramifications. Why would the NFL even consider a minor league? They tried that once with the World League, and it was just a money pitt with little payoff in terms of talent development for the NFL.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It goes back to popularity. How do you become popular from a team and personal standpoint? Win. The reason UGA and 'Bama and Clemson are so popular is because they are winning.

I think that's the selling point with GT: Come here, help us win. GT will help you with your brand, when we win, you will have the entirety of Atlanta knock on your doors for opportunities.

College football, college sports really, is regional. There are very few players that will become a national presence that affords them the opportunity to capitalize on being a college star in terms of outside their region. Maybe a player like Trevor Lawrence, or Justin Fields...the elite of the elite. For the most part, opportunities will come on the local and regional level. How do you do same day event promotions in Atlanta if you have practice and classes in Athens/Clemson/Tuscaloosa? Is Nick Saban/Kirby Smart going to let his star RB/QB/LB miss a day of classes or practice to travel to Atlanta to do an event promotion that night? If GT is winning, and an exciting player like Ahmarean Brown/Jeff Sims is making a name for themselves (with the help of GT branding machine), it's not much time for them to leave evening practice, do an event promotion in town for 2-3 hours, and be back in his dorm to study by 8-9pm. Think about the opportunities Josh Nesbitt and Demaryius Thomas missed in 2009 when our team a big deal in Atlanta, and they were VERY popular SAs on the Atlanta scene.

I think a guy like Jake Fromm could have capitalize with some offseason marketing campaigns (State Farm!!), but for the most part he would have had to capitilize on opportunities in and around Athen during the season...and it's during the season that these athletes are even in anyone's mind.

At the end of the day, if CGC builds GT into a top 10 team like he repeated says, then GT SAs will have ample opportunities...and that will help create momentum to recruit for on the field and off the field opportunities.

I agree with you mostly, but it still boils down to a chicken/egg debate. We have to convince players to come here and help build a winning tradition instead of going to proven winners. So for a guy who is looking to monetize his college career, we are not choice 1, 2, or even 3 in the metro ATL area as far as endorsements are likely to go. That's why I said above that while these new rules are good for the players, and do not hurt the universities, I don't see a sea change in the status quo IRT recruiting and the likelihood of blue chip recruits changing their typical college choices.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you mostly, but it still boils down to a chicken/egg debate. We have to convince players to come here and help build a winning tradition instead of going to proven winners. So for a guy who is looking to monetize his college career, we are not choice 1, 2, or even 3 in the metro ATL area as far as endorsements are likely to go. That's why I said above that while these new rules are good for the players, and do not hurt the universities, I don't see a sea change in the status quo IRT recruiting and the likelihood of blue chip recruits changing their typical college choices.

It's going to be interesting. Atlanta will definitely be a selling point.

It goes back to what I kept repeating when CPJ was here: Eventually, GT will hire someone who can sell a vision of GT that can turn the negatives into a positive and GT will get its share of recruits.

Here we are 2 years later, and CGC brought in a top 25 class his first full recruiting cycle. The trick is to build on it, and not make it a one off accomplishment. You are right, it's definitely the chicken or the egg situation. I think having a branded minded, and "big picture" coach like CGC that can sell will help us A LOT. Now he has to win.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be interesting. Atlanta will definitely be a selling point.

It goes back to what I kept repeating when CPJ was here: Eventually, GT will hire someone who can sell a vision of GT that can turn the negatives into a positive and GT will get its share of recruits.

Here we are 2 years later, and CGC brought in a top 25 class his first full recruiting cycle. The trick is to build on it, and not make it a one off accomplishment. You are right, it's definitely the chicken or the egg situation. I think having a branded minded, and "big picture" coach like CGC that can sell will help us A LOT. Now he has to win.

It’s not gonna be companies like Coca-Cola and Delta using these college athletes. It’s gonna be the local HVAC company or car dealership in Rome or Albany, and they’re much more likely to have a UGA athlete than GT.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Lather, rinse, repeat!

If you don't want an education, then go to the NFL developmental league that they need to create. If you can't score over 800 or a 1000 on the SAT, then you should not be getting a division 1, BCS, whatever the heck they're calling it now, Student/athlete scholarship.