Navy Game

So I was watching Navy BYU. Now I will always say that BYU should be more regulated because 2/3rds of their team are 25 years old. That being said, coach Ken decided to have no contact and no scrimmaging before the season, and man it showed. Navy was just man handled. Football is a game of aggression and if they were that afraid of Covid then it would have been better for them to cancel the season. I sure hope we have been going full contact in practice. Interesting that Army and Monken did not and blew out their first opponent.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So I was watching Navy BYU. Now I will always say that BYU should be more regulated because 2/3rds of their team are 25 years old. That being said, coach Ken decided to have no contact and no scrimmaging before the season, and man it showed. Navy was just man handled. Football is a game of aggression and if they were that afraid of Covid then it would have been better for them to cancel the season. I sure hope we have been going full contact in practice. Interesting that Army and Monken did not and blew out their first opponent.

Pretty much agree with everything you said, except as you state, BYU has some very large, very athletic, future NFL type players, so even if Navy had prepared more aggressively, they probably still get beat, but probably not as bad. Army faced MTSU, and I think Navy would have given them a decent game.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I sure hope we've been going full contact.... I assume we have due to multiple scrimmages but wow they were soft tonight.
I think they were flat out not prepared to play football. The TO getting beat that bad??? They made BYU look like the steel curtain.

My guess is we have been going HARD in practice. Simply because I have heard Thacker say several times by the amount of VIOLENCE has increased tremendously on defense. It's kind of an odd word to use in an interview in today's more sensitive society, and I'm one to normally err on the side of caution.... but man do I LOVE IT!!!!!
Football is meant to be violent. I hope Riq, Curry, Knight, and Howard lay the effin hammer down Saturday afternoon. If these FSU WRs and RBs aren't seeing stars and questioning where they are at, then we aren't hitting hard enough!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Navy was totally out manned on their OL and DL. A new QB didn't help. There are times when the TO just doesn't have advantages if it can't consistently get 4 yards every play and control the clock.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Army game made me miss the 3O and wonder wistfully what CPJ/Woody could have looked like in '19. A CPJ offense with Oliver/Graham, Mason, Cottrell, and an OL of Braun, Lee, Cooper, DeFoor, Minihan and Quinney. A Woody defense fully installed with the secondary talent we had.

The 3O is a beautiful and dreadful machine when it's working... But then I watched the Navy game and had flashbacks to 2017.

I still love the option. But I kind of don't miss Tech being an option team (at least not yet). I'll get my fix watching Army and Navy, etc.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We have definitely been hitting at practice. Thacker talks about it in one of the athletic interviews a week or so ago. He also addressed it in a press availability session.
We tackle using a “thud tackle” which is similar to rugby tackling. He mentioned that the technique we use allows us to still practice the fundamentals during one on one drills without the need for full scrimmages. We did get two full tackle scrimmages though in addition to period based drill work.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's been very quiet on injuries. Usually by now we have beat up each other and several are out for a while. Being close to 100% healthy would be very encouraging and that's not considering C19 issues.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I watched until halftime. I gotta say, watching Navy’s O-line get blown up at the LOS did not make me miss the TO. The game looked and felt all too familiar.
But navy looked soulless out there. I heard them make the comment they didn’t practice any live tackling leading until the game. It was ugly.

BYU is still trash though. Easy to win with grown man strength at every position lol

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched until halftime. I gotta say, watching Navy’s O-line get blown up at the LOS did not make me miss the TO. The game looked and felt all too familiar.
But navy looked soulless out there. I heard them make the comment they didn’t practice any live tackling leading until the game. It was ugly.

BYU is still trash though. Easy to win with grown man strength at every position lol
I also think they decided to hold the O linemen every play until it was called, and it never was. Typical TO defense by opponents that don’t mind stretching the rules a little

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Army game made me miss the 3O and wonder wistfully what CPJ/Woody could have looked like in '19. A CPJ offense with Oliver/Graham, Mason, Cottrell, and an OL of Braun, Lee, Cooper, DeFoor, Minihan and Quinney. A Woody defense fully installed with the secondary talent we had.

The 3O is a beautiful and dreadful machine when it's working... But then I watched the Navy game and had flashbacks to 2017.

I still love the option. But I kind of don't miss Tech being an option team (at least not yet). I'll get my fix watching Army and Navy, etc.

Not to bring up old sh!t, but much was made that Woody didn't have full leash for his defense under CPJ. Maybe in season 2 he might have had it, but alas, we didn't get to see it play out. I thought Woody's defense would have been a fantastic complement to CPJ's offense. Happy to see Woody do well at Army since he'd probably be at Louisville if he didn't jump to GT from App State.

I won't lie, I did watch the Army and Navy games with a tinge of wistfulness. I do miss watching defenses flailing when the option machine is humming along. Like you said, I can get my fix watching CPJ's disciples play.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not to bring up old sh!t, but much was made that Woody didn't have full leash for his defense under CPJ. Maybe in season 2 he might have had it, but alas, we didn't get to see it play out. I thought Woody's defense would have been a fantastic complement to CPJ's offense. Happy to see Woody do well at Army since he'd probably be at Louisville if he didn't jump to GT from App State.

I won't lie, I did watch the Army and Navy games with a tinge of wistfulness. I do miss watching defenses flailing when the option machine is humming along. Like you said, I can get my fix watching CPJ's disciples play.
A close friend of mine is a WestPoint grad so I have adopted Army when Woody went that way. It is going to be fun watching them feast this season.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What sucked about the end of Paul’s tenure is we rarely ran true triple option. For some reason he fell in love with the Counter with Taquon. With Tobias it seemed like he didn’t trust him to make the reads and ran a lot of QB sweep.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
What sucked about the end of Paul’s tenure is we rarely ran true triple option. For some reason he fell in love with the Counter with Taquon. With Tobias it seemed like he didn’t trust him to make the reads and ran a lot of QB sweep.

We scored plenty of points and the averages rushing were quite good under TQM. Him running the option was not really the issue even though the play set was a little different (and he had many more attempts than other QBs). But too much was on his shoulders. Benson and Mason (as a FR) were very capable but not Dwyer. We didn't have the interior OL of 2014 to maul folks. When the interior was clogged and rocket toss covered, TQM had to try and do it with his legs or his arm, often with a lot of pressure in his face. Even JeT couldn't do it all himself when the OL and backs moved on or got hurt in 2015. TQM just wasn't complete enough a QB for us, and the defense let us down. A lot of games came down to a turnover or stop here or there. The 2-3 times per year the offense couldn't get much of anything going is about what you expect for 90% of teams every year.

Jmonty71

Banned
That game was ugly and proved that no contact practices lead to major on field issues. Will this happen to all schools? Probably not, talent level also plays a different. Size...speed.... List can go on. BYU was bigger and faster, however; that sharpness that Navy usually plays with, wasn't there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't know that this game proved anything other than BYU played significantly better than Navy. I do know that COVID protocols at the Academies affect their teams in ways that normal schools can bypass.