NBA proposes lowering draft age to union

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Long overdue. Was a terrible compromise and bad for the players and the college game.

It’s not the NBA’s prerogative to make sure the NCAA has a good product. Their concern is teams drafting players who weren’t physically/mentally ready for the league taking up roster spots in the NBA without proper evaluation and watering down their product. It’s no coincidence the NBA gotten better since kids stopped coming out of HS

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s not the NBA’s prerogative to make sure the NCAA has a good product. Their concern is teams drafting players who weren’t physically/mentally ready for the league taking up roster spots in the NBA without proper evaluation and watering down their product. It’s no coincidence the NBA gotten better since kids stopped coming out of HS

That makes sense but then they should have made it 20 instead of 19.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That makes sense but then they should have made it 20 instead of 19.

There would be riots in the streets. Insurance companies would like it however

I also gives zero effs about the NBA. Let em go straight to the L. It’s not like we don’t know the conference finals before each season. Super teams make the NBA more like Survivor.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First off, Pea is 100% correct on why the rule was implemented in the first place. it was only for the NBA's benefit. They were having to scout HS kids and try to project how they would play against grown men. Not surprisingly there were alot of misses - even among the top ranked players in classes.

Second, look at when the implementation is set for if the union eventually agrees to the proposal. 2022. So you have at least 2 more years before this would go into effect at a minimum. Could be longer if the union does not agree and further negotiations are needed.

This also says nothing about what will happen at the college level. From that standpoint a young man could still be a one and done, it just means he had a big FR year and decides to leave. Unless the colleges and NCAA implemented a rule that required players to stay a certain number of years in college, you will still have early departures. What you don't have are the 5* type talents that decide they don't want to pretend to go to college (which is fine by me, better off for both parties). I do not expect such a rule to be implemented.

herb

Helluva Engineer
First off, Pea is 100% correct on why the rule was implemented in the first place. it was only for the NBA's benefit. They were having to scout HS kids and try to project how they would play against grown men. Not surprisingly there were alot of misses - even among the top ranked players in classes.

Second, look at when the implementation is set for if the union eventually agrees to the proposal. 2022. So you have at least 2 more years before this would go into effect at a minimum. Could be longer if the union does not agree and further negotiations are needed.

This also says nothing about what will happen at the college level. From that standpoint a young man could still be a one and done, it just means he had a big FR year and decides to leave. Unless the colleges and NCAA implemented a rule that required players to stay a certain number of years in college, you will still have early departures. What you don't have are the 5* type talents that decide they don't want to pretend to go to college (which is fine by me, better off for both parties). I do not expect such a rule to be implemented.

Colleges and the NCAA cannot implement that rule. The unions can though establish the rule as to their membership and it would be ok. I believe that is what has been done in baseball and football, with baseball providing the come out after high school or wait three years, and the NFL simply being not draftable until after three.

The rule was certainly implemented for the reasons noted above, but it has hurt college basketball and it has hurt to some degree the NBA as before the NBA was getting players many were familiar with, having seen most for three years in the tournament and knowing who the kids were. These days the NBA probably doesn't need it given all of the social media, but it has not been good at all for the NCAA as there is little continuity.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I have to agree with Calipari on this subject. Going from the supervised world of HS to the unsupervised world of the NBA (and with lots of money) is not good for the kids. Even one year in college is a better transition.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can the NBA still not draft and stash them in Europe or the D-League (Does that even exist any more?) if they aren't ready for the pros yet?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t matter if the top 5 kids to go the draft. Kentucky and duke will still pa....errr....recruit....the top kids that are going to school. Nothing will change
Coach K is 73 this year. That will be used against him in recruiting. One and dones don't care since they will be gone before he retires. He has had some medical issues so not sure how many more years he plans to coach. Coach Cal has a lot of years left but some of the top HS recruits may go straight to the NBA if they change the rule. It will change the current model.