NC State Game @ McCamish

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Screenshot_20230117-212327.png
won the turnover battle, close in rebounds, just can't put the ball through the hoop.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has scored 70+ in regulation one time in conference games. It was the single win. When the star of the team is the team…..

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
2-21 from 3
8-19 FT

Thank God Jalon showed up. Without him, we were 20-57.
Miles, Deebo, Devon, Lance and Kyle combined for 2-19 from 3.

May be the worst shooting I've ever seen in a game.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Attendance like that hurts with recruiting. That game would be full of State fans if played in Raleigh. Too bad our program has sunk this low. No one cares to make an effort to come these days. I find it hard to believe we can't get at least 1000 students to an ACC game and the arena is on campus. Batt needs to find reasons for dismal attendance and I get the fact that the team is not competitive. It sure won't be if you lose home court advantage. I guess the easy answer is a coaching change. Has our fan base given up? Attendance says it has. I would attend games when Morrison was coach in the Metro League. Now that was bad basketball.
Rutgers just got a 5* to commit in the locker room after their raucous home game against Ohio State. He may have been planning to commit anyway but I wouldn’t be surprised if that environment sealed the deal for him.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13929won the turnover battle, close in rebounds, just can't put the ball through the hoop.
Shooting was awful... particularly FT shooting. we obviously aren’t good shooters, but we also don’t get good shots.

We got to the line tonight... so much for that! when you miss more FT than you make, you won’t be very successful. No excuse for that. None. If we hit even a respectable number of FT, this becomes a winnable game.

We got 18 offensive rebounds. That’s a lot. Less impressive when you put it together with their 31 defensive boards.... that’s an astounding number of missed shots. It’s more than just poor shooting though... it’s also not getting good looks.

Early in the game NC state was really up tight on defense and it opened up the middle, gave us some back cuts and some good looks. Our d also forced them into some poor shots and turnovers that got us out in transition. As soon as NCSt settled down offensively and it became more of a half court game, we started to struggle. We actually played ok until about 6-7 min left in the half. State stepped back defensively, didn’t deny / overplay and it clogged the middle and took away cutters... we had to take jumpers.... ugh

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Good God that was an ugly display of shooting. It wouldn’t surprise me if we have a mass exodus after this year. Remember a good number of these guys were highly rated coming out of high school. They will have people telling them that is the environment and they need a change of scenery.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Rutgers just got a 5* to commit in the locker room after their raucous home game against Ohio State. He may have been planning to commit anyway but I wouldn’t be surprised if that environment sealed the deal for him.
Rutgers is in the middle of their best stretch of basketball since at least the 90s. Maybe even into the 70s.

They hired Steve Pikiell in 2016 for $1.5M a year.

We just fell to 1-6 in conference this year, and 6-21 over the last 2 years.

We’re in year 7 of Josh Pastner’s contract, who we originally hired in 2015 for $1.83M per year.

It ain’t the fans’ fault the team sucks. It falls 1000% solely on the coach. There were/are plenty of other coaches we could/can afford who are better than Pastner. Like I said before, we’re probably doing less with more than anyone in the country over the last 7 years.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We have no stamina and no identity. I could ask the 10 total fans watching who our best player is and have at least 4 different answers. Our guys get tired fast and then get lazy with ball movement and off the ball. I really believe talent isn't the problem here. Sure we're not full of NBA guys but we have a starting roster that should be able to win ACC games

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wow, that was a GREAT basketball to watch! High level of clutch plays. Lead swung back and forth. Packed arena full of energy and noise! Drama at the end and…then it goes to overtime! And at the end of OT a tipped ball ends Kansas’ last chance and KSU wins by 1!

Oh, was there a GT game tonight?

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
Attendance like that hurts with recruiting. That game would be full of State fans if played in Raleigh. Too bad our program has sunk this low. No one cares to make an effort to come these days. I find it hard to believe we can't get at least 1000 students to an ACC game and the arena is on campus. Batt needs to find reasons for dismal attendance and I get the fact that the team is not competitive. It sure won't be if you lose home court advantage. I guess the easy answer is a coaching change. Has our fan base given up? Attendance says it has. I would attend games when Morrison was coach in the Metro League. Now that was bad basketball.
As a student I’ll say the team just being garbage is one of the reasons, the other being the lack of promotions to entice students to come. I mean would you rather spend your night partying with friends, studying for classes or exams so you can enjoy your weekend, or come watch a horrible basketball team put 0 effort and get blown out.

I’ve been at Tech for a hot while and have gone to nearly every home basketball game we’ve had. I normally feel excitement and anticipation going to games. Now it feels like a chore. I go to support the team because no one else will, not because I want to go.

I remember back in my early days at Tech, Josh Okogie and Jose Alvarado would play with a passion, an energy, a burst that made you think that anything could happen. They were passionate about the school, the team, and pumping up fans. This current team just does not seem to show that same energy or passion and just seems to give up at inopportune times. I also say Pastner’s lack of success has hurt and added to the growing disillusionment of our Bball team that has killed attendance

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game and attendance, which has never been good anyway, is definitely waning.

Abysmal shooting obviously killed our chances in this game. 2/21 on 3’s and 8/19 on FT’s is almost unbelievable. And ncstate was money from the free throw line.

I will say ncstate’s full court, on-ball, defensive pressure is impressive. It certainly bothered our ball handlers and prevented us from running just about any of our offensive sets on many possessions as the game wore on.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I will add that Howard, for all of the crap that gets, oftentimes rightfully so, played a very good game. Moore was also very good and Franklin also played well in more limited time. It was our guards, pretty much all of them, that didn’t get it done on the offensive side in this one. I thought Sturdivant played ok.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
At least the fat guy fell out of the blow-up ball and gave me a good laugh. We would have to improve a LOT to suck.
Lol. Fell out of his pants too. I can’t believe they still do that wrecking ball challenge. Every time I see it I think someone is going to get hurt doing this. I hope GT is getting waivers signed 🤣

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. Fell out of his pants too. I can’t believe they still do that wrecking ball challenge. Every time I see it I think someone is going to get hurt doing this. I hope GT is getting waivers signed 🤣
Top highlight of the game for me. He should have committed 100% to the bit and fully mooned the crowd.

Other highlights for me over the last couple games:
1) Frisbee dogs
2) Snagging free pretzels after the game from the concession folks

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I was at the game and attendance, which has never been good anyway, is definitely waning.

Abysmal shooting obviously killed our chances in this game. 2/21 on 3’s and 8/19 on FT’s is almost unbelievable. And ncstate was money from the free throw line.

I will say ncstate’s full court, on-ball, defensive pressure is impressive. It certainly bothered our ball handlers and prevented us from running just about any of our offensive sets on many possessions as the game wore on.
I wouldn't credit any team defense versus our offensive sets..... we don't run any sets