NC State Postgame

TheOldWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
Love the win. Only complaints

1. Graham seems to have a knack for making some really bad mistakes in critical situations. That fumble was terrible. 35-13 would have essentially ended it

2. Collins needs to learn how to manage the damn clock. 1:21 left with 2nd down and no time outs for the opponent is two knees and leave the field. But then again, what could go wrong from shotgun snaps and the entire defense standing up your running back?

Clock management killed us against Citadel. Could have done it again today. He needs to learn how to handle those situations. It’s simple math...

Glad to have the win though!

fully agree with the clock mis-management, it’s one thing to throw away timeouts during the first half, but 2nd half timeouts need to be preserved for must-need moments.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Kind of disagree here. In the 2nd half, Graham was 1 for 5 thru the air. We tied TOP in the 2nd half, a half where NC State ran the ball extensively. We had success today getting explosives through the air, and Brown's long pass drop in the 4th quarter was a great call, great pass, and just a rare mistake by Brown. That drive could have iced it but ended with a punt.
This is why i think NC State needed to go for two when they scored the td with 11:53 left. If you miss it, you now know how much urgency you need to play with. NC State was just moseying down the field eating up too much clock. They then miss the 2pth and the rest is history.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Kind of disagree here. In the 2nd half, Graham was 1 for 5 thru the air. We tied TOP in the 2nd half, a half where NC State ran the ball extensively. We had success today getting explosives through the air, and Brown's long pass drop in the 4th quarter was a great call, great pass, and just a rare mistake by Brown. That drive could have iced it but ended with a punt.

Another of the incompletions was the pass to Malachi Carter in the wide open field. I was pleased with the playcalling on O.
Understand what you are saying but IMHO we needed to control more of the clock and any game plan not using Mason 20-25 times per game comes up short especially against NCST. We have an incredible back the more we use him the more we will be able set up the Brown passes. I Like this conversation

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree on Pnut First half yes he called an excellent game. But second half except for last drive he went away from Mason If Pnut had not gone away from him we would have controlled more of the TOP and our D would not have been waisted. BC showed that NCST could not stop the run. Up to the last drive Mason had only 4 carries in the second half Thank god Pnut allowed the Beast to take over

Eh. I dont have a problem with the 2nd half playcalling. Dont fumble and we ice it early.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the win. Only complaints

1. Graham seems to have a knack for making some really bad mistakes in critical situations. That fumble was terrible. 35-13 would have essentially ended it

2. Collins needs to learn how to manage the damn clock. 1:21 left with 2nd down and no time outs for the opponent is two knees and leave the field. But then again, what could go wrong from shotgun snaps and the entire defense standing up your running back?

Clock management killed us against Citadel. Could have done it again today. He needs to learn how to handle those situations. It’s simple math...

Glad to have the win though!

Couldn't agree more re: #2. 2 Victory Formation snaps were all we needed. CGC really needs to take some Football Clock Mgmt 101 courses in the offseason. His time mgmt needs work though at least we were snapping the ball with 2 secs on the game clock on our last drive.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Understand what you are saying but IMHO we needed to control more of the clock and any game plan not using Mason 20-25 times per game comes up short especially against NCST. We have an incredible back the more we use him the more we will be able set up the Brown passes. I Like this conversation

There were only 4 drives per team in the second half, and that includes us having a three and out drive and a drive shortened by a fumble. Hard to shorten a half more than 4 drives per side.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
More fun to discuss after a W for sure.

Ultimately we had 3 full drives in the 2nd half.
  • Drive 1: Touchdown
  • Drive 2: Fumble (bad mesh on play between Graham + Mason)
  • Drive 3: Punt (includes drop by Brown)
Then we killed the clock.

Conversely, NC State had 4 second half drives: TD, FG, TD, TD. Bleh.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Initial thoughts;
-after the first quarter, the defense took mason away on the read options and forced our hand. Graham answered well, but it led to turnovers.
-we needed to take more shots down field. We had guys open every time and a clear mismatch. Would've opened up the run and we would've scored more than 7 in the second half. I think we were trying to preserve the defense, but that didn't pan out too well.
-we've got to find a way to limit defensive snaps next year. I don't know how with the pieces we have. We've got no depth in the middle of the line.
-LB play continues to be problematic. It's been so bad for so long that we celebrate what should be a routine play as if it's a sign that something has finally clicked.
-we sure do give up a lot of yards along the sideline when our CBs are getting blocked. I'm hoping we get better at forcing the ball back into help in the offseason.
-I do not envy the coaches' jobs this week. I really don't know how you game plan for this situation. Put TO back in at QB and limit possessions?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Only 3 pages of comments after a W? It’s almost like some people expect Tech to lose, and others root for them to lose because they miss CPJ. Congrats to the team on the win. Probably going to finish the year with 3 Ws, what should’ve been 4, but whatever. I fully expect GT to win 6 next season. With all of the injuries and youth they played with this year, it would almost be a fluke to not win 6 next year. Yeah, I know it’s a tough schedule. But you get GW to start the year, which of Tech loses that game, I’ll be 100% out on CGC. But UCF isn’t that much more talented than GT, and without a 100% Mills, I don’t even know if they are more talented. Win those 2 games, it would definitely be possible to win 4 more with the Coastal and Syracuse on the schedule. 2021 might be a dangerous year for GT.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a big play offense. That a plus.
GT should keep being that way. The long drives aren’t working out that well.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Great day/night for me. Got my 5th hole in one (2nd one in 3 months) worth $200, and then a night at BDS with my son watching us get our 3rd win of the season. D line tired out in the 4th qtr, but we held on for the win. Not a top talented opponent, but still an ACC win. Was great win for our kids, much needed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Graham is pretty hit or miss in the passing game. If we can get the offensive line playing better, his feet are a real weapon though. He was making great decisions on scrambles and options and busting big plays. Mason is just an absolute beast. I honestly wasn’t too worried at the end because I figured we would let him pound it. The guy is going to be an NFL player. The defense seems to be regressing late in the season. Not sure what to make of that considering the talent we have. Overall, good to get another win.

Deleted member 2897

It’s crazy when you think about it - a few more plays and we could have won 5 games this year. But then you look at what USF, Miami, and NC State did and we weren’t far from Owen Twelve. Shew. Onward and upward!