NBA Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given Teague is the primary option, if Schroeder is on his way to being special and the Hawks are likely to be a playoff team regardless, I throw him in there as the primary back up. Better to take his lumps on a winner and show he can handle the adversity.

Just my opinion @ATL1 & @kg01.

As far as Melo goes, now it's time to show he's the leader that can make everyone better and create wins. This season is a wash. Honestly, I wouldn't mind missing the playoffs because despite a likely weaker 2015 draft class, there are a few players I wouldn't mind a crack at.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Eric - they're interviewing Clifford during the summer league game and you'll be happy to know MKG is working on reconstructing his shot... with Mark Price.

They're also high on Zeller & Vonleh. Looking up.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Eric - they're interviewing Clifford during the summer league game and you'll be happy to know MKG is working on reconstructing his shot... with Mark Price.
Didn't they work together all this past year? Remember seeing footage. Any improvement?

That'll be a NO to both.. Not happening.
Especially with Stephenson.

Saw a rumor from a guy on Hawsquawk that the front office is not considering Stephenson.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So the losers of the offseason are starting to shape up ...

1. Miami - Lost game's best player so they go from lock-contender to just another playoff team. Responded well in signing Deng but now 2/5 of the starting lineup are almost sure to miss time due to injuries.
2. Houston - Came into the offseason with visions of Melo or LeBron dancing in their heads. Lost Asik, Lin and Parsons for nothing due to the chase. Signed the ultimate contract-year performer in Ariza who they've now signed twice (due to contract-year bumps in production).
3. Atlanta - Drafted a good though redundant PF and were unable to land a starting-caliber SF in FA (unless something crazy happens). Missed on Deng (happy about that, but we still need a starter), Parsons, Hayward, don't want Stephenson and Pau took $7+mil per year rather than $11mil/yr we allegedly offered. Have been bypassed by Wizards and maybe Charlotte in division (yeah I said maybe Hornet fans).

Who y'all got? Who are the winners so far?

Well, winners other than Cleveland anyways. This can't be said enough, the Cavs lost James then went on to land not 1, not 2 but 3 #1 picks in a "lottery" along with another top 5 pick. Then, after all that, the best player in the game comes back. I'm no draft conspiracy-theorist but ... c'mon NBA. In the immortal words of Mark Jackson, "You're better than that."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So the losers of the offseason are starting to shape up ...

3. Atlanta - Drafted a good though redundant PF and were unable to land a starting-caliber SF in FA (unless something crazy happens). Missed on Deng (happy about that, but we still need a starter), Parsons, Hayward, don't want Stephenson and Pau took $7+mil per year rather than $11mil/yr we allegedly offered. Have been bypassed by Wizards and maybe Charlotte in division (yeah I said maybe Hornet fans).
"

AAAAHHHH!!!!! The Ghost of Billy Knight is back!

Winners:
Chris Bosh & Anthony Morrow for new deals.
Daniel Miller for getting a crack at the NBA.
Glen Rice Jr, who's playing well enough to maybe earn some time this year behind Beal.
Jarrett Jack, who stated he's happy about being in Brooklyn, so I'll take that at face value.
Derrick Favors & Thaddeus Young for having more talent on their teams that might help win a few more games.
Iman Shumpert for Phil Jackson preferring to keep him around as of now.
Will Bynum for finally getting on twitter and just because he's one of my favorite Jackets.

Although I wouldn't call them winners, the fact you didn't list the Knicks as losers is a win in my book. Doesn't happen too often during one of these roster move/draft recap conversations.

FWIW, while watching a bit of the Hornets game yesterday, not that I disliked them, it felt easier to like them now that they're the Hornets again. Weird, but true.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Can’t believe the Rockets would let a 25yo Parson’s walk like that and replace him with Trevor Ariza. They just screwed themselves from ever being a Championship contender in the West.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
FWIW, while watching a bit of the Hornets game yesterday, not that I disliked them, it felt easier to like them now that they're the Hornets again. Weird, but true.
It makes life easier. I actually moved from Charlotte to New Orleans the same time the team moved down there and tried to keep rooting for them because there wasn’t a team in Charlotte but I just didn’t really care about them anymore. Then the Bobcats came and I was happy to have a team to root for but it was just never the same. I think the whole city kind of felt that way.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
AAAAHHHH!!!!! The Ghost of Billy Knight is back!

Winners:
Chris Bosh & Anthony Morrow for new deals.
Daniel Miller for getting a crack at the NBA.
Glen Rice Jr, who's playing well enough to maybe earn some time this year behind Beal.
Jarrett Jack, who stated he's happy about being in Brooklyn, so I'll take that at face value.
Derrick Favors & Thaddeus Young for having more talent on their teams that might help win a few more games.
Iman Shumpert for Phil Jackson preferring to keep him around as of now.
Will Bynum for finally getting on twitter and just because he's one of my favorite Jackets.

Although I wouldn't call them winners, the fact you didn't list the Knicks as losers is a win in my book. Doesn't happen too often during one of these roster move/draft recap conversations.

Hmm, I notice a theme in your "Winners" ... and I like it.

ETA: Speaking of Thad Young, I really think the Hawks should look at trying to acquire him as our SF. He's been a PF for Philly but I think he can man the SF for us quite well.

Everyone laughs at the capped-out Knicks, but they've got a shot after this coming season. If they're able to jettison Amare this year (to PHI supposedly) they may even have a shot to do something this year. I think they'll lose one of Shump or THJr to do it though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No need to jettison Amare before the trade deadline or potentially at all. He & Bargnani both come off the books at the end of 2015.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Melo has apparently stepped up and won't make the max. Word is that his salary will actually decline after this season to allow for additional flexibility.

Using a $65MM cap for next summer, flat to this year, they'd have $29MM of space. Let's say Shump costs $7MM - $9MM to keep, which he likely will. Still leaves you with $20MM to play with. Could probably sign Kevin Love outright for that, who would make up for any rebounding lost.

Fill the middle with serviceable, but minimum bigs. JR comes off the cap the following year.

Long story short, it's possible the Knicks flexibility isn't totally effed for the 1st time in years.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No need to jettison Amare before the trade deadline or potentially at all. He & Bargnani both come off the books at the end of 2015.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Melo has apparently stepped up and won't make the max. Word is that his salary will actually decline after this season to allow for additional flexibility.

Using a $65MM cap for next summer, flat to this year, they'd have $29MM of space. Let's say Shump costs $7MM - $9MM to keep, which he likely will. Still leaves you with $20MM to play with. Could probably sign Kevin Love outright for that, who would make up for any rebounding lost.

Fill the middle with serviceable, but minimum bigs. JR comes off the cap the following year.

Long story short, it's possible the Knicks flexibility isn't totally effed for the 1st time in years.

Oh, I hear you on Amare/Bargs but if you can get value now why wait? Agree the Knicks' future is as potentially bright as it has been in a loooooong time.

Someone needs to inform the Rockets that it's ok to hit a single or double every once in a while, i.e. coach-up/develop the guys you draft. You don't have to swing for the fences every time.
Not sure what assets they still have left to trade but I guess they're gonna dig their heels in and swing away.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
By passed by the Wizards how??

I think we have a far better coach, but they have the better, deeper roster (even minus Ariza). Plus, whatever growth we achieved via playoff experience this past season, they achieved as well. At worst, they're equal to us when both teams are fully healthy IMO.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Would this count as definitive word that the Wiz have bypassed the Hawks in the East?