NBA Offseason: Giddy up

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, I was a prophet on Dedmon. Lotto numbers comin' up next.

Love what the Hawks did in building talented depth. Gallinari on a big but fair (i.e. trade-able later) deal, Rondo to mentor Trae/give playoff experience when the time comes, Dunn to add defensive presence/eat reg season minutes for Rondo, and the offer sheet on Bogdanovic.

Bogd could end up being overkill at the 2/3 but I say it's a good problem to have. We've just gone through 3 seasons with no depth, so it'll be good to see what it feels like to not have the team fall off a cliff when the starters sit.
I don’t understand the Rondo signing at all. Five years ago, maybe.
From what I’m seeing Bogdandovic and Collins both look to be playing the 4, with Bogdanovic on a 4 year contract. Doesn’t bode well for the max contract Collins wants 🥴
Aside from PG, this team is going to be crazy deep. I have to wonder about minutes, and what happens with Reddish and Huerter.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t understand the Rondo signing at all. Five years ago, maybe.
From what I’m seeing Bogdandovic and Collins both look to be playing the 4, with Bogdanovic on a 4 year contract. Doesn’t bode well for the max contract Collins wants 🥴
Aside from PG, this team is going to be crazy deep. I have to wonder about minutes, and what happens with Reddish and Huerter.

Well, lemme break it down. Rondo has become well known in player circles as a mentor, future coach. He's here to mentor Trae but can't be relied upon, at this stage, to be available night in/night out. That's why Dunn was signed. Come playoff time, Rondo will play a larger role on-court.

Bogd is a 2/3, but I think you meant Gallinari? Gallo will get time at 4/3 as Collins' backup. He'll play with Collins when he plays 5. His presence, imho, doesn't preclude them from paying Collins either. Ownership has committed to spending unlike prior groups. These moves are about building talented depth. But they will present the coaching staff with problems finding guys minutes.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm liking the Hawks roster right now. Trae Young has more veteran help now. I'm curious to see how Reddish, Huerter, and Hunter develop.

I think, if it's done right, they'll be pushed back into roles more fitting their experience. That should help them continue to develop.

Per twitter, Gallinari's 3rd year is a partial guarantee with only $5mil of the deal being guaranteed. That's huge and makes that deal significantly better in my eyes. He also reportedly agreed to coming off the bench which is also huge when it comes to roster/minute management.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Budenholzer would have killed it with this roster. We’ve never really seen what Pierce can do—he’s got a really short runway to get all these new players to play together.

slugboy

Staff member
Peachtree Hoops write up on the additions, and how they change the Hawks 3 point shooting: https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020...t-analysis-danilo-gallinari-bogdan-bogdanovic

I’d been looking at this as an “add a forward and a wing and an old guard” set of moves, instead of “outside of Trae and Huerter, our outside shooting stinks” set of moves. With Capela in the middle (finally) the Hawks will have a much better 5 than they’ve had in years, and the outside shooting should open up the inside a lot—even when we have 3 outside shooters, much less 4.

The videos show some of the plays Pierce was running, so you get a tiny idea of his coaching.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Season's here. Hawks look like they'll need more time to figure things out with the new additions. Should've anticipated that.

Warriors look awful tonight. Gonna be a long and expensive year in San Fran.

slugboy

Staff member
Season's here. Hawks look like they'll need more time to figure things out with the new additions. Should've anticipated that.

Warriors look awful tonight. Gonna be a long and expensive year in San Fran.
Capela doesn’t seem to be 100% yet.

92.9 interviewed long time NBA player Robert Horry. He thought we needed more players to rebound and get to the basket, and let Trae and a couple of others shoot outside. He thought that Bog and Gallinardi do the same role as Trae.

Maybe I don’t understand the terms well, but Collins wanting a max contract seems to be a tall order. He has a lot of potential, but he’s not playing all star ball. He’s had an all star worthy second half last season, but he only played half a season.

slugboy

Staff member
Trae Young has 27 points off of 9 shots in the first half of the season opener against the Bulls. The Hawks have scored 83 points in the first half.
They are ahead at halftime
And this is with their starting center and backup center injured and not even dressed for the game

slugboy

Staff member
Trae Young has 27 points off of 9 shots in the first half of the season opener against the Bulls. The Hawks have scored 83 points in the first half.
They are ahead at halftime
And this is with their starting center and backup center injured and not even dressed for the game
They won 124-104. Their lead peaked in the 30’s.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We looked about the same. 1 or 2 players putting up points while the rest watch and completely incapable of playing basketball in the paint both offensively and defensively.

Probably the worst front court in the entire NBA. Hopefully Zeller fracturing his hand forces us to roll with the rookies but I doubt it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
They won 124-104. Their lead peaked in the 30’s.
How dare you? The lead peaked at 40 in the 3rd. CHI looked absolutely clueless. As impressive as that drubbing was, the MEM win was even more impressive when you consider the Grizzlies have just had their number lately.

A nice little rivalry brewing there between Trae and Ja who was clearly frustrated he didn't get the respect Young did/does.

And, surprise, Grayson Allen with another tripping controversy. He and Trae are gonna come to blows at some point.
We looked about the same. 1 or 2 players putting up points while the rest watch and completely incapable of playing basketball in the paint both offensively and defensively.

Probably the worst front court in the entire NBA. Hopefully Zeller fracturing his hand forces us to roll with the rookies but I doubt it.

You're talking Hornets, right? Impressive win last night vs the Nets.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You're talking Hornets, right? Impressive win last night vs the Nets.
It was. Still don't think we're anywhere close to a playoff team. Hayward looks like his old self but the front court is still terrible and Devonte Graham only puts up points from volume shooting.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It was. Still don't think we're anywhere close to a playoff team. Hayward looks like his old self but the front court is still terrible and Devonte Graham only puts up points from volume shooting.

Playoffs will be tough especially from that division considering just about every team got better (at least arguably). Good thing is all you gotta be is a 10-seed to have a chance at the play-in.

Graham, imho, is like a lotta guards in the league. Given opportunity and a favorable role, a lot of them can score. It's the other stuff that makes guards elite.