NC paper prediction

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The Raleigh News had Tech SEVENTH in ACC this yr somehow.Also does not even mention our 3pt G transfer---hmmm. --Let me have some of what he is taking

also-Had Vt last, from coach and team losses.!

Deleted member 2897

The Raleigh News had Tech SEVENTH in ACC this yr somehow.Also does not even mention our 3pt G transfer---hmmm. --Let me have some of what he is taking

Well for the first time in several years, we have 4 guys who are top-125 nationally. We didn't lose anybody of substance from last year's team. I think guessing the middle of the road is a reasonable prediction.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
7th is reasonable. Anywhere from 6th to 10th is reasonable.

I would take a 7th place finish right now. That would be the highest ACC finish in a decade (and that was a 7th place finish in a 12 team league).
The last time GT finished in the top 1/2 of the league was 13 years ago.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
7th is reasonable. Anywhere from 6th to 10th is reasonable.

I would take a 7th place finish right now. That would be the highest ACC finish in a decade (and that was a 7th place finish in a 12 team league).
The last time GT finished in the top 1/2 of the league was 13 years ago.

7th is absolutely a win. We dance at 7. My staff voted GT at 10 which I thought was pretty good. I think we are an NIT team at low end. We should dance with waivers.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
7th is solid considering it’s almost a surefire kick that:
Duke
UNC
Louisville
Will be top 3
4th out of the final 12 teams ain’t bad
ACc basketball always ends up in “tiers” so to speak and being in the flirting with .500 play tier is a flirting with the tourney tier 2 and I’ll take that any day

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
7th is absolutely a win. We dance at 7. My staff voted GT at 10 which I thought was pretty good. I think we are an NIT team at low end. We should dance with waivers.

Your staff??? What's that - you and the cleaning lady? :p :cool:

BTW I am closer to you than the N&O unless Parham gets the wavier

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Your staff??? What's that - you and the cleaning lady? :p :cool:

BTW I am closer to you than the N&O unless Parham gets the wavier

I have a 7 yr bracketologist with a 95%+ rate, a duke opinion maker and 3 guys who know ball who write for me. So yeah, my staff. Unless you wanna talk about me directly. The guy who picked ND to be good a couple years ago. The guy who picked UNC to win the ACC last preseason and the guy who picked UVA to win the dance on selection Sunday last year. Sup?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have VT 15th as well. Comparing their roster to the other 4 schools i think will be in the bottom 5 and it just doesn't match up - even with those 4.

They have one returning player with significant ACC experience and that is PG Bede who avg less than 4 ppg last season and was my #80 ranked player in the ACC. He has more ACC min than all the other players on the roster combined.

They only have 1 player over 6'8 on the roster and that is a FR who is re-classifying from 2020 to come early and play. He has nice long term upside but isn't ready to play as a FR - especially physically.

Their likely starting C is 6'8, 205 and avg less than 20 mpg at AL St - which is the lowest of low div 1 programs in the SWAC. They also don't really have anybody to play at PF. That may fall to 6'5 PJ Horne who is really a mid-major player or they could play their third tallest player in Landers Nolley who is 6'7 - but he will not want to play inside - he wants to hang and the perimeter and shoot threes.

Coach Young has a big rebuild ahead of him. He's likely to start at least 3 and possibly 4 players who have never played a min of ACC basketball. That is not a recipe for success.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a 7 yr bracketologist with a 95%+ rate, a duke opinion maker and 3 guys who know ball who write for me. So yeah, my staff. Unless you wanna talk about me directly. The guy who picked ND to be good a couple years ago. The guy who picked UNC to win the ACC last preseason and the guy who picked UVA to win the dance on selection Sunday last year. Sup?

Damn I need to add another smiley face :D
And I actually agreed with you (y)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Since it's the paper I have delivered to my home, I would prefer you use its actual name, The Raleigh News & Observer. But, thanks for posting.

I like our lineup this year, but 7th seems at the high end where I think we will be. The ACC will not be quite as good as last year, but don't overlook teams like NC State, Cuse, and ND. Those teams are solid and well coached. Add Duke, UNC, UVA and UL, who are certainly at the top, and we will have a lot of tough games.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Since it's the paper I have delivered to my home, I would prefer you use its actual name, The Raleigh News & Observer. But, thanks for posting.

I like our lineup this year, but 7th seems at the high end where I think we will be. The ACC will not be quite as good as last year, but don't overlook teams like NC State, Cuse, and ND. Those teams are solid and well coached. Add Duke, UNC, UVA and UL, who are certainly at the top, and we will have a lot of tough games.

I don’t understand the Virginia love right now. I know Bennett is a great coach and that style levels the field a little bit but that roster was decimated. 78% of their made triples are gone, 56% of their free throws and 55% of their minutes played.

I have State and the Irish both ahead of the Wahoos right now until I see Morsell and the JUCO play at the D1 level.

My rankings:
1-Louisville
2-Duke
3-UNC
4-Notre Dame
5-NCST
6-UVA
7-FSU
8-GT
9-Miami
10-Syracuse
11-BC
12-Clemson
13-Pitt
14-Wake
15-VPI

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t understand the Virginia love right now. I know Bennett is a great coach and that style levels the field a little bit but that roster was decimated. 78% of their made triples are gone, 56% of their free throws and 55% of their minutes played.

I have State and the Irish both ahead of the Wahoos right now until I see Morsell and the JUCO play at the D1 level.

My rankings:
1-Louisville
2-Duke
3-UNC
4-Notre Dame
5-NCST
6-UVA
7-FSU
8-GT
9-Miami
10-Syracuse
11-BC
12-Clemson
13-Pitt
14-Wake
15-VPI
I don't quibble with you at all regarding your prediction. I think we will be favored or a toss up in 11 ACC games. That's based just on preseason stuff. I think we need 10 wins for the tournament. As Pastner says, "We have no margin for error." Maybe change no to little.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I have VT 15th as well. Comparing their roster to the other 4 schools i think will be in the bottom 5 and it just doesn't match up - even with those 4.

They have one returning player with significant ACC experience and that is PG Bede who avg less than 4 ppg last season and was my #80 ranked player in the ACC. He has more ACC min than all the other players on the roster combined.

They only have 1 player over 6'8 on the roster and that is a FR who is re-classifying from 2020 to come early and play. He has nice long term upside but isn't ready to play as a FR - especially physically.

Their likely starting C is 6'8, 205 and avg less than 20 mpg at AL St - which is the lowest of low div 1 programs in the SWAC. They also don't really have anybody to play at PF. That may fall to 6'5 PJ Horne who is really a mid-major player or they could play their third tallest player in Landers Nolley who is 6'7 - but he will not want to play inside - he wants to hang and the perimeter and shoot threes.

Coach Young has a big rebuild ahead of him. He's likely to start at least 3 and possibly 4 players who have never played a min of ACC basketball. That is not a recipe for success.
So you’re telling us GT will only play VT once each of the next 2 seasons?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have the same top 3 and bottom 5 - though I haven't really tried to sort them at any level lower than that.

The other 7 are really a jumble for me right now and frankly until all the waivers are decided it is hard to sort them. I do have NCST as likely top 5 or 6. UVA is all about how much you believe in Bennett as he hasn't had a team finish lower than 12th nationally in the final KenPom rankings the last 6 seasons. He will this year though. I do think they will finish in the top 1/2 of the league even with all the losses.
I like FSU to be in the Top 5. i think Hamilton is just stockpiling to much talent every year that players leave, players come and the results stay fairly consistent.

i am not nearly as high on ND as you are. They were 3-13 last season (tied with Pitt for last in the league). That is a long climb to Top 5 in the conference, much less #4.
They do get Pleuger and Carmondy back from injury and Plueger would have been one of their best players on last year's squad. But they lost DJ Harvey to transfer after the season. He was their 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder in ACC games last year (he was the 4th highest rated play for ND last year in my metrics and #68 overall in the ACC).
They have 0 recruits coming in.

They were awful both on offense and defense last year.
14th in scoring (ahead of only GT), 14th in FG% at .372 ahead of only Wake (gt was 8th in FG% in the ACC at .426), 13th in 3FG% which was 13th overall (and below GT).
on defense they were 12th in FG% defense and 11th in 3FG% defense. They were also 14th in rebounding margin ahead of only BC.

I expect Plueger and Carmody to make them a better team - especially on offense, but they were really bad last year and defense and rebounding isn't likely to be any better losing Harvey.
I think they climb into the middle 5, but I don't think they go better than .500 in the conference and frnakly i expect them to be sub .500. I'd probably right now put them toward the bottom of the top 10 in the ACC. Without Parham i think GT is a better ACC team right now than ND and with him i'm not sure it is even close. GT loses slightly more production (11.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg vs 10.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg) but they start from a higher spot with twice as many ACC wins last season than ND managed. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if GT finshed behind ND this year.

When the fall comes and i really try to rank them 1-15 I am sort of expecting GT to fall around 7th or 8th.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I have the same top 3 and bottom 5 - though I haven't really tried to sort them at any level lower than that.

The other 7 are really a jumble for me right now and frankly until all the waivers are decided it is hard to sort them. I do have NCST as likely top 5 or 6. UVA is all about how much you believe in Bennett as he hasn't had a team finish lower than 12th nationally in the final KenPom rankings the last 6 seasons. He will this year though. I do think they will finish in the top 1/2 of the league even with all the losses.
I like FSU to be in the Top 5. i think Hamilton is just stockpiling to much talent every year that players leave, players come and the results stay fairly consistent.

i am not nearly as high on ND as you are. They were 3-13 last season (tied with Pitt for last in the league). That is a long climb to Top 5 in the conference, much less #4.
They do get Pleuger and Carmondy back from injury and Plueger would have been one of their best players on last year's squad. But they lost DJ Harvey to transfer after the season. He was their 3rd leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder in ACC games last year (he was the 4th highest rated play for ND last year in my metrics and #68 overall in the ACC).
They have 0 recruits coming in.

They were awful both on offense and defense last year.
14th in scoring (ahead of only GT), 14th in FG% at .372 ahead of only Wake (gt was 8th in FG% in the ACC at .426), 13th in 3FG% which was 13th overall (and below GT).
on defense they were 12th in FG% defense and 11th in 3FG% defense. They were also 14th in rebounding margin ahead of only BC.

I expect Plueger and Carmody to make them a better team - especially on offense, but they were really bad last year and defense and rebounding isn't likely to be any better losing Harvey.
I think they climb into the middle 5, but I don't think they go better than .500 in the conference and frnakly i expect them to be sub .500. I'd probably right now put them toward the bottom of the top 10 in the ACC. Without Parham i think GT is a better ACC team right now than ND and with him i'm not sure it is even close. GT loses slightly more production (11.8 ppg, 7.0 rpg vs 10.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg) but they start from a higher spot with twice as many ACC wins last season than ND managed. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if GT finshed behind ND this year.

When the fall comes and i really try to rank them 1-15 I am sort of expecting GT to fall around 7th or 8th.

I hear ya. I knew I would take some heat for ND and I have. I am actually higher on them than some of the Slap the Sign guys. I really like Dane Goodwin as a sophomore and prentiss hubb couldn’t possibly be that bad again.

Also, Rex’s mom was dealing with a serious medical issue last year prior to his injury, which could explain his early struggles.

The Harvey transfer doesn’t bother me. Laz should step into that 3/4 spot and provide a better outside option. I’m also a huge Mooney and Gibbs fan.

I am high on us as well. When the 3MW guys said Syracuse would definitely be better I thought that was a head scratcher. Jalen Carey needs to be spectacular if Cuse is going to be anything and he underwhelmed last season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
During the Braves' slugfest last night I played around with this a bit. I think we agree on the top 3 and bottom 5. Unless something unusual happens, that prediction is probably solid. It's the middle 7 teams that I am having trouble sorting. I think ND could be right in the middle of this pack, not #4 overall. How we fare in our games with them could determine our position in the league. If I were placing them now, NC State would be my #4, with UVA maybe #5. Six through ten could be in any order.