NC State Game @ McCamish

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I will add that Howard, for all of the crap that gets, oftentimes rightfully so, played a very good game. Moore was also very good and Franklin also played well in more limited time. It was our guards, pretty much all of them, that didn’t get it done on the offensive side in this one. I thought Sturdivant played ok.
I thought Rodney played pretty well last night. He played closer to the basket more last night and the times I watched there was less Princeton run at the foul line. He even played more to the head of the key which should have opened up the lane. Guard play was bad last night. FT shooting is inexcusable. PG's at 60 and 50% is a head scratcher. I see that as a failure in our assistant coaches. FT shooting technique can be taught. Give Mark Price a call!! Some of the poor 3 point shooting may be due to good D by State but not all of it. J Moore played well last night.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't credit any team defense versus our offensive sets..... we don't run any sets
I hear you on the frustration with our offense, but ncstate’s man-to-man, on ball pressure was intense and relentless. Our ball handlers were struggling just to break half court, much less initiate the offense. We gave up several steals 1v1 in the open court. Other times, our guards would be so frustrated by the time they reached the front court that they would just put there head down and drive straight to the basket without even attempting to run the offense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Rodney played pretty well last night. He played closer to the basket more last night and the times I watched there was less Princeton run at the foul line. He even played more to the head of the key which should have opened up the lane. Guard play was bad last night. FT shooting is inexcusable. PG's at 60 and 50% is a head scratcher. I see that as a failure in our assistant coaches. FT shooting technique can be taught. Give Mark Price a call!! Some of the poor 3 point shooting may be due to good D by State but not all of it. J Moore played well last night.
Rodney also made a couple of jump shots from around 15 feet and made a couple of excellent bounce passes to back door cutters for layups. In terms of shooting, he is actually making a high percentage from midrange, but he is a very reluctant shooter. I wish he could be more consistent.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
NC State is currently the best team in the ACC against the three

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2-21 from 3
8-19 FT

Thank God Jalon showed up. Without him, we were 20-57.
Miles, Deebo, Devon, Lance and Kyle combined for 2-19 from 3.

May be the worst shooting I've ever seen in a game.
The shooting from 3 was so bad that they switched from a percentage to number made on the scoreboard.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Pastner said his players shot as if “there was a lid on the hoop” against N.C. State and added “If we were standing on the pier we wouldn’t be able to shoot in the ocean tonight. Just unexplainable."
Confidence may become an issue that can only be addressed with success.
“Nobody likes losing and it can wear on you and your confidence can get shaken,” Pastner said. “It is confidence, so much of everything is between the ears. We’ve just got to see the ball go through the hoop.”

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Pastner said his players shot as if “there was a lid on the hoop” against N.C. State and added “If we were standing on the pier we wouldn’t be able to shoot in the ocean tonight. Just unexplainable."
Confidence may become an issue that can only be addressed with success.
“Nobody likes losing and it can wear on you and your confidence can get shaken,” Pastner said. “It is confidence, so much of everything is between the ears. We’ve just got to see the ball go through the hoop.”
I don’t disagree that confidence has a lot to do with it. We are missing makable shots, but I think we are also taking bad / contested shots. If Pastner really believes that we are getting the right looks and just missing shots, then the entire week of practice ought to be devoted to “seeing the ball go through the hoop.” Shoot so much that it becomes a reflex; guys waking up at night in their follow through!

For what it’s worth, we started the NCSt game something like 10 of 12, I believe, including 1/1 from 3pt. I kind of reject that our collective psyche is so fragile that a shooting start like that doesn’t build confidence at least through the half.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree on the free throw shooting. Surely there are drills that would increase the players’ proficiency. There is not near enough emphasis being put on that in my opinion. I would think a high school coach could come in and improve our free throw shooting.
I think Pastner is in a coaching slump. Batt needs to get involved and see if he can help Pastner turn it around.

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t disagree that confidence has a lot to do with it. We are missing makable shots, but I think we are also taking bad / contested shots. If Pastner really believes that we are getting the right looks and just missing shots, then the entire week of practice ought to be devoted to “seeing the ball go through the hoop.” Shoot so much that it becomes a reflex; guys waking up at night in their follow through!

For what it’s worth, we started the NCSt game something like 10 of 12, I believe, including 1/1 from 3pt. I kind of reject that our collective psyche is so fragile that a shooting start like that doesn’t build confidence at least through the half.
Agree 100%. Nothing builds confidence like practice. It is his job to help them develop that confidence.