NBA Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Really Bledsoe? They just drafted a PG and SG in rnd 1 and Dragic (3rd team all-NBA) is an unrestricted FA next year. You're not getting max.

ETA: Plus they signed Isaiah Thomas!! Somebody's getting traded.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
In an effort to bring up other subjects, it appears Chicago is back in the Love race trying to trade Gibson, Butler, and draft picks for him. It may just be me but I find that a much better deal than the deal for Wiggins and draft picks but apparently that is still the top deal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I'm Chicago I stand pat. A lesser Rose combined with Pau, Noah, Mirotic and McDermott is a better team than a lesser Rose, Love and Noah minus Gibson and Butler. I should preface that by saying I believe Love's numbers are inflated and the fact that he plays no D is an issue.

I was listening to NBA radio and Malik Rose was explaining how important Butler has become for them in terms of perimeter D (considering the state of officiating gives a premium to guys with a 'reputation' as a defender).

All that said, I think Love ends up a Cav. They'll win a lot of regular season games but will struggle to get out of the 2nd round IMO once they face a team like IND (yep, IND) or CHI.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
If I'm Chicago I stand pat. A lesser Rose combined with Pau, Noah, Mirotic and McDermott is a better team than a lesser Rose, Love and Noah minus Gibson and Butler. I should preface that by saying I believe Love's numbers are inflated and the fact that he plays no D is an issue.

I was listening to NBA radio and Malik Rose was explaining how important Butler has become for them in terms of perimeter D (considering the state of officiating gives a premium to guys with a 'reputation' as a defender).

All that said, I think Love ends up a Cav. They'll win a lot of regular season games but will struggle to get out of the 2nd round IMO once they face a team like IND (yep, IND) or CHI.
I completely agree with you about Chicago that’s why IMO it’s a better deal for Min to take. Jimmy Butler is young, plays great D, and still gets you 13-14 ppg. I’m a huge fan of Taj Gibson as well. I think he’s an upgrade from Boozer although they split time about 50/50 with Boozer starting. If he played a full 36 minutes a game and Noah wasn’t rebounding everything in sight I’m sure he’d be an 18/11 player.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I completely agree with you about Chicago that’s why IMO it’s a better deal for Min to take. Jimmy Butler is young, plays great D, and still gets you 13-14 ppg. I’m a huge fan of Taj Gibson as well. I think he’s an upgrade from Boozer although they split time about 50/50 with Boozer starting. If he played a full 36 minutes a game and Noah wasn’t rebounding everything in sight I’m sure he’d be an 18/11 player.

Ew, article says the Bulls are offering Gibson, McDermott and Mirotic.
The Chicago Bulls have offered a package of Taj Gibson and rookies Doug McDermott and Nikola Mirotic to the Minnesota Timberwolves for All-Star forward Kevin Love, a league source told SheridanHoops.com on Wednesday.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/0...ffered-gibson-mcdermott-and-mirotic-for-love/

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe smart if they have Derrick Rose playing but if he’s still injured, it’s a bad trade.

I still say that's too much.

In other interesting news, apparently Harden wins the world's greatest teammate award this week.
Harden said he’s looking forward to playing for the US at the World Cup. Training camp begins Monday. As for the Rockets’ future, Harden said he’s not worried that Jeremy Lin has left for the Los Angeles Lakers and Chandler Parsons for the Dallas Mavericks. “Dwight (Howard) and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets,” said Harden. “The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We’ve lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we’ll be fine next season.”

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2014/07/24/1349730/harden-says-phl-gilas-could-play-spurs

Whether he's right or not (he's not) that's not something you say out loud.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Harden gets a pass. I'm sure it was just the beard talking anyway.

Speaking of 'pass', that's what Harden's man does whenever he tries to play "defense". He simply passes him ...

I think I posted this before, but I still think it's hilarious. No way this guy's a superstar. Defense is half of the game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
What @dtm1997, you don't think re-signing Mack is that power move for my Hawks? :rolleyes:

Anyway, looks like things are getting ugly between the Suns and Bledsoe:

http://www.csnnw.com/nba/sources-suns-relationship-star-eric-bledsoe-verge-irreparable

So a guy who's never played a full season as a starter, and who's the 2nd best PG on his own team, now deserves a max deal (his max is only around $14-15 mil per but still)?

I'd venture to say he's getting poor advice. As far as I can tell, Rich Paul's most redeeming quality as an 'agent' is the fact he fetched gatorade for Lebron when they were in grade school. Bledsoe needs to wake up and smell the conflict of interest.

What he should do at this point is sign the QO (if it hasn't been rescinded), play out the season and enter next offseason as an unrestricted FA with a real agent so he can hopefully land in a better position. But he won't do that because he's always hurt and signing a one-year prove-it deal would destroy any chance he has to get paid (like it did to Bynum). So you won't even bet on yourself staying healthy, but the Suns are supposed to pay you max?! Maddening.

Or he could hire a new agent, go back to the Suns and sign their more-than-generous contract offer (again, if it hasn't been rescinded). 4 years at $12mil per dwarfs what's available to him at this point. The only team with enough money to beat that is the Sixers and they won't sign him for fear that he might actually tank their tanking efforts. Good job advocating for your client Rich. :meh:

Oh well, I leave you with another hilarious display of 'basketball'. This time from one of my all-time least favorite players, John Lucas III (glorified cheerleader)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
http://www.morningjournal.com/sport...ace?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
In a rather new development, it now looks as if Love won’t sign an extension with any team in which he’s traded, even the Cavaliers. He can get far more money if he becomes a free agent in the summer of 2015, and re-signs with the team in which he is traded.

Hmm, so now he allegedly won't even re-sign with the Cavs if traded there? If I'm Cle I don't trade Wiggins for Love if he doesn't agree to re-sign first. (It'll never happen for a myriad of reasons, but) If I'm Minnesota I consider putting him on ice until the trade deadline. There will be better deals available by then from teams thinking he can put them over the top.