NCAA alleges rules violations by ex-Georgia Tech coach MaChelle Joseph

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From the article:

The NCAA’s charges, which stemmed from Tech’s own reporting of the matter to the NCAA in 2019, are threefold. Perhaps most notably, the NCAA found that on three occasions in 2018 she provided about $200 in cash to two team members (a total of approximately $600), with the money in one instance to be used for movie tickets for the team as a team-building exercise, on another occasion to pay for activities for team members accompanying a prospect on an official visit and a third time for unspecified purposes. They all would constitute violations of rules regarding impermissible extra benefits. If true, this would mean that team members competed in the 2018-19 season while ineligible.

LOL. We are terrible at cheating all around. If we're gonna get the hammer from the NCAA, at least make it worth it. Let's give $50K payments to multiple elite players and make the Final Four multiple years and really build our brand. Buckhead is close by, I'm sure basketball parents would love to live there. We can get them high paying jobs as well because Atlanta is full of GT graduates.

I'm kidding of course (kinda). But we seriously are the worst at getting busted for infractions that cost hundreds of dollars while other schools get away with infractions for hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars.

That's being a GT fan though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
GT needs to learn form the likes of LSU and UNC. Say NOTHING, admit NOTHING, and make the NCAA prove ANY allegation against you. Since the NCAA lacks subpoena power, we will wind up with the same penalties that LSU got (nothing). This business of "cooperating" with a corrupt organization is for the birds!

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
LOL. We are terrible at cheating all around. If we're gonna get the hammer from the NCAA, at least make it worth it.
Credit to the coach for taking the team to a movie instead of a men's coach taking a recruit to a strip club. Don't these coaches read the rule book?

Deleted member 2897

Weird, my post is gone. Anyway, I said I thought this article made us look good. We thought we smelled something and investigated. Joseph lied to us and cheated behind our backs and we eventually found out and fired her. Common sense says Joseph should get branded but not us. But the NCAA has never been about common sense and fairness. I’d expect our football team to lose 10 scholarships from this.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Weird, my post is gone. Anyway, I said I thought this article made us look good. We thought we smelled something and investigated. Joseph lied to us and cheated behind our backs and we eventually found out and fired her. Common sense says Joseph should get branded but not us. But the NCAA has never been about common sense and fairness. I’d expect our football team to lose 10 scholarships from this.
You posted under GTWBB, right after me(@ 9:56 am). We started the topic, as the OP in this one didn’t notice.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Anyway, I said I thought this article made us look good. We thought we smelled something and investigated. Joseph lied to us and cheated behind our backs and we eventually found out and fired her. Common sense says Joseph should get branded but not us. But the NCAA has never been about common sense and fairness. I’d expect our football team to lose 10 scholarships from this.
Yeah, it’s just like when we investigated the strip club incident, put Coach DLab on probation, and reported it all to the NCAA. Then over a year later the NCAA said “our crack investigation team just found out what GT did” and slammed us.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From the article:

The NCAA’s charges, which stemmed from Tech’s own reporting of the matter to the NCAA in 2019, are threefold. Perhaps most notably, the NCAA found that on three occasions in 2018 she provided about $200 in cash to two team members (a total of approximately $600), with the money in one instance to be used for movie tickets for the team as a team-building exercise, on another occasion to pay for activities for team members accompanying a prospect on an official visit and a third time for unspecified purposes. They all would constitute violations of rules regarding impermissible extra benefits. If true, this would mean that team members competed in the 2018-19 season while ineligible.

LOL. We are terrible at cheating all around. If we're gonna get the hammer from the NCAA, at least make it worth it. Let's give $50K payments to multiple elite players and make the Final Four multiple years and really build our brand. Buckhead is close by, I'm sure basketball parents would love to live there. We can get them high paying jobs as well because Atlanta is full of GT graduates.

I'm kidding of course (kinda). But we seriously are the worst at getting busted for infractions that cost hundreds of dollars while other schools get away with infractions for hundreds of THOUSANDS of dollars.

That's being a GT fan though.
If we were the school in Athens, we wouldn’t be receiving a notice of allegations. I can’t wait for the NCAA to die or at least become irrelevant

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
From the article:

The NCAA’s charges, which stemmed from Tech’s own reporting of the matter to the NCAA in 2019, are threefold. Perhaps most notably, the NCAA found that on three occasions in 2018 she provided about $200 in cash to two team members (a total of approximately $600), with the money in one instance to be used for movie tickets for the team as a team-building exercise, on another occasion to pay for activities for team members accompanying a prospect on an official visit and a third time for unspecified purposes. They all would constitute violations of rules regarding impermissible extra benefits. If true, this would mean that team members competed in the 2018-19 season while ineligible.....
Hey NCAA when you go after some SEC schools for crap like this, say like when a former players is handing out straight cash on national television following the NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and it's being aired live, then you can go after little fish crap like this.

Until then NCAA, please kindly go **** yourselves.