Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The crazy thing is that our QBs by eligibility next year will be:
Chayden Perry: Freshman
Tucker Gleason: Freshman
Jeff Sims: Freshman
Jordan Yates: rs-Freshman

LOL

Who do we actually expect to play? {rhetorical} Given the Sims experience of essentially playing one QB this season, that means 3 of 4 won't be playing QB barring injury. Or the next three years possibly.

Deleted member 2897

Who do we actually expect to play? {rhetorical} Given the Sims experience of essentially playing one QB this season, that means 3 of 4 won't be playing QB barring injury. Or the next three years possibly.

Many of us don’t think this list will look the same in a few months. But whether it changes or not, it’s still interesting.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
If you’re Yates you might as well finish your GT degree then transfer out to a smaller school where you can play and get a free masters (or just start your career if you don’t care to play anymore). Tucker should hang around. If Sims doesn’t take a step forward you or even Perry can win the job. Sims has shown potential and I fully support him and am excited for his future, but he has to take the next step. Some never do.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been trying to find a video of that. I too heard it and I believe he said he was starting to wonder about Sims' passing accuracy. I can't quote him without hearing it again. He has a lot more experience dealing with quarterbacks than I every will so I respect his opinion. I just hope we get better and his view changes.
He also said Cam Newton was a TE and passed on recruiting Deshaun Watson until damn near being forced too.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if Tucker stays in the program. He may feel he wasnt given much of a chance to prove himself and who knows what he was told when he was recruited. There have been a few chances for him to get some PT but for whatever reason Sims is given maximum snaps so far.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What I have an issue with is going into hurry up on the one yard line. Give the ball to Mason. If he doesn't get in, give it to him again. I don't think they could have stopped us from the one yard line.

NC State was a man short due getting hurt on Jeff run that they couldn’t sub out. We had 11 on 10 advantage.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Not that I'm convinced that we win with Gibbs but there are two things he gives us that Mason really doesn't.

The bigger is a receiving threat out of the backfield. He's averaging ~45 ypg receiving a game and no other back really gives us that.

The second is a home run threat. Mason is great at getting tough yards and grinding but the downside of that is what we saw yesterday. More plays means more chances to make mistakes ending drives. My opinion is that Gibbs has more of an ability to hit the homerun which would limit that type of issue. Now that argument relies on a difference in one or two plays so it could have made the difference, or it could have not happened.
Agree that Gibbs is special. But I just don’t think that the differential in the running game would’ve helped last night. Maybe you are right. But hard to watch self inflicted penalties. I’ll even give the PI a pass. The jawing and post whistle penalties are inexcusable.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
NC State was a man short due getting hurt on Jeff run that they couldn’t sub out. We had 11 on 10 advantage.
Well we had a delay and march it 5 yards back and then you know the rest.

Clearly the team is not there yet for sudden unscripted tempo changes. Hell they barely execute the the hurry up well in the first place. I’d rather they take their time and do it right. Especially with two freshmen playing critical roles.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Well we had a delay and march it 5 yards back and then you know the rest.

Clearly the team is not there yet for sudden unscripted tempo changes. Hell they barely execute the the hurry up well in the first place. I’d rather they take their time and do it right. Especially with two freshmen playing critical roles.
Lol the same message board complained when took his approach vs Louisville and called a timeout inside the 10

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck

but here again, we don’t know that any of our coaches knew that. It’s hard enough getting your own guys on the field, do guys in the booth watch for that kinda stuff and suggest a quick snap ? Seriously asking, i don’t know booth responsibilities for the personnel whose up there.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I heard that too. I don't pretend to be an expert on QB play, but I value Richt's commentary there. Rarely (not never) have I seen a guy substantially improve his accuracy over time. I have seen inaccurate guys get better at decision making and reading defenses, but accuracy, not so much.

I do know that Sims puts the ball in the vicinity of the receiver. Does he put it in the optimum (or near optimum) place? Not often enough, from my perspectivie.
Close only counts in horseshoes. Putting pressure on the quarterback is often what separates the winners from the losers in today's game. I watched Trask of Florida on Saturday. Sims has a long way to go before he is in that kind of company. On the other hand, all the practice he is getting in running away from defenders in this year's chuck and duck offense should come in handy the next couple of years. He does seem to have very good pocket awareness for a young quarterback and natural, fluid, running ability. "Smoove" should be his nickname or maybe "Smoke".

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How about that? We had a man advantage and still messed it up. I still contend that near the goal line give the ball to Mason with a lead blocker, maybe that tight end/snapper or another big back. He will get the ball in the end zone, one way or another. At some point, the guys have to man up and say here we come.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I've been trying to find a video of that. I too heard it and I believe he said he was starting to wonder about Sims' passing accuracy. I can't quote him without hearing it again. He has a lot more experience dealing with quarterbacks than I every will so I respect his opinion. I just hope we get better and his view changes.
Yep. I think I heard "wonder" about Sims' passing accuracy as well. He knows what he is talking about regarding quarterbacks but right now Sims' athleticism and elusiveness may be more important especially when he is running for his life.

Deleted member 2897

How the heck did you even find this thread?

Weird. I just replied and its not here. This was posted on the Injury Updates thread. Not sure why its on NC State postgame. It was an injury update, as matched on my phone to a search looking for an appropriate thread, so I wouldn't have to start a new thread for a particular person. Hopefully this response will stay.

POLE D

Georgia Tech Fan
Defense played their tails off - O seems to always start slow, and then when they get inside the other team's 30 yard line, the play calling and execution seems to go to pot. I think we probably win easy with Gibbs, as I believe he would have broken off some big runs or pass plays. An FBS power 5 school should not have to get inside the 15 yard line to try a FG. Penalties are a PROBLEM, and they cannot just be blamed on "youth". Frustrated, but still love my school and my team.
You dont have to get inside the 15 yard line to try a FG. You just need to play the kid that can make the kicks.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not a bad performance, except where it counts. We lost the game because of penalties in the red zone. There were others, of course, but the ones down there were what hurt. If we get the game to 20 - 17 when we had the ball on the one twice, I think Tech goes on to win. But they had their chances too and actually blew a few more then Tech did. So, on to the opinions:

The Good:

• We kicked two field goals! We kicked two field goals! We kicked two field goals! And I repeat: we kicked two field goals! Problem = we didn't have enough faith in Stewart to kick one when it might have helped.

• The run game was really good. Mason got 21 carries and delivered 99 yards, again just like clockwork. Smith looked good. And - wait for it - we actually called some runs for Sims and he delivered. You know, he could have been doing this for some little time instead fo running for his life instead.

• The D performed well in the run game again. I was impressed. Again.

The Bad:

10 TFLs again? I'm not sure how we rushed for 261 net yards with that stat staring us in the face. This has simply got to stop. And I'm not sure why it hasn't. Shoot, Clemson had 11 and these people weren't anywhere near as good on D as the Tiggers.

• And, as usual, the opposing QB feasted on our secondary. This, given the DL problems, is more understandable. But it isn't good.

• The team's concentration in scoring opportunities was a problem again. Why do we keep getting penalties at the very time we should not? By this time in the season, even one as screwed up as this one, you would expect that to be abating.

But, like I said, not a bad performance. With another year or two of experience - you will notice that I didn't get on Sims's case; he's freshman - a game like this would have been a win.

Did you notice the length of the FGs?Basically xtra pts. We will NOT win close games w/o a real threat from 40 yds.This might be , sorry, IS the WORST defect of the new regime.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We were running the ball at will down the field and then get into the red zone and try to pass? That's on Patenaude. Sims breaks out and runs down the field and dives for the end zone as he is tackled. Refs say he is down at the one, Patenaude decides to go hurry up and to try and score and we get a false start... why did he rush? Sims dove for the end zone and that play should have been reviewed but Patenaude went retard mode and decided to go hurry up.
They had plenty of time to review if they were going to.